Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » meet a DA fan » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page meet a DA fan
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

meet a DA fan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't know about the rest of y'all but out here in CA you don't just run into somebody who knows/knew/cares about Terry and the wiser music we love. As a matter of fact I have met exactly one new person who likes DA since the day I found a doppleganger dub in the gutter by my church in '83. (other than you fine folks)

I've become so crazed with the idea of finding someone who has heard of them that I've taken to wearing the shirts to almost any appropriate event, in hopes of stirring an occasional, "Daniel Amos, cool."

You'd think that one of the thousands at Disneyland, Angel Stadium, Pomona Raceway, Huntington Beach, etc. would recognize the name of the greatest band in RAWK!!!

My question - How have you made contact with fellow Terry-ophiles? (besides this trekkie-like message board stuff)

August 2005
04-28-2003 19:17 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
My question - How have you made contact with fellow Terry-ophiles?

by converting them!

ha ha

(actually not really kidding... i turned my college roommate into a swirling eddies fan Shocked , and i just had a visit from a college friend who was dying to hear my lost dogs gift horse cd, since she'd lost hers.)
04-28-2003 19:31 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've never run into a DA or TST related fan out in the real world...Frown I too wear my shirts to a lot of places (I wore my "Hats" shirt to work today Big Grin ). But no one ever knows the names on the shirts. Even at Churches or "Christian" gatherings.

I have met hundreds over the internet from all over the world! Some I have met at local concerts, or talked to on the phone... but that's about it. The DA fan is spread far and wide. Crying

BD
Roll Eyes
04-28-2003 19:54 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Unfortunately you are right BD.

04-28-2003 19:57 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by BD
I wore my "Hats" shirt....

still waiting for mine.

04-28-2003 20:03 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:
Originally posted by BD
I wore my "Hats" shirt....

still waiting for mine.

Hey maybe I could burn you a copy of mine? Oh wait, that doesn't work for t-shirts. Roll Eyes I should have remembered that from the last time. I ruined a good 77s shirt that way. Crying

BD
04-28-2003 20:08 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

what's this?? no one's impressed with my conversion story?? fine, then. *pout*

i rather thought i outdid myself with the swirling eddies one.......

oh yeah, and i'm turning my lil bro into a DA fan. and he recently told me he's been playing songs like New Car, etc for one of his friends, trying to share the light... Big Grin

04-28-2003 20:27 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

geez.... when i was in high school i worked at a winchell's donuts and was playing vox humana on my radio one day....
a guy walked in and said those guys are great, have you ever seen them? i said yeah, and it turned out we had both been to one of the same shows in orange county.... we lived in l.a. county....
i didn't think it was a big deal then, because i thought Da was world famous........ Crying Crying Crying

04-28-2003 20:30 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by anne

(actually not really kidding... i turned my college roommate into a swirling eddies fan Shocked , and i just had a visit from a college friend who was dying to hear my lost dogs gift horse cd, since she'd lost hers.)

That is so amazing anne! how did you do it?

Smile )

I did think it was a great story, but of course like everyone else, I was just thinking of myself again. Please forgive my rudeness. Wink

BD
04-28-2003 20:31 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

While looking for a church I went to one and decided to go there - didn't worry about looking elsewhere. The next week I was chatting to one person and he liked DA during the Shotgun Angel era and then a month later I met a guy who liked them up until Horrendous Disk and then lost track of them.

However while yakking with the youth group the other month one of them la-la'd a few notes from the soundtrack of this computer game they loved. Neverhood. I enlightened them and we had a great sing-song while everyone else looked at us like I'm used to being looked at anyway. Eyes rolling eyebrows raised sort of thing.

04-28-2003 20:59 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
I enlightened them and we had a great sing-song while everyone else looked at us like I'm used to being looked at anyway. Eyes rolling eyebrows raised sort of thing.

........that happens to me all the time!

Say, did I ever tell you that my lilbro, jimIny, turned me on to DA? No? I've never told you that? Well...........I know, I know, I'm a pain in the buttinski Smile

LOVED your story, AnnieGirl. Tell me more Smile

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

04-28-2003 21:20 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
anne
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by BD
That is so amazing anne! how did you do it?

I did think it was a great story, but of course like everyone else, I was just thinking of myself again. Please forgive my rudeness. Wink

LOL

Big Grin

how did i do it is a good question.... because i'm sure you've all had the experience that i often have of trying to share some cool music with someone & having them react in a less-than-thrilled way.

i think it helped that i didn't pressure her at all to like them or push it on her (because that probably would have just made her resistant), although my own enjoyment and appreciation of it was evident.
and she heard them enough times during the 4+ years that we lived together for them to become familiar. ...what we might call a "mere exposure" effect -- people tend to like things that are familiar. (i think that can actually make a big difference, although it takes patience.)
anyway, eventually, much to my surprise, my roommate began to request me to play swirling eddies, spontaneously dance around the apartment to songs like disco love grapes, and even asked me to sing "Strange Days" at her wedding (i refused!!!)!

thanks woggy Big Grin you want another story? ok:
i turned my dad into a lost dogs fan too... i think just hearing lost dogs songs played a lot around the house for years, and hearing me enthusing about them helped a lot. (plus, he's really sentimental, and i think he likes the fact that they remind him of me Wink - - he's cute that way)
also, i took him to a lost dogs concert in livonia, and we had SUCH a good time together, and he thought they were SOOOO funny, so that kind of cemented it. Big Grin

but my current location isn't very fertile ground for making DA fans because i don't know very many christians (and many of my nonchristian friends aren't "openminded" about listening to music that is overtly christian, unfortunately).
04-28-2003 22:01 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by BD
I've never run into a DA or TST related fan out in the real world...Frown I too wear my shirts to a lot of places (I wore my "Hats" shirt to work today Big Grin ). But no one ever knows the names on the shirts. Even at Churches or "Christian" gatherings.

I have met hundreds over the internet from all over the world! Some I have met at local concerts, or talked to on the phone... but that's about it. The DA fan is spread far and wide. Crying

BD
Roll Eyes

ditto... Confused I even wore a Choir t-shirt out of the house last week Shocked no one took the bait Confused

04-28-2003 22:02 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

and btw, Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Say, did I ever tell you that my lilbro, jimIny, turned me on to DA? No? I've never told you that? Well...........
i always like that story...
my bigbro turned ME on to DA Big Grin
04-28-2003 22:06 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

see how sweet brothers can really be???

Smile (psst, a secret just for you annegirl........me and jim are going to NY in June.............isn't that cool? I love my brother Smile )

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

04-28-2003 22:11 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by anne
my bigbro turned ME on to DA Big Grin

ditto... Big Grin

04-28-2003 22:11 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I wore my Doppleganger shirt to a Christian camp when I was a counselor and the guy who was the head of the paintball field told me that he loved DA and Doppleganger was his favorite record.

When I was on staff at the Baptist Church I helped start a Christian club at our middle school (it has since been banned) and the teacher I was working with told me that he was a big fan of da in the early 80's. Sadly, when I got him to buy Songs Of The Heart he hated it.

04-28-2003 22:48 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

edit to remove

04-28-2003 22:49 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Official Impasto

Saw Fearful Symmetry on a book store and never looked back...

You could say that it was the naked guy doing situps that turned me on

to DA of course

04-28-2003 22:51 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I think I turned my little bro on to DA, he's not rabid but he does listen.
I wore my Phil Keaggy, Find Me In These Fields t shirt in Monaco a few years ago and a guy ,walking by said, "Hey, Phil Keaggy!" That was it. And speaking of turning on to so and so and Phil Keaggy. Phil and gasp.. Twila Paris were touring together a few years ago. I loved Phil back then, and my younger sis loved Twila. My mother thought Phil was just another rock and roll guy, but Twila, I mean her name is in the hymn book right! So anyway, she took my sister to the concert and loved Phil, but thought Twila was too showy, too much flash, not enough substance. That's it.

04-28-2003 22:54 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » meet a DA fan

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH