Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Pool » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Pool
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

The Pool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I went out for a walk today, and was listening to Fearful Symmetry. I've always thought "The Pool" was a cool song, but it kinda hit me hard today. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I just realized that the song's about being baptized (just watch me be wrong and feel even more stupid).

06-03-2003 23:23 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

heh heh Big Grin

Maybe you should come out of the cold and let your brain warm up a little?

06-03-2003 23:26 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I explained once before that that's why the naked guy is coming out of the water. Big Grin

06-03-2003 23:32 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Gort
unregistered

what naked guy?
06-03-2003 23:48
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

The one on the cover of FS?

06-03-2003 23:54 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Thread Starter Thread Started by arcticsunburn

quote:
Originally posted by BD
heh heh Big Grin

Maybe you should come out of the cold and let your brain warm up a little?

I just need to actually listen to these songs sometime.

06-04-2003 00:19 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
ProdigalDog ProdigalDog is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 05-20-2003

The Pool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Pool is one of my favorite DA tunes. It is refreshing to find a contemporary song that speaks to the matter of baptism. This is a topic that most churches don't really know how to deal with so they minimalize it or, is some cases, almost criminalize it.
06-04-2003 07:05 ProdigalDog is offline Search for Posts by ProdigalDog Add ProdigalDog to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Rather, I think Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Rather, it's clear to me it's the idea of Romans 6:4, being baptised into death with Christ, and rising up.

You see how he stands on the fountain of doubt. Then he goes down, then rises up, as a swan. It's faith in Jesus that transforms - once for all - the person into a beautiful child of God.

06-04-2003 08:20 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I explained once before that that's why the naked guy is coming out of the water. Big Grin

Confused

I thought he was doin situps...

Wink
06-04-2003 08:53 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

"The pool is very deep and cool and nothing here is hard to do Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"The pool is very deep and cool
and nothing here is hard to do
Nothing that should trouble you"

Shrouded forms that start and sigh
As they pass this wanderer by
Lakes that endlessly outspread
Foamy blanket river beds

Chorus:
I stand, stand by the water, knee deep
Deep in the fountain, now down, I go under
Then rise up, rise up forever

The waves that mount and tumble high
I meet the melancholy sky
And all I have I count for loss
There in the clouds one single cross

Repeat chorus

"Yes, deeply I have slept
And now I rise as one who has gone down
Into the well springs of new life
Down across the milk white sands
I wade out into the sleepy cove
And bathe in the holy stream
Then suddenly
I shatter the level mirror of the lake

Repeat chorus

Upon an everlasting tide
Into the silent pool I glide
I plunge to wash this black heart clean
And rise a swan upon the wing

Repeat chorus

-------------------------------------------

Nothing in here about 'standing on a fountain of doubt'. It is just plain beautiful imagery of scriptural baptism. Yes, I agree that Jesus does the transforming. That is not an issue here. I think my point still stands, though.
06-04-2003 09:03 ProdigalDog is offline Search for Posts by ProdigalDog Add ProdigalDog to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I disagree Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Not a big deal but the words ARE there, just not in the same sentence.

The imagery is clear to me. You don't rise a swan after baptism - the swan comes before, from faith in Jesus, and the baptism of Romans 6 represents that. Also, I would reference 1 Peter 3:21, it's not the removal of dirt from the literal water, but the appeal to a good conscience that comes from faith alone.

This is an important distinction from someone who believes the way I do - that there's nothing magical about the water - to someone who douses themselves or their kids to ostensibly get them into the kingdom.

Smile )

06-04-2003 10:28 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Unsullied Affiche

I disagree too Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Nothing I posted is about the water. I don't know where you got that and I think you miss my point, yet at the same time you underscore my original point. I never stated that the purpose of baptism is to remove dirt from the physical body or that there is some kind of magic about the water. It's all about grace based on obedient faith. I don't see the problem there.
06-04-2003 12:11 ProdigalDog is offline Search for Posts by ProdigalDog Add ProdigalDog to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

I've posted this before Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

but it just seems to be apropos to this thread.
My son, Andrew; his very last words were sung in whisper to the CD playing in the background:

"I stand, stand by the water, knee deep
Deep in the fountain, now down, I go under
Then rise up, rise up forever"

I can't imagine anything preaching more brilliantly.
06-04-2003 12:56 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
.GORT.
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 06-02-2003

Beautiful
06-04-2003 13:30 .GORT. is offline Send an Email to .GORT. Search for Posts by .GORT. Add .GORT. to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

The Pool is one of my very favorite DA songs.

06-04-2003 20:47 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
The Pool is one of my very favorite DA songs.

Ditto
06-04-2003 22:51 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
I went out for a walk today, and was listening to Fearful Symmetry. I've always thought "The Pool" was a cool song, but it kinda hit me hard today. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I just realized that the song's about being baptized (just watch me be wrong and feel even more stupid).

Well if your stupid I'm with you cause I didn't realize it talked about baptism until 10 years later. LOL Big Grin

06-04-2003 22:52 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

i will not say, "DS," but i agree with Mark and the hobbit

06-05-2003 00:20 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn

Well if your stupid I'm with you cause I didn't realize it talked about baptism until 10 years later. LOL Big Grin

For me it was about after 10 listens so I don't feel so bad. Tongue

06-05-2003 00:31 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by ProdigalDog
The Pool is one of my favorite DA tunes. It is refreshing to find a contemporary song that speaks to the matter of baptism. This is a topic that most churches don't really know how to deal with so they minimalize it or, is some cases, almost criminalize it.

Indeed. There was this one incident in Japan where one of the members of Bible study asked to be baptized by my father. So he did. The church did not allow him the use of the facilities anymore (because the bible studies were being done there at the time). It was kinda hard to take. I don't think they realized what kind of qualifications my father had.

06-05-2003 00:34 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Pool

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH