Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Eddies? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Eddies?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Matt K
I'm ganna make a fool out of myself here, but I am a pretty new Terry taylor/DA/LD fan, and I haven't heard the swirling eddies yet, but what exactly is their music style, and who (besides terry) in in the band?

DA with an Attitude......

The Swirling Eddies are:
Camarillo Eddy: All Vocals, Electric and Acoustic Guitars
Gene Pool: Electric Guitars, Keyboards
Arthur Fhardi: Keyboards, Backing Vocals
Spot: Electric Guitars, Backing Vocals
Berger Roy Al: Bass Guitars
Hort Elvison: Real Live Drums, Percussion

.....and a whole lot more!!!!

the band members have changed at various times but this it the list from Let's Spin the first one

The Swirling Eddies (scroll down a bit)

Zoom Daddy is in the TOP 3 of my all time favorite TST related albums.

BD

05-11-2002 14:10 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
Eddies are... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Eddies include most of present/past DA (Terry, Greg, Tim, Jerry, Rob) plus drummer Dave Raven, eventually Gene Eugene and some "little eddies". After DA's "Darn Floor, Big Bite" the band came together and recorded Lets Spin(198Cool , Outdoor Elvis (1989), DA/Eddies hybrid Miracle Faith Telethon (1990), Zoom Daddy (1994), Berry Vest (1995), Sacred Cows (1996).

There are obvious similarities and overlaps musically/ lyrically between the two groups. DA tends to focus more on the serious side; the Eddies can be serious too, but more often the music can be characterized at various times as side-splittingly funny, danceable, strangely titled, off-the-wall, and/or even offensive to some, but never lacking in the band's creativity or Terry's razor-sharp wit.

We've had some discussion over the years about how we got people introduced to DA. When my wife first made a serious effort to get into DA, I let her spin Motorcycle and Lets Spin, which I consider the most accessible DA/Eddies recordings.

I absolutely kick myself for not buying Lets Spin and Outdoor Elvis CDs when they were released, and hope some day I can replace my worn cassettes with reissues.

05-11-2002 17:53 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Shemp
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here is how I interpret the bands….

Most of today's Contemporary Christian music = Spam

Daniel Amos = A 16 ounce T-bone flame broiled over mesquite embers

Swirling Eddies = Skewered and roasted pig… whole

Lost Dogs = Beef brisket slowly smoked (all day) so that the meat just falls apart

Terry's solo stuff = Chocolate mousse pie

05-12-2002 18:58
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

If you have never listened to the Swirling Eddies, go immediatly to the DA Webstore and order their "Zoom Daddy." This is an awsome display of lyrical insight and poetry. This work is brilliant. If there was a single CD to recover from a burning house, this would be it. The CD would find refuge before the hamster. (God rest ye soul NukNuk, God rest ye soul)
05-13-2002 17:59 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp

Lost Dogs = Beef brisket slowly smoked (all day) so that the meat just falls apart

mmmmmmm....chocolate mousse

05-13-2002 19:39 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

eddies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Actually a few days ago, I sent in an order for the "Bery Vest" CD thru my music club (I got a coupon for a $5.99 CD and I decided to go with the Eddies) so i'm pretty excited!
05-14-2002 11:42 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Actually a few days ago, I sent in an order for the "Bery Vest" CD thru my music club (I got a coupon for a $5.99 CD and I decided to go with the Eddies) so i'm pretty excited!

That's a good start because it has songs from the first 2 eddies albums which are their best, but are both out of print. If you like that, then you've gotta get Sacred Cows and maybe you'll see why we make fun of the Tuxedo Clad Megastar so much around here. Pleased

05-14-2002 14:40 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Wait a minute there... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"That's a good start because it has songs from the first 2 eddies albums which are their best..."

Are you suggesting, Joey, that there's a better album on the planet than Zoom Daddy? Confused

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
05-14-2002 14:45 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Don't hate yourself... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
"That's a good start because it has songs from the first 2 eddies albums which are their best..."

Are you suggesting, Joey, that there's a better album on the planet than Zoom Daddy? Confused

Well, yes! Nothing wrong with ZD, but Outdoor Elvis is just classic. I'm not alone Pleased

05-14-2002 15:25 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Tish... Elvis was just the warm-up.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If you check out the post from the other day (something about stirring up the pot, even though it didn't), I think I had Elvis at #3. I love it. But Zoom Daddy's on an entirely different stratosphere....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
05-14-2002 17:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by carl

Outdoor Elvis.
A Classic Forever Smile

05-14-2002 21:42 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

Outdoor Elvis.
A Classic Forever Smile

OE
yes a classic

but I agree with carl on this one......

ZOOM DADDY ZOOM ZOOM DADDY DADDY ZOOM DADDY ZOOM DADDY ZOOOOOOM!

I just love to sing along with this one

05-14-2002 21:56 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

sacred cows Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'll always regret not getting "Sacred Cows" when it first came out. I remember seeing ads for it in some CCM magazine and I thought it looked real cool. But I never got it. WAH!!
05-14-2002 22:55 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:
I'll always regret not getting "Sacred Cows" when it first came out. I remember seeing ads for it in some CCM magazine and I thought it looked real cool. But I never got it. WAH!!

If you want it, it shows up on e-bay quite frequently (and usually goes for much less than DFBB or other DA/LD/SE albums). That's where I got it.
05-14-2002 22:57 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt K

quote:

If you want it, it shows up on e-bay quite frequently (and usually goes for much less than DFBB or other DA/LD/SE albums). That's where I got it.

I got it for 2 bucks on e-bay and there were no other bids. Talk about a bargain! Pleased

05-15-2002 00:14 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt K

quote:

I got it for 2 bucks on e-bay and there were no other bids. Talk about a bargain! Pleased

Sacred Cows is great!

Outdoor Elvis is TST's white album Smile )

05-15-2002 18:21 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:

they may still have a copy near me.......if they do I'll let you know.

BD

05-16-2002 10:28 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

speaking of the Eddies...

I hent awead oid ardered The Bery Vest of the Ewirling Sddies desteryay from the WADebstore!

Heeeyaw!

I want cate till it hets gere!

Geers! Chus

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

05-16-2002 15:15 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
WONDERFUL SPAM! WONDERFUL SPAM!
Tongue

05-16-2002 21:44 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shemp
Here is how I interpret the bands?.

Swirling Eddies = Skewered and roasted pig? whole

quote:

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
WONDERFUL SPAM! WONDERFUL SPAM!
Tongue

Hey, Spam isn't that bad.... Now 98% of todays CCM gives me bad indigestion, much worse than Spam. Wink

05-17-2002 00:31 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Eddies?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH