Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » 10cc » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 10cc
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

10cc Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is probably a stupid question, but has anyone here listened to 10cc? I read an article in the new Uncut about them and they were raving about their 1974 album "Sheet Music". It naturally peaked my curiosity and i listened to a copy and was impressed. But what really got me was the similarity to DA era Horrendous Disc. Is this a valid note, or am i just crazy? Curious what other people think, if anything.

rob
06-25-2003 10:45 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Confused never heard of them.
I'll do some poking around to find some samples.

06-25-2003 10:48 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

My opinion.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There's something kind of gross about Dr. Sticky posting a thread about 10cc, don't you think? Shocked

(truthfully, don't know them past the hits.... and the rather cool Animalympics soundtrack from ages ago now....)

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
06-25-2003 10:51 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by Dr. Sticky
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
There's something kind of gross about Dr. Sticky posting a thread about 10cc, don't you think? Shocked

Tongue
06-25-2003 13:04 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Sticky
quote:
Originally posted by carl

Tongue

Shocked

06-25-2003 13:10 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Didn't they do that song "I'm Not in Love"?
yes, they did............

don't know much about them, but THIS is a very cool lyric of one of their songs:

Peace In Our Time
Thank you for the gift
The freedom to wonder
In search of the light
Are we gonna let it shine
Forgiveness is the key
The perfect emotion
Will you show us the way
To peace in our time

Where the wild wind blows
The deserts are shiftin'
And the seed will grow
In the sands of time
From the darkest night
A new day is dawning
It's a long long way
To peace in our time

Tell me where can we find
Peace in our - in our time
Where can we find
Peace in our time

From a distant shore
Voices are crying
Can you hear them call
Are we gonna light their way
Salvation is the key
We have to keep tryin'
What we need right now
Peace in our time

Where can we find
Peace in our time

Thank you for the chance
To light up the darkness
Leading the way
Show us to the promised land
Tear down these walls
That keep us imprisoned
What we're prayin' for
Is peace in our time

Where can we find
Peace in our time

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

06-25-2003 14:49 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

"the things we do for love?"
06-25-2003 15:12 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

walkin' in the rain and the snow
when there's nowhere to go
when you feel just like a part of you is dyin'
and you're lookin' for the answer in her eyes
you think she wants to break up
and she says she wants to make up..

ooooooooooooo, you made me love you
ooooooooooooo, you've got a way
ooooooooooooo, you have me crawlin'
up the walls.............

(hey, that's from memory, so if I got a word or two wrong, shoot me Smile )

06-25-2003 16:26 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

IIRC Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Doesn't the band name come from a rather disgusting source?

06-25-2003 16:38 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

whoa, I never knew that, until just now.

did a 'net search.............

that's pretty rude Frown

06-25-2003 20:41 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Confused

06-25-2003 20:46 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Slowly, they begin to get the joke....

06-26-2003 07:24 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

not me- I really live in a cave
no tunes- no joke.
only heard the name and thought it was drug related.....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
06-26-2003 07:41 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Correction, JiMInY.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

LiveD in a cave....

Anyway, off the top of my head: Fairly clever pop band from the '70s (mostly), the members of which also wrote a number of songs for others ("For Your Love" -- or, rather, "FawYawLove" -- would be a prime example). I found this summary as well:

"10 CC were a British band formed during the heydays of progressive-rock and hard-rock by four veteran songwriters and multi-instrumentalists: Graham Gouldman (author of the Yardbirds' masterpieces and of several Hollies' hits, and of one solo album, The Graham Gouldman Thing, in 196Cool , Lol Creme, Eric Stewart (who in 1965 had topped the charts with with the Mindbenders' Game Of Love) and Kevin Godley.

"They debuted with the demented bubblegum hits There Ain't No Umbopo (credited to the Crazy Elephant) and Neanderthal Man (1970), from the album Songs (Fontana, 1970) credited to the Hot Legs. They then changed name to 10CC for Donna (1972), the retro` ballad that established them at top of the charts and that coined their kind of parodistic kitsch. The album 10cc (Mercury, 1973) spawned another hit, Rubber Bullets (a hilarious spoof on Jailhouse Rock) and The Dean And I.

"After offering more of the same with Sheet Music (1974), in particular the Wall Street Shuffle, and experimenting with even crazier arrangements, the foursome embraced the high-tech studio a` la Sparks and turned The Original Soundtrack (1975) into a stylistic tour de force, albeit still rooted in their weird sense of humour and in their poppy melodies. I'm Not In Love (a far more serious ballad, written by Gouldman and Stewart, and featuring a glittering sound that was the result of a veritable studio collage) even became a hit, while the extended collages of Une Nuite A Paris (a sort of grotesque operetta a` la Queen) and Life Is A Minestrone straddle the line between Frank Zappa's operettas and the Beatles' Abbey Road.

"Cartoonish wit and four-part vocal harmonies made them quite unique in their age, occasionally worthy successors of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. How Dare You (1976), which includes the self-parodistic Art For Art's Sake and I'm Mandy Fly Me, Godley and Creme launched a separate career with the triple-album rock opera Consequences (Polydor, 1976), that used a new technique to produce symphonic, choral and natural sounds, and pretentiously bizarre albums such as L (197Cool , Freeze Frame (Polydor, 1979), containing An Englishman In New York, Ismism (1981), Birds Of Prey (1983) and Goodbye Blue Sky (Polydor, 198Cool ; while 10cc continued with Deceptive Bends (1977), Bloody Tourists (197Cool , with Dreadlock Holiday, Look Here (1980), 10 Out of 10 (1981), Windows In The Jungle (1983), totally ignored despite Food For Thought.

"The foursome reformed the original 10cc for the terrible Meanwhile (Phonogram, 1992). Then the two couples continued their separate adventures, 10cc releasing Mirror Mirror (Avex, 1995) and Godley/Creme concentrating on their successful career as directors of videos. Images (Spectrum, 1993) is an anthology of Godley and Creme."

06-26-2003 08:14 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

hey- guess I was wrong-
I DO recognize one of their songs- and how fitting
(for a caveman like me)

I'm a neandrethal man
Your a neandrethal girl
Lets make neandrethal love
In our neandrethal world..........

Its no match for Suzi Quatros "Primitive Love"
but it'll do.
Thx-
jimIny

Sheet Music does sound interesting- may have to glom onto that somehow.

06-26-2003 09:03 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by Dr. Sticky

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

i've read that, but i've also read that it's an urban legend.

Snopes

that's an interesting website
06-26-2003 11:06 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Sticky
quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

i've read that, but i've also read that it's an urban legend.

Snopes

that's an interesting website

Cool website Doc.... Big Grin

06-26-2003 11:12 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

10cc Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Maybe the C-man should use that for the title of his newest album?

Roll Eyes
06-26-2003 11:52 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

and-
I'm an above average guy- (for the record...!)
Ha- I never knew that
10 or 9 or 3.......
what you can learn on the web.......

makes me wonder about the 77s....

06-26-2003 11:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
and-
I'm an above average guy- (for the record...!)
Ha- I never knew that
10 or 9 or 3.......
what you can learn on the web.......

LOL
Big Grin

"makes me wonder about the 77s...." Shocked
06-26-2003 11:55 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » 10cc

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH