Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DAconomics » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DAconomics
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

DAconomics Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Are we in danger of losing our Terry fixes altogether!

I know that we as a group appreciate the time and effort and love that the Audioris have put into this site. Where else could we go to get such definitive information on our favorite artist? Where else could you find every available album as well as the cutting edge availability of new and secret items? As the tiny (yet voracious) audience of a Little,Big songwriter we are blessed to have this resource available to us.

But I tell you, it will be our own fault if the site is forced to close. If Terry can't afford to continue releasing new material we will be to blame.

This is not a "we support our webstore" diatribe, though. I'm sure you loyalists, like myself, have spent your money here buying everything available. I don't bother looking in the webstore anymore because I know I own everything they sell.

You see, we are a dead market! They have long since used the money we spent on the cost of sustaining their business and lives. The only hope they have of keeping our money coming is to release NEW material. (Okay, some of us offer mercy gifts now and again)

I'm always thrilled to find out that they have found some lost material or that there will be a brand new record soon. Like myself, I'm sure you all drop your cash on the first day of release! But my $15 doesn't go very far once a year. In fact I'm sure they are financially upside down in giving me big label production for my puny $15.

So, will our support of the webstore sustain the availability of our TST drug?

No. The only way to assure the continuous and quality releases that we enjoy is to encourage NEW listeners to become NEW buyers.

How can we do that? I know we've all had some rainy day success in hooking new fish, but those are very few and achingly far between.

No. We must stimulate our DAconomy by being responsible consumers. I was just reading some of the past posts where we all whine about the length of time it takes to get an order. We whine, but in the same post we excuse the webstore because we don't want them to think us disloyal and stop offering the great music of our addiction. Their explanations and excuses for delays are grudgingly accepted because we don't want them to cut the supply, we don't want them to tell Terry, and frankly, because we're a nice bunch of people. But that is irresponsible.

Imagine that you were in Jr. High when you wandered around your local Christian Bookstore and found the humorous cover of "The Miracle Faith Telethon". With paper route money to burn, you buy it . You laugh your burro off when the good Dr. reminds you of your own pastor. You make your buddies listen to "Hide the Beer..." and they think you're cool. Some of the songs on Side B are weird but oddly soothing and somehow this album defines the summer before your freshmen year. You check out some of the other albums mentioned in the liner notes and develope a passive appreciation for this guy Daniel Amos and The Swirling Eddies. Soon girls, grades and top 40 radio get your attention and TST is but a memory.

Fast forward to summer 2002. You have long since lost that funny tape but something reminds you of it and you get a bug in your bonnet to find it on the internet and relive the bygone days. On e-bay the cd goes for $60 so you're disappointed but intrigued. "I didn't know these guys were so big", you ironically muse. A Google search reveals the official Daniel Amos site and the webstore is advertising the long awaited sequel to "The Miracle Faith Telethon". You impulsively plunk down your visa number and lick your lips in anticipation of delivery.

Weeks pass. Months pass. You write e-mails that aren't returned. You are a regular online shopper and have come to expect zippy service from everyone you do business with. You get Mountain Dewed. You never order anything from them again. And when you finally receive it IN JUNE, it's not what you expected. When an old buddy brings up that funny "Hide The Beer" song, you tell him how they ripped you off! Negative fruit.

DAMBers, I know it's hard. I know you don't want to rock the boat, but we have to keep the Audioris responsible. I did a terrible thing the other day. I bought 4 copies of MBD for $5 each at another site just so I could give them away to friends and family. They wouldn't buy it otherwise, but soon they'll be hooked. If they ask me where they can get more albums, should I send them here? Will they just be disappointed by the service and lose interest?

"Support The Webstore" is a righteous call to action. Buy from them. Spend your disposable here. Keep them in business. Keep Terry writing. But, do not be passive. Do not let them off easy. If you are not responsible consumers, someone else will be. If their financial situation is as weak as they say, then one complaint to the Better Business Bureau will shut them down.

Some time ago they made the reluctant promise that there will be no more pre-release purchases due to the problems associated with that. That was a brave and laudible move. We loyalists didn't like it because we lost our exclusivity, but they took a step to protect their business and future releases. The same troubles are occuring again though, and with AC and Prickly Heat so far behind I fear the loss of current and potential customers and without those customers we won't get new music.

Even so, come.

did that sound frenchy?

August 2005
05-15-2003 13:27 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Nice. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

But I would suggest that for those who are exceedingly passionate about furthering new music from TST and related projects that you consider investing in a project--become an Exec-producer. Some folks have stepped out and become Promoters for gigs. That's daring and a good thing. But for product, an individual with LOADS of guts or a group of people willing to invest together--this will bring about new product from Terry, Dogs, DA, Eddies. There's a lot to consider, but it is a do-able dream. If you're interested, you ought to look into it. Contact JT and ask your questions.

These words of mine are unsolicited, but I'm sure your interest would be appreciated. My wife and I were "part" exec-producers on Roe's "Say your prayers" along with other and we're fairly poor. I can tell you that we got our money back and little to spare. It's do-able. Just think big!

Just an idea!
05-15-2003 14:15 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Thread Starter Thread Started by zippetydoodaddy
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ambition bites the nails of success.

That's a brilliant idea. I felt so "involved" with the making of MBD that I was sorry it was only thirty bones.

So, who wants in? I can maybe come up with about $100 by next friday if at least 10 of you will match it. $1000 is a small start, but it's something.

I can imagine the liner notes:

Executive Producers: The Poor!

August 2005
05-15-2003 14:27 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

wow!
I hate to pray about "Non- Spiritual" things,
But I think someone hit the nail on de head here-
and I can seek God for a lil "miracle"- thats what it'd take.....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-15-2003 14:36 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

I too have struggled with the store, not just here but at the 77s , LD and Mike Roe sites.

I have ordered more than a little bit from these guys, and mostly have not had too much trouble. A little slow, and I don't being small is an excuse.

Christiandiscs.com is a small business, fast and professional. Sure they sell more than just one band so they have a bit more in economies of scale.

But let's take the one offs then.

Numavox is Kerry Livgren's site. How many millions of albums has he sold. He personally sends out his orders. ?I know, cause his signature was on the customs tag.

Adrian Belew, not a huge seller, but a very busy musician. He too personally sent out stuff from his site. He signed the customs tag.

I'm not looking for defensive rebuttals from the audiori's. Those of who support all cut slack, however, they truly need to understand that business has a set of expectations, and consumers are very particular on-line. And frankly product rules over all, and I myself have gone elsewhere to buy 77s stuff cause I knew I'd at least get it.

It's a tough one, and I hope the boys know enough to call out for help if they're overwhelmed and can't float the business.

There's a lot on the line here.

Expectations are reality boys, and we're only trying to help by commenting. I know it must be frustrating from your vantage as we can't see all that goes on. Well, that's true of all commerce.

Jevon.

05-15-2003 16:30 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

GooD thread Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DAconomics is a great word...

NoW you GoT me thinking... praying... wondering...

researching creative solutions . . .

05-15-2003 16:54 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
brd2yrmother
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-21-2003

I do know the perils of running a business with very little cash flow (and it was flowing the wrong direction, let me tell you) - and I have to agree. Even at our lowest point, we (my wife and I) never let our customers even get a hint of the problems we were facing. We did everything in our power to make sure they got their product quickly. We worked with a couple of other stores to make it happen or begged and pleaded with the distributors when the customer was out of the store. Our customers were actually quite suprised when we closed because they thought we were doing well because they'd never experienced anything but quality service from us. It was hard, but it was worth it.
05-15-2003 16:58 brd2yrmother is offline Send an Email to brd2yrmother Search for Posts by brd2yrmother Add brd2yrmother to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I am the first to cut the guys slack and am very appreciative when anything comes out.

But I have worked for 9 years that excels at customer service. Our company has competitors who are way cheaper yet we still lead the pack on market share.

Why?

Customer service - and the store is lacking it.

So I ask the question to the Audiori's again. Can we help? Can one of us help run the web page updates? Can one of us be a moderator of the board so you don't have to read every post? Is there someone locally who can help pack the goods for you? Can one of us reply to emails for you?

We are so loyal we have been willing to wait since Septemeber last year for Dr Ed 2 and not go ballistic. We are loyal enough to help the web page and web store out.

And on the other topic...

I like the idea of those of us with money to spare pooling together to be executive producers on a new album.

I don't have much at the moment but given time I can save up a bit more and I'm sure are few others are in the same boat. We can also bring the DADL in on this.

I'm not after anythihg special just my name on the liner notes and a no-interest return to the investment if we sell enough. If we don't sell enough then consider the loss as a gift to the ministry.

If we sell enough and I get extra on the investement then we all could re-invest into another project.

Who is willing?

How much will it take for a new CD?

I'm jazzed about this idea...

05-15-2003 18:37 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I would be happy to package address and mail product.

05-15-2003 18:41 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Michelle
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 03-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
Can we help?

I like the idea of those of us with money to spare pooling together to be executive producers on a new album.

If we don't sell enough then consider the loss as a gift to the ministry.

If we sell enough and I get extra on the investement then we all could re-invest into another project.

Who is willing?

Now y'all are heading in the right direction!

And I think those who are not willing to put their bodies on the line and get in the game should refrain from being armchair quarterbacks and critics. Griping won't change anything. Those who invest their time and money DO change things.
05-15-2003 19:02 Michelle is offline Send an Email to Michelle Search for Posts by Michelle Add Michelle to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:

Who is willing?

I am also interested in this, nothing soon on the money part, but if we had the time to plan for it, I think there would be quite a lot of us who could "help out" and not expect much more in return except another great DA album. It's been mentioned before, but I think a link in the webstore is a good idea. Set it up to where the money only goes to the next project, or have a link for projects and one just for general support of the band?

With this small but loyal fan base, we should be able to help out in some way. Cool

BD
05-15-2003 19:04 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I want to be an Executive Producer too! Big Grin

05-15-2003 19:46 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Like the young people don't say, I am down with dat. Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
05-15-2003 19:50 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Ya'll will probably find this hard to believe, but I actually dreamt about Terry last night. I was with him at his house, at the studio, and everywhere he went. He was writing songs. He had one of those spiral notebooks and a pencil and his guitar. He would play and then make notes (ah the pun). The rest of the band was at the studio too. Anyway, he let me follow him around everywhere to witness the writing process. It was pretty cool. Then I woke up and realized it was only a dream.

05-15-2003 19:58 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
Originally posted by BD
quote:

Who is willing?

I am also interested in this, nothing soon on the money part, but if we had the time to plan for it, I think there would be quite a lot of us who could "help out" and not expect much more in return except another great DA album. It's been mentioned before, but I think a link in the webstore is a good idea. Set it up to where the money only goes to the next project, or have a link for projects and one just for general support of the band?

With this small but loyal fan base, we should be able to help out in some way. Cool

BD

I was thinking we could have like one person out of the system who collected money and liased with JT. Not that I do not trust anyone in the DA system (I do trust and I have and will continue to pre-pay if needed) but... I think an independant person to protect the investors interests would be good.

Also (and this is my main reson for just one independant person)this would mean it is just one person asking JT etc how is the project rather than 100...

A link at the webstore could put you in touch with this one person.

I am willing to be that person.

But the funds would need to be kept in the USA as exchange rates would likely weird things out. Maybe in my Paypal account - or more likely one I'd set up specifically?

With a lot of time I think this is workable.

If we can come up with a consensus then we can contact JT.

05-15-2003 20:16 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

How much $$$ are you talking about?

05-15-2003 20:48 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
How much $$$ are you talking about?

How much have you got? Smile

Seriously. We'd have to find out from JT how much is needed and then it would be a matter of how much can each person put in according to their own budgets.

Hopefully (and with the Lord's blessing) we will get the amount JT needs. If not we will keep on trying or once we reach a point refund as necessary. (Or love offering to the band - not just Terry)

05-15-2003 21:35 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Official Impasto

I have just sent this email to JT Fleavel (the manager/ lawyer dude)

Jonathan,

On the Damb we have begun tossing an idea around.

We are thinking of pooling our collective money to provide the funds for a new Daniel Amos album.

It is just in the "hey this is an idea" stage right now - but the first question is how much would we need to raise?

The second questions is what are the legal issues etc?

The idea is that it is an investment/gift type of thing. If we get a return or money back at all then it would likely go into the next project. If we do not get all the money back then it was a very expensive album we all just bought! Smile

I have suggested that we just have one person collect the money and be the liase with you (as so not to bombard you with 100 emails asking how the project is)

There could even be a link at the webstore for people to invest as well and we would invite the DADL as well.

A few of us would have to save up the money etc so it would be a bit of a long term project with no rush -but we would love to get it off the ground so a quick reponse would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Irwin
Why does it have to be Follow the Spiders?
Why can't it be Follow the Butterflys?
Ron Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (movie not book)
by J. K Rowling
---------------------------------------------------

05-15-2003 21:48 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

[/QUOTE]

Now y'all are heading in the right direction!

And I think those who are not willing to put their bodies on the line and get in the game should refrain from being armchair quarterbacks and critics. Griping won't change anything. Those who invest their time and money DO change things.
[/QUOTE]

I think your a little off base, but well intentioned. Those of us who are the arm chair quarterbacks as you call it, have a lot of skin in the game.

The reason we french and moan is because we'll take certain behaviour and service whereas the casual fan or newbie will walk.

As you've seen through the thread a lot of us have a lot of experience is the service game. I've headed major customer satisfaction initiatives in a major IT outsourcing company, as well as done process engineering and business swat. Others have run businesses.

We're not trying to Mountain Dew on the parade or shoot the messanger, but things do need a little help, and we're trying.

Personally, as tempting as it is to offer up cash to produce, I've got other committments family wise that are somewhat prohibitive. I like Terry and the band, and have all of their stuff.

Does that mean I should sit back and not comment?

I don't think so.

J.

At this point I could again ask what the heck ever happened to my order that vanished off the face of the planet? But I won't as that might be viewed as a cheap shot, and Lord knows I never take an easy shot.

05-15-2003 22:52 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Michelle
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 03-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall

Personally, as tempting as it is to offer up cash to produce, I've got other committments family wise that are somewhat prohibitive.

LOL. This is the crux of the problem. Everyone wants bricks without straw. Those involved in this little venture are all in the same scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel boat. So who's going to belly up to the bar and pay the bills?

Does that mean I should sit back and not comment?

No. You have every right to voice the negative impact of poor service. You can state your frustration at delays. It's justifiable criticism, but griping won't change the overall situation. What will change it is people investing their time and money. Continuing to beat a dead horse won't get it on its feet.

05-15-2003 23:39 Michelle is offline Send an Email to Michelle Search for Posts by Michelle Add Michelle to your Buddy List
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DAconomics

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH