Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Where did you get the music? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Where did you get the music?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Where did you get the music? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Those of you who submitted to the DAmb disk had to figure out the music one way or another. Did you all just figure it out or did you find it somewhere. I want to start experimenting for vol. 2 Big Grin

12-29-2002 23:24 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

well this place is a pretty good place Smile

12-29-2002 23:40 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Thread Starter Thread Started by dorfsmith
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Woo Hoo I just checked it out. Thanks!

12-29-2002 23:44 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

no problem...my pleasure

12-29-2002 23:47 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

Wes is one cool cat! Thanks again, Wes.

12-30-2002 16:43 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
Thanks again, Wes.

no really, you're welcome! let's get together again(and soon) and make some more music.

12-30-2002 16:55 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I'm game. Just say the word.

12-30-2002 16:57 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin

Jasoooooon rocks! We were both going through a divorce at the same time and he e-mailed some encouraging words to me off-list from the dadl... Big Grin

12-30-2002 17:34 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:

Jasoooooon rocks! We were both going through a divorce at the same time and he e-mailed some encouraging words to me off-list from the dadl... Big Grin

Thanks Joey, I was just going to post that BPlusChords was Jason's web site. Pleased

(Jasooooon did Outdoor Elvis on MORE dämb it BTW)

BD
12-30-2002 17:43 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Carlctic
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-26-2002

quote:

I used it. The rest I figured out on my own and played it my own way.

Not that it matters... The track turned out pretty horrendous. Tongue
12-30-2002 23:30 Carlctic is offline Send an Email to Carlctic Search for Posts by Carlctic Add Carlctic to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

A Horrendous Disc?

12-31-2002 20:45 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

A Horrendous Track, maybe. Pleased

01-02-2003 02:48 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

angels tuck you in Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just uses E, A, B and once in a while F#
Then at the end it uses C, D and E

Give it a try. These, of coarse, are not the original chords. Originally it was in the key of C or D--something like that!

Guitarzan!
01-03-2003 11:39 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I just keep messing around with the guitar until I figure it out.... although it helps to have a "key" song to get you started -- for example, The Who's "Substitute" is the ultimate D song, and there was a song our band did called "Slamming Door Repeats" that I always use for G (although, for a more readily accessible reference point, I ripped off the piano line from Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" for the bass line for that song so that'll work too)....

carl
can't read a lick of music
(but can usually figure it out inside of 15 minutes)

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
01-03-2003 11:55 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Jim needs to read that. He was just talking about Against The Wind.

01-03-2003 22:12 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Thread Starter Thread Started by dorfsmith

I think this needs to be at the top.

02-12-2003 16:27 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

that is a cool link!

Thanks! Smile )

02-14-2003 15:49 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

To the top

02-14-2003 18:57 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

Dorfsmith: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

To figure out a song, I first look for guitar tab (like on the B+ site) or sheet music, as a starting point. If it's not available, or to improve upon what was available, I pick it out by ear, playing the song over and over while playing guitar (or a keyboard) along with it until I figure out some of the details.

One recent addition to my software has helped as well. I purchased (from CompUSA.com) Guitar Tracks 2.0 by Cakewalk Software. It is a recording program designed for use by guitar players. One fantastic feature it includes is called "Slow Blast." This tool lets you record part of a song (from a CD or .wav file) and slow it down WITHOUT changing its pitch. You can then play that slowed down section over and over while playing along using your ear to pick out the notes, chords, whatever. (You might be able to purchase "Slow Blast" by itself; search the internet for "Slow Blast.") I had tried figuring out the intro to Randy Stonehill's "Christmas Song For All Year 'Round" many times but was never successful. Using "Slow Blast", I figured it out in about 20 to 30 minutes by having it play the intro over and over at about half speed and using our electronic keyboard to (by ear) figure out what guitar notes were being played.

Another idea I haven't employed yet is to record a song from a CD into a .wav file (I use Creative Labs' "Wave Studio" that came with my computer's sound card) and then use that software's ability to play a highlighted section of the song over and over. For example, if I could tell that one measure (or small section) of the song was basically one chord, I could highlight that portion of the song, have the software loop it during playback, and then play different chords on my guitar or keyboard till I found the one that seemed best. Or, I could play individual notes, noting which ones were in tune with the section, and then determine chord possibilities based on those notes.

One could even get down to the single note level in this manner: If there was a lead guitar part I wanted to figure out I could highlight the section containing just the first note, then using a guitar or keyboard, play with it until I found the correct note. Make a note of what note that is, highlight the next note in the song's lead part and figure it out, add it to the note(s) previously figured out, lather, rinse, repeat, until I've got all the notes figured out, then practice until I can play the lead part decently.

Whew!

I have another tool at my disposal, my wife. A long-time piano player, she has a good ear for pitch, especially piano pieces. If I'm having trouble with some part of a song I'll ask her to help. She's usually able to get something that sounds about right after a little bit. Or, at least get me looking in the right direction...

Now, a practical example:

For "In The Calling" (DAmb it disc 1) I put the song on repeat on the CD player and I just strummed my guitar, matching by ear the chords as closely as I could. This took a number of repeats of the song to get most of the chords and chord changes. I got some help from my wife ("What sounds better, this or this?") and went back through it some more. This gave me the basic chords. I wrote out the lyrics and put the chords above them. Then, for a part for Melody ("Dolpin") to play on the keyboard, I used the keyboard to figure out the melody line; sometimes with the song playing, sometimes not. This was only two phrases of a verse's melody; all that Melody plays on the recording. I decided to see if I could incorporate the melody into my guitar chord strumming (thinking of the Beatles' "Here Comes The Sun" which I had learned while in high school.) I tried a couple of capo positions until I found that playing the song capo'd at the 5th fret and using chords in the key of G (makes the actual key played to be C) was the best way that I could include the melody line in my strumming. I then used the guitar set up like this to figure out the rest of the melody for the verses and chorus and incorporate them into the chord strumming. I added a couple of hammer-ons during my strumming and one little riff at the end of the chorus and that was that.

Since I'm quite an amateur in my musical abilities it takes some work but it's very rewarding in the end. Hope this gives you some ideas of how you can put something together...
02-19-2003 03:00 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
Thanks again, Wes.

no really, you're welcome! let's get together again(and soon) and make some more music.

we still need to do this. I was on a field-trip to LA yesterday and went through Monrovia. I couldn't talk the bus driver into stopping for a couple of hours though. I'm not sure you would've wanted 25 highschool kids in your studio anyway.

02-20-2003 13:26 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Where did you get the music?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH