Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Bowie Influence » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Bowie Influence
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

The Bowie Influence Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Was just listening to Zoom Daddy yesterday (the song, not the album) and it reminded me of "Ashes to Ashes" by David Bowie - especially the words being spoken under the vocals.

Doppelganger also seems to have some Bowie influence on it. Any other songs/albums by DA/SE that have a Bowie vibe?

11-28-2002 00:48 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This was briefly discussed on another thread a couple of months ago. Someone said that Ashes To Ashes sounded like Doppelganger.

11-28-2002 11:34 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
morimoto
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-10-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

wasn't 'My Room' practically a cover of 'Golden Years'?
11-28-2002 13:03 morimoto is offline Send an Email to morimoto Search for Posts by morimoto Add morimoto to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought of that before, but yes I see the similarity.

11-28-2002 17:29 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Thread Starter Thread Started by arcticsunburn

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
This was briefly discussed on another thread a couple of months ago. Someone said that Ashes To Ashes sounded like Doppelganger.

I think it's the other way around. Big Grin

Admittedly, a lot of Doppelganger appears to be Bowie-esque.

11-28-2002 23:11 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

Actually, that was probably me (and I said that Scary Monsters sounded like Doppelgagner and Vox Humana).

11-28-2002 23:12 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Mark Mark is a male

Yes, it was you, I think. I thought we also discussed Scary Monsters. I then went and grabbed a couple of my Bowie CD's to listen to the songs from those albums.

11-29-2002 08:31 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

I'm just a casual Bowie fan... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

(all I own is his greatest hits package. However....

One day when I was working in the youth area and cranking "Vox Humana", our custodian happened by during "Sanctuary" and asked, "Uh, are you jammin' to Bowie?" I had never thought of it, but that song does carry some Bowie influence in it.
11-29-2002 22:27 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

i had a similar experience over 10 years ago.

i was working in a classroom for disabled adults. Cleaning the room at the end of the day, i was playing vox humana, and a co-worker asserted that Sanctuary sounded like Bowie.
11-30-2002 00:24 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by morimoto
wasn't 'My Room' practically a cover of 'Golden Years'?

They do sound quite alike!

11-30-2002 01:53 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Yes, it was you, I think. I thought we also discussed Scary Monsters. I then went and grabbed a couple of my Bowie CD's to listen to the songs from those albums.

Which ones?

I really like Scary Monsters. Maybe because it's the first Bowie album I listened to all the way through. But it's real special.

11-30-2002 01:55 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
i had a similar experience over 10 years ago.

i was working in a classroom for disabled adults. Cleaning the room at the end of the day, i was playing vox humana, and a co-worker asserted that Sanctuary sounded like Bowie.

My experience was quite the opposite. I was listening to Bowie and my friend said it sounded like Daniel Amos!

11-30-2002 01:55 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

I always thought that "Strong Points, Weak Points" bore a strong resemblance to "China Girl"...in a weak sorta way...

11-30-2002 16:54 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Big Grin
11-30-2002 17:17 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by EdHead
I always thought that "Strong Points, Weak Points" bore a strong resemblance to "China Girl"...in a weak sorta way...

Don't think I've heard that one ("Strong Points, Weak Points").

12-01-2002 00:54 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Bowie Influence

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH