Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Napster in death throws » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Napster in death throws
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Napster in death throws Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Turmoil at Napster Moves the Service Closer to Bankruptcy
Wed May 15, 8:54 AM ET
By MATT RICHTEL The New York Times

SAN FRANCISCO, May 14 The chief executive of Napster (news - web sites), its founder and several of its top executives resigned today, a move that may foreshadow the imminent bankruptcy of a service that became synonymous with the free exchange of music online.

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
05-15-2002 11:24 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Harry Fiasco
unregistered
well, well, well... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

-it turns out record companies are good for sup'm after all.

If this message board can't do a better job of accomodating a request from one of the old DA vanguard then I guess artists ARE at the mercy of record companies and on their terms-
05-15-2002 11:35
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

what?

no more free music... for free???

05-15-2002 18:23 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Harry Fiasco

If this message board can't do a better job of accomodating a request from one of the old DA vanguard then I guess artists ARE at the mercy of record companies and on their terms-

I agree! go and listen to Marty's tunes and let him know what you think! He just wants some feedback, good or bad.

Do it! or I'll fill every post up with the evil guy!

Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

I can do......and you know I will!

05-16-2002 10:40 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
what?

no more free music... for free???

Oh yeah???

05-16-2002 11:23 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

I like AudioGalaxy too!

You actually find stuff you want and not a bunch of other crap on your screen.

05-16-2002 11:28 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-20-2002
Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners. Stop your swearing and cussing and drinking and R movies and smoking and laughing and having fun and those stoopid smiley faces

it's not free!!! someone has to pay for it!Mad

stop stealing music!

Ü

05-16-2002 12:13 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Thread Starter Thread Started by ™
squawk-squawk-squawk Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

dood, I don't know how long you were lurkin' before you decided to chime (squawk) in but consider lurking a little longer

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
05-16-2002 12:34 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

lol Big Grin

05-16-2002 13:06 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Über Parrot

stop stealing music!

Ü

I never did do the napster... so I guess I really haven't lived.

But I do do (doodoo?) the mp3.com sometimes.

Hey Uberdude, you know giving things away is the least expensive form of advertisement out there...

and we all know the Beatles need some good marketing...

now where was I?

Oh yeah...

Okay, I shall steal no more.

~G

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

05-16-2002 14:42 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

Oh yeah, and why does the guy in the little blue square look like he's in the mafia? Is that their CEO or their lawyer?

~G~

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

05-16-2002 14:43 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by ™
dood, I don't know how long you were lurkin' before you decided to chime (squawk) in but consider lurking a little longer

hear hear and amen.

I think Ub could be K-9.
Just a hunch Smile

05-16-2002 21:47 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ?

quote:

hear hear and amen.

I think Ub could be K-9.
Just a hunch Smile

Is he from Dallas maybe? Wink

05-17-2002 00:39 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Shemp
unregistered

quote:

stop stealing music!

Ü

"Stop Surfin'..."
Big Grin
Spank me UP
05-17-2002 08:23
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners. Stop your swearing and cussing and drinking and R movies and smoking and laughing and having fun and those stoopid smiley faces

I'm not from Dallas, and I've never met K9.

I'm sorry if I've Made you mad. I thought it was ok to voice my opinion. I will keep more to myself as to not create such angered responses.

Ü

05-17-2002 14:53 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

I'm sorry if I've Made you mad. I thought it was ok to voice my opinion. I will keep more to myself as to not create such angered responses.

Ü

mad? I like you... all the interesting folks like you tend to leave us after awhile. It makes the damb a little duller Smile
d
p.s. Thick skin is a must here Smile )

05-17-2002 16:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

quote:
quote:

Ü

mad? I like you... all the interesting folks like you tend to leave us after awhile. It makes the damb a little duller Smile
d
p.s. Thick skin is a must here Smile )

I am finding that out the hard way.

I'll stick around for now.

Über

05-17-2002 18:29 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

I just wish AudioGalaxy paid royalties to the artist...

it's more than a little annoying to see DA's music (including their brand new music) making money for some computer geek while the band members themselves have a hard time paying bills.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-17-2002 22:11 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

I just wish AudioGalaxy paid royalties to the artist...

it's more than a little annoying to see DA's music (including their brand new music) making money for some computer geek while the band members themselves have a hard time paying bills.

Agreed,
Its a brave new world out there... the problem is how does one distinguish what is pagan free and christian obligitory.
I think we all know the answer...
I wish there were a way to fund the band(s) directly... its a catch 22,
need money for rereleases,
need money to pay bills,
buyers can't get what they want,
buyers get where free.
05-17-2002 22:18
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

I'm really interested in some of the protection technology that is currently in development. I think we really need something that makes it impossible to make a *digital* copy of a CD, without a professional CDR duplicator. Many consumer stand-alone CD recorders already have protections that prevent you from making a copy on CDR, but they're just now starting to explore the idea of making it impossible to rip MP3s or Wavs off of a CD digitally. Of course it's not 100% - people would still be able to make analog copies by running the output back into an input on the soundcard or something along those lines... but it would at least make MP3s and Wavs less attractive than owning the real thing.

This already exists in other media - like movies. DVDs and VHS tapes already have similar copy protections. You can still copy them, but the copy isn't going to look too good.

(People do bootleg movies.. even on the internet, but it's really not much to worry about at this point. George Lucas is saying that the Episode2 bootlegs floating around will probably hurt his DVD sales when the movie comes out on DVD. I really have a hard time believing that, and I doubt that he believes it either. I think he's probably saying it to make a point more than anything. I would guess that the bootlegs look terrible.. they're filmed with a camcorder smuggled into a special screening, from what I've heard. No one would want that instead of the real thing.)

The difference of course with MP3s and Wavs is that you can currently make near CD quality copies - without any protection, and there are a heck of a lot of people out there that are more than happy with just MP3s of an album and couldn't care less if they never own the real thing. According to MSNBC, 2 out of 5 people download most of the music they listen to - *instead* of buying it. If you're the grand pedobino or Britney Spears, you can probably live fairly comfortably with only 3/5ths of your fans buying your CDs.. but when you're a small independent artist like DA, it's a lot harder.

People are already grumbling about these copy protections of course... I think a few CDs have shown up that already use them. But the only reason people are complaining about these CD protections and not the protections that are already on VHS tapes and DVDs, is just because people aren't used to CDs *having* copy protections. They'll get over it. DVDs and VHS tapes have had them from the start and no one noticed.

A number of different companies are working on their own versions of these protections, and they hope to settle on an industry standard at some point. One idea is to make it impossible for CD-Rom drives or computer OS's to read a music CD - but the CD would have already made MP3s on them for the listener to use. That would allow record companies to decide which songs can be traded, and at what quality. A great way to promote the band or artist - without people being able to give away the entire album for free unless you want them to. Another company is looking at making it possible to make one set of MP3s off of your store bought CD, but copies could not be made off of those MP3s. Another idea is using registration numbers - like most software companies use now. So, you can make MP3s off of your CD, but they would be encoded with a number that would tell the record companies (and their lawyers) that the copy floating around on the internet was made off of *your* CD.

I'm not sure how likely it is that DA will ever be able to afford to use any of these protections though, unless they become standard with most CD manufacturers. Fortunately, DA has a lot of fans that do care enough about the guys to keep buying from the webstore. I really appreciate our customers - and I know Terry does too, because we know that DA fans many times have other options available to them. And I know for a fact that there are a surprising number of DA fans that would rather download.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-17-2002 22:55 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Napster in death throws

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH