Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Introducing DA to the apprehensive » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Introducing DA to the apprehensive
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Introducing DA to the apprehensive Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What I have heard over the years from other people about DA generally sums up to one word: weird. I think it's a very unfair characterization, considering the creativity and depth of the recordings.

What can help draw people in with a more positive view? Well, what started my wife on the path to recovery were more accessible recordings from DA and SE, specifically Motorcycle and Lets Spin, and now Beuchner.

What also helped was putting a more personal face on the band, e.g. Greg the NASA scientist, Tim the computer guru, Ed the artist, Terry the songwriter/musician/producer, and being good family men.

What completed the transition was seeing them a few times at Cornerstone. If you haven't seen DA in concert (there or anywhere), it is always a GREAT experience. The band knows how to be professional, yet relax and have a good time. For the audience it makes for a whole lot of fun and absolutely unforgetable performances.

There were a few years where we didn't see DA perform at Cornerstone or anywhere. The past two years, though, we've had that pleasure. Please don't take it for granted. They're coming back this year once again to Cornerstone and Oshkosh, and also the True Alternative tour in the Fall.

I hope everyone will do their darndest to see them. Bring everyone you can possibly bring, and prepare for an awesome time. It's going to be a great DA year.

05-11-2002 18:12 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

you hit the nail Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Touring, live performances, THESE are the things that make the world aware of you.

But touring extensively is ALSO a thing that breaks up families-

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
05-11-2002 23:44 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

There were a few years where we didn't see DA perform at Cornerstone or anywhere. The past two years, though, we've had that pleasure. Please don't take it for granted. They're coming back this year once again to Cornerstone

That's pretty easy to say for someone who lives in the same state as the festival.... Mad Mad Mad

05-12-2002 00:07 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
anne
A Hot Wolly

dont be such a baby Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

R O A D T R I P .
05-12-2002 02:02 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

I have an idea Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by anne
R O A D T R I P .

How about we have C-stone on the West Coast this year and all you nice mid-west folks can make a 2-day roadtrip??? Pleased

05-12-2002 03:27 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
R O A D T R I P .

How about we have C-stone on the West Coast this year and all you nice mid-west folks can make a 2-day roadtrip??? Pleased

One day road trip Big Grin

Baby

05-14-2002 21:52 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by anne
R O A D T R I P .

quote:

Baby

If you can make it over here in one day, be my guest! Pleased

05-15-2002 00:19 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Shemp
unregistered

I've been looking for more info on the True Alt tour, and can't find anything... Does anyone know where I can find a schedule???
05-15-2002 07:43
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
quote:
R O A D T R I P .

Amen!!!!!
Big Grin
~Kaf~

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

05-15-2002 10:09 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by anne
R O A D T R I P .

quote:

Baby

If you can make it over here in one day, be my guest! Pleased

I am so lame I can't even make to Il... much less WA Crying

05-15-2002 18:18 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

oh come ON dr rich -- AND patti! --
buck up!! set your priorities!! (and all that grey poop'on...)

I'll be there...
and perhaps jack knight too.

don't try to tell me you're not tempted Wink

oh wait, the music woulda been the big draw, not me . my bad....
05-15-2002 19:08 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
oh come ON dr rich -- AND patti! --
buck up!! set your priorities!! (and all that grey poop'on...)

I'll be there...
and perhaps jack knight too.

don't try to tell me you're not tempted Wink

oh wait, the music woulda been the big draw, not me . my bad....

Jack Knight? What is he up too? It's been a long time since he posted Smile

05-15-2002 21:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

BTW, yes I am VERY tempted... I'm not so sure about Patti Smile

05-15-2002 21:25 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Patti C. Patti C. is a female
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

...too many Christians in one place. Big Grin Give me the hee-bee geevies....that's why I left seminary.... Big Grin
05-15-2002 21:30 Patti C. is offline Send an Email to Patti C. Search for Posts by Patti C. Add Patti C. to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Patti C.
...too many Christians in one place. Big Grin Give me the hee-bee geevies....that's why I left seminary.... Big Grin

ya gott admit.. she has a good point! Big Grin

05-15-2002 21:31 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:

have you seen some of the pics from cornerstone........how can you tell who's who!Wink

they're all on drugs or something!!

they're a bunch of cornerSTONERS

heh heh

BD

05-15-2002 23:05 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

I'd like to bring this thread back on target with a couple of small suggestions.

A Song NOT to use as a lure:
"(It's the Eighties, So Where's Our) Rocket Packs"

I can speak from experience. That's one's a big turn off to the younger generation.

But a song that I think would be a good Lure into DA:
"Mall All Over The World"

I mean, think about it. That's the perfect introductory song to the early classic DA. Who wouldn't love it?

I even printed they lyrics for my wife and almost had her (who hates that rock-n-roll music) lured in for a moment.

Cheers!
Gus

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

05-16-2002 15:39 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
anne
A Hot Wolly

"the younger generation"? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ah, for my non-eighties-listening circles, the sound of early classic da ain't gonna be much of a draw. the newer stuff is definitely where it's at.
i agree that the lyrics can hook people in... if and only if they dig terry's perspective. (of course, to me, what's not to dig about it?) but only certain people are gonna appreciate it. so you gotta know your target Wink

but to draw this back OFF-topic (haha),

patti posted
quote:
...too many Christians in one place. Give me the hee-bee geevies....that's why I left seminary....

lol - when i just visit my sis at her semenary i always get a case of the willies

and dr rich posted
quote:
Jack Knight? What is he up too? It's been a long time since he posted

oh, busy... but mostly it's just that his bad self is just too nada cool to post on the new board

[hi jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you happen to be lurking Tongue ]
05-16-2002 16:48 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

patti posted
quote:
...too many Christians in one place. Give me the hee-bee geevies....that's why I left seminary....

lol - when i just visit my sis at her semenary i always get a case of the willies

[/QUOTE]

You know it, sister!
05-16-2002 17:23 Patti C. is offline Send an Email to Patti C. Search for Posts by Patti C. Add Patti C. to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
quote:

have you seen some of the pics from cornerstone........how can you tell who's who!Wink

they're all on drugs or something!!

they're a bunch of cornerSTONERS

heh heh

BD

If I go, can I have drugs?Pleased I think it would be way too much like an ol' Chandler (not Tim Chandler) family reunion.
A little scarred from my Fundy Family....Evil
05-16-2002 17:29 Patti C. is offline Send an Email to Patti C. Search for Posts by Patti C. Add Patti C. to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Introducing DA to the apprehensive

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH