Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Lost Dogs DVD rocks » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs DVD rocks 4 Votes - Average Rating: 8.504 Votes - Average Rating: 8.504 Votes - Average Rating: 8.504 Votes - Average Rating: 8.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds good, maybe someone should just compile the best we can come up with and submit that. That way they may just use it.

09-06-2003 09:10 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That is the stupidest review I think I've ever laid eyes on. So broad is the scope of its stupidity that I feel stupider for having read the stupid review.

Maybe if someone had slapped on a soft filter and a really bad strobe things would be better.
09-06-2003 10:25 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by FaintScentsOfSewage
That is the stupidest review I think I've ever laid eyes on. So broad is the scope of its stupidity that I feel stupider for having read the stupid review.

Maybe if someone had slapped on a soft filter and a really bad strobe things would be better.

Wow...what a weird review. She slags the dvd in one long paragraph due to "annoying production decisions" and yet it got a 4 out of 5 rating?? The entire review is poorly written, so it's hard to put much stock in it, but what I find disappointing is that the reviewer (Shari Lloyd) is on the DADL, and witnessed the exchange that took place between myself and Peter, and she more or less copied his gripes point for point and simply rehashed them. Gripes I still don't agree with. Roll Eyes

Whatever though...it's hard to take any review seriously that plagiarizes another critic, credits John Thompson as the author of "Dances With Wolves" and has sentences like: "the performance segments are presented in hard-edged, digital black and white with none of the softness or depth film emulsion film provided classic recordings." What the heck does "film emulsion film provided classic recordings" even mean?? Tongue

Anyway, as Pete suggested, from what I understand anyone can submit reviews to their site...so feel free, but don't feel obligated...

all my best,

jeffrey k.
www.lo-fidelity.com

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffrey k.: 09-08-2003 11:59.

09-08-2003 10:24 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
bret bret is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 08-08-2003

I just ordered my copy last week and can't wait to get it. Good or bad reviews, I could care less. I am a Dog's fan and will like it no matter what.

Stylin' in my buddy's '34 Ford Roadster
09-08-2003 11:13 bret is offline Send an Email to bret Homepage of bret Search for Posts by bret Add bret to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of bret: forty dlux
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Oh geez, who has the sensitive nipples around here?

4 stars

It's what I'd give it (well, maybe the extra 1/2 star ... )

As to the gripes, the Chicago angle is a non starter. Let's crap all over Cheap Trick for releasing Budokan, they're not from Japan! Same with Supertramp - Paris? Give me a break, they're as French as John Cleese.

I happen to really like the DVD, and have let a number of friends borrow it in hopes of getting them to shell out and buy a copy too.

Is it black and white and grainy? Yup. Was it on purpose. Yup. Some people just can't accept the tonal qualities of black and white. I guess it makes them think they have the vision of a dog. Hey, there's a segue, Lost Dogs, black and white ... don't can't see colour. Whooo!

Crap, where was I.

Right. Colour. Which would explain all the colourized Turner films that were better in black and white.

The interspersed "scenes" - well, they either work for you as "colour commentary" or they're distracting from the concert and breaks up the continuity. It didn't work for me at first, but it's growing on me.

The interviews. Common approach, we don't need to hear the question when the answers as self evident. Although on the commentary it would have been a hoot to have the guys talk over the soundtrack and pick out little things they like about the performance, pieces they like singing, etc.

But to attack the reviewer is lame. I realize there's some history behind the comments, but taking it and turning it into a personal attack is low ... even for us.

Remember, 4 stars is 4 stars.

That's pretty bloody good.

09-08-2003 11:20 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

JV-
I will agree- the answers were self evident- before I noticed there was
no question asked.

and as far as b and w- well rattle and hum, what WAS that all about?

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-08-2003 11:45 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
But to attack the reviewer is lame. I realize there's some history behind the comments, but taking it and turning it into a personal attack is low ... even for us.

Who exactly are you talking to?

jeffrey k.

09-08-2003 11:48 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Me, you ... all of us who have a vested interest in seeing the band portrayed fairly. We all circle the wagons in a hurry when we perceive a threat. When we see something that we don't agree with there are times when we make comments about the source.

It wasn't meant as a bash to anyone, so hopefully it didn't come across that way.

09-08-2003 11:58 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

It's just someone's opinion. I don't care if they are a "reviewer" or not. They have their opinion, we have ours. What? Are we not allowed to state our opinion? Do you have to be a "reviewer" to do so? We can be critical of a critic anytime we want. I liked the dvd just as it was. The black and white was great, the music was great, and the quality was great. I give it 5 stars out of 5!!! GREAT JOB JEFFREY K.

~Groucho~
09-08-2003 12:09 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
Me, you ... all of us who have a vested interest in seeing the band portrayed fairly. We all circle the wagons in a hurry when we perceive a threat. When we see something that we don't agree with there are times when we make comments about the source.

It wasn't meant as a bash to anyone, so hopefully it didn't come across that way.

Well I wasn't sure. As it is it's been like pulling teeth to get this DVD reviewed. So look, it isn't as much that it's a semi-bad review with a high star rating, which is weird in itself, it's that it took 2 months to get it done, is poorly written, and basically rehashes another critics gripes....this from (according to their site) the "co-editor" of the Phantom Tollbooth. I simply expected better from them. Not a "better" glowing review that finds no faults, but a better written, better thought out, review that actually reviews the DVD against the genre, the format of DVD, etc. Is that too much to ask?

later,

jeffrey k.

09-08-2003 12:23 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

No it's not too much to ask.

As a hack listener fan I write stuff that glows with warmth and occasionally will pull off some thoughts that are actually coherient.

Timeliness of reviews is important. I've had it for a while and don't have a posted review. In the next week or two I will. I'll have to make sure I'm careful with spelling and sentence structure (grin).

I've been playing the DVD a lot, and my kids especially like watching other musicians play. The audio portion is a great bonus.

J.

09-08-2003 12:47 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
bret bret is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Hey Jeffrey!

Just got my DVD today. I am way excited and can't wait to break away from work to go watch it. In the mean time, I am gonna listen to the audio!

Thanks for the great products that you have put out and for the quick shipping!

09-11-2003 12:29 bret is offline Send an Email to bret Homepage of bret Search for Posts by bret Add bret to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of bret: forty dlux
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

Watch it yet bret? I was there ya know! Cool It was a great concert. Big Grin

~Groucho~
09-11-2003 21:36 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
bret bret is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

I had it in the player earlier, but have been working on sales audits, so I was distracted by the spreadsheet.

I got a kick out of quite a bit of it, even tho I didn't watch real close. I will have to sneak upstairs tomorrow, and watch it more closely during lunch.

09-11-2003 21:46 bret is offline Send an Email to bret Homepage of bret Search for Posts by bret Add bret to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of bret: forty dlux
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit
It's just someone's opinion. I don't care if they are a "reviewer" or not. They have their opinion, we have ours. What? Are we not allowed to state our opinion? Do you have to be a "reviewer" to do so? We can be critical of a critic anytime we want. I liked the dvd just as it was. The black and white was great, the music was great, and the quality was great. I give it 5 stars out of 5!!! GREAT JOB JEFFREY K.

Yes!! Great job, JK!! The whole family watched it last night. Bren was singing along and laughing. Even Ori (certainly not a TST fan) enjoyed it.
It was the first time my wife had seen the Dogs perform with Terry on board. We drove back to Cstone one year to see them, and Terry was ill, so it was a different 3 legged mut. She is a huge Dogs fan and greatly enjoyed the video. i was in heaven. My favorite band with images of my favorite city. If only they could have sung one song from within Buckingham fountain...
09-21-2003 10:57 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

09-21-2003 11:04 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Question is this true ? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Only $24.99
Lost Dogs
Live...Via Chicago (DVD)
We are proud to bring you this awesome 2 disc DVD / CD combo now available exclusively from ChristianDiscs.com. Everything about this limited edition set is top notch. Filmed in B&W letterbox format, this is a professional multi camera recording that both looks and sounds great. Interviews with this legendary band are spread throughout, and the DVD features both a stereo and 5.1 soundtrack. We bought the remaining stock of this one time pressing , and once they are gone, they're gone. We have been going through our stock pretty quick, so act fast.

http://www.christiandiscs.com/

one time pressing Confused

I got MiNe Pleased
but a few years from now (or sooner)... it will be OOP Confused

06-18-2004 15:39 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

RE: is this true ? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
Only $24.99
Lost Dogs
Live...Via Chicago (DVD)
We are proud to bring you this awesome 2 disc DVD / CD combo now available exclusively from ChristianDiscs.com. Everything about this limited edition set is top notch. Filmed in B&W letterbox format, this is a professional multi camera recording that both looks and sounds great. Interviews with this legendary band are spread throughout, and the DVD features both a stereo and 5.1 soundtrack. We bought the remaining stock of this one time pressing , and once they are gone, they're gone. We have been going through our stock pretty quick, so act fast.

http://www.christiandiscs.com/

one time pressing Confused

I got MiNe Pleased
but a few years from now (or sooner)... it will be OOP Confused

It's a "one time pressing" in that if I choose to re-press it, it will be without the audio CD, which makes the current version being sold different from any future pressings....but the way they have it worded sorta makes it sound like it won't ever come out again which isn't really the case. It would simply be a matter of my pressing more...but then it would also need people to buy it.

It's funny....the last 4 months I sold the DVD, I probably only sold 6 copies....which is why I ended up clearing them out so I could focus on other stuff....and now that "Mutt" is announced I have had several people emailing me in a panic that they didn't get the DVD. Roll Eyes It's almost like some people forget to buy stuff and then when it's gone (or they think it is) they sorta freak out. Kinda funny and annoying at the same time.

jeffrey k.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffrey k.: 06-19-2004 10:54.

06-19-2004 00:49 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit

Yes!! Great job, JK!! The whole family watched it last night. Bren was singing along and laughing. Even Ori (certainly not a TST fan) enjoyed it.
It was the first time my wife had seen the Dogs perform with Terry on board. We drove back to Cstone one year to see them, and Terry was ill, so it was a different 3 legged mut. She is a huge Dogs fan and greatly enjoyed the video. i was in heaven. My favorite band with images of my favorite city. If only they could have sung one song from within Buckingham fountain...

We got our copy out of the mail as we were leaving to go to MF's sister's house. We took it with us and must have watched it a dozen times over those 2 days we were there. Our daughter kept asking if we could watch it again. Big Grin

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
06-19-2004 23:01 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Lost Dogs DVD rocks

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH