Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Does Anybody Like Larry Norman? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Does Anybody Like Larry Norman?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow. All these posts and nobody else thinks larry destroyed Hound Of Heaven. I don't know Larry but I get the impression that he is a bit conceited and sometimes a jerk. He had a couple good songs but not many. But hey, I can't talk...most people think my music glows with warmth too Big Grin

05-08-2003 18:48 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've only heard a few of his songs and have had a good time with them.

But if those of you who "know" his stuff could help me with a mystery...

There's a song about Moses leading the Israelites out of bondage. It's funny. It's cool music. It's mysterious.

What's the album?
What's the song?
Why in the hay does he end it with, "Never borrow money needlessly"? It makes no sense....to me.

August 2005
05-08-2003 18:53 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

see page 4 of Christian hippies thread....

deee-ayyyy, deee-ayyy, deee-ayyy, deee-ayyy, deee-ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Roll Eyes

05-08-2003 19:29 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy
I've only heard a few of his songs and have had a good time with them.

But if those of you who "know" his stuff could help me with a mystery...

There's a song about Moses leading the Israelites out of bondage. It's funny. It's cool music. It's mysterious.

What's the album?
What's the song?
Why in the hay does he end it with, "Never borrow money needlessly"? It makes no sense....to me.
That song is called "Moses in the Wilderness" and it's on Upon this Rock. I bought the album for that song and it was worth it! Smile )

05-08-2003 19:34 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Disjasked Lerna

Oops, I forgot, "Never borrow money needlessly" is referring to Israel coming into Egypt in the first place when Joseph was acting as prime minister during the land of drought. I don't think it really was a needless borrowing of money, but rather a God-ordained way that the family of Jacob would be preserved in the drought and latter God's hand would be revealed in leading people out of Egypt. Did Larry miss the point? I'm not certain.

05-08-2003 19:37 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

borrowing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Actually on one of Larry's live CDs, he says that line was from a commercial that ran when he was a kid. The whole thing went, "Never borrow money needlessly, borrow from HFC" or something along those lines. He said that he wrote "Moses in the Wilderness" when he was a kid, and he thought if the Isrealites needed money to build a house, they could borrow from HFC or whatever that company was called.
05-08-2003 19:45 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by JR88

Ok so I'm in the minority when it comes to Larry..........who knew Confused

05-08-2003 19:52 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Disjasked Lerna

I've been posting here for about 10 months. It seems the verdict is split on Larry Norman.

Of Christian artists, I've made the following abservations on this board

Artists everyone seems to like: DA, LD, SE, TST, Adam Again, 77s, Steve Taylor, Undercover, Mike Knott, Resurrection Band, Mike Stand, Choir, Altar Boys, Randy Stonehill, Vigilantes of Love/Bill Mallonee, DAmb, Kieth Green

Artists some like and some hate: Larry Norman, Degarmo and Key, Petra, One Bad Pig, Audio Adrenaline, DC Talk, Sixpence None The Richer, Phil Keaggy, Bruce Cockburn

Artists most everyone doesn't like with some exceptions, of course: the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, Amy Grant, Michael W Smith

I'm sure some will take issue with some of these assessments. I didn't know where to put some others like 2nd Chapter of Acts, Glenn Kaiser, Darrell Mansfield, Steve Camp, Russ Taff, Phil Driscoll, Matthew Ward, Larry Howard

Personally, I like most of the artists listed above, except MW Smith and the ones I haven't heard (One Bad Pig, Bruce Cockburn). Some of them I like more than others.

What's your opinion??

05-08-2003 20:20 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Grand Encephalon

Good observation.

05-08-2003 23:04 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Mr Norman

I think he is cheesy at times but I still play all of his stuff from Upon This Rock to Stranded in Babylon, after that album I sort of lost interest in his music. I did see him live in '79 or '80? and then in '85. He was great in concert and I would go see him again if he was up to doing a show. So for me, Larry is ok, and a dink. Tongue

I can listen to both versions of Hound without skipping over them, but neither of them are very good in my opinion.

BD

05-09-2003 00:53 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

There is just something about him that gets under my skin.

05-09-2003 00:54 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

You've got Larry Norman under your skin? Shocked
05-09-2003 01:02 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Sounds like a contraceptive. But then again, The Swirling Eddies are a feritility drug so why not. Big Grin

05-09-2003 01:05 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

larry norman sounds like bob dylan on speed....and i freaking love larry norman and his music!Big Grin

everybody should have 'upon this rock', and the 'planet-garden-land'-trilogy in their cd collection.

05-09-2003 09:33 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by dfroystad

everybody should have 'upon this rock', and the 'planet-garden-land'-trilogy in their cd collection.

A must have!

Have you seen the latest vesrion on Land? I think it's basically the same, but with new artwork.

I don't think I'll be buying it again this time.
05-09-2003 11:58 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

I saw that too and laughed. I mean an "Australian" version. Oh Lord. I've already gone through three vinyl versions and have both CDs.

If only he'd remaster "so long" which has always sounded tinny and flat compared to the others in the trilogy.

05-09-2003 13:51 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Wow. All these posts and nobody else thinks larry destroyed Hound Of Heaven. Big Grin

I do! Evil

05-09-2003 15:31 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

THANK YOU! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Wow. All these posts and nobody else thinks larry destroyed Hound Of Heaven. Big Grin

I do! Evil

05-09-2003 15:36 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I can't stand the linar notes for HD either.
I feel bad for Larry and I have a copy of "Only visiting this planet" but I ain't a fan! Smile )

and you have a nice day too! Wink

05-09-2003 15:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
I can't stand the linar notes for HD either.
I feel bad for Larry and I have a copy of "Only visiting this planet" but I ain't a fan! Smile )

and you have a nice day too! Wink

Me thinks we's in the minority on dis subject. You's a said it all that me's a wanted to say above dis^. Big Grin

05-09-2003 15:48 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Does Anybody Like Larry Norman?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH