Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Controversy & TST » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Controversy & TST
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Controversy & TST Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love the Eddies song Billy Graham . I think that Billy has been a pillar in many ways. However, I disagree with him theologically and I disagree with his support of Tricky Dicky and the statement concerning Jews. Do you think his recorded statement from the early 70's takes anything away from the character displayed in such songs as the one Terry wrote? I think we all have worn disguises at times, and I wonder now if the statement ain't wearin' no disguise was always true. As he himself would say, "We're all sinners."
LK-9

06-05-2002 20:09 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think we're all different than we were in the 70's....I seam to remember a few TST songs from that era that are quite different than the Terry we know today.

BD

06-05-2002 20:40 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lost Canine
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, I agree BD, just trying to get a little healthy controversy going. I loved the Bee Gees in the 70's, God forbid.
LK-9

06-05-2002 20:42 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Now I'm as bad as Dennis, replying to my own postings! I think that the theme for many of our "bad" threads should be Stayin' Alive .
LK-9 Big Grin

06-05-2002 20:43 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

why do all the funny threads turn out to be serious and the serious ones get pulled down into the mire of endless posts....?

06-05-2002 20:46 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

I'll bring this back a little to the serious side. How come Billy is lifted up for advising crooks like Nixon, but Campolo is bashed for dealing with Clinton? Both Presidents were/are sinners in need of grace. I have heard Christians bash Campolo so much, when he was doing what others should have been doing.
LK-9

06-05-2002 22:08 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
I'll bring this back a little to the serious side. How come Billy is lifted up for advising crooks like Nixon, but Campolo is bashed for dealing with Clinton? Both Presidents were/are sinners in need of grace. I have heard Christians bash Campolo so much, when he was doing what others should have been doing.
LK-9

I just wish we (New Zealand)had a Christian of any sort who advised our countries leaders. Or a leader who would even listen to a Christian full stop.

Just recently the Queen of England visited our fair shores. Now she is the head of the Anglican Church and so at the dinner our Prime Minister said they would not have grace at a banquet as we are a secular nation. :X

The leader of the opposition is a Catholic (and distant cousin of mine) So I know what party I'll be voting for.
06-05-2002 22:41 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Disjasked Lerna

I do think that many Presidents have listened to Christian leaders here in the USA. I think that several have turned a deaf ear to the advice, but they have listened.
LK-9

06-05-2002 22:44 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:
I love the Eddies song Billy Graham . I think that Billy has been a pillar in many ways. However, I disagree with him theologically and I disagree with his support of Tricky Dicky and the statement concerning Jews. Do you think his recorded statement from the early 70's takes anything away from the character displayed in such songs as the one Terry wrote? I think we all have worn disguises at times, and I wonder now if the statement ain't wearin' no disguise was always true. As he himself would say, "We're all sinners."
LK-9

Well, no one's perfect. Everyone sins and makes mistakes along the way. As the other Mr. Taylor once said, "Jesus is the only hero worth following."
06-05-2002 23:24 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

I know Gamgee, I was just "stirring the pot." I like Billy G. and I love the song too.
LK-9

06-06-2002 01:05 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

to me Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I always thought the song was in light of the Tammy Fayes and
Swaggarts- kind of a-
Hes not like THOSE other guys
and he always had an accepting heart for what the "kids" were up to
YFC and Dave Wilkerson (though he makes me shtuer a bit)and DC Talk and etc.

that kind of thing..and hey-we ALL make mistakes
I voted for Reagen!
JiMInY
06-06-2002 07:34 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

We are not judges...

Test a man by the fruit he produces.

What has Billy done for christianity? How many souls have been spared. Has he been caught in adultary? Has he paid his taxes?

Cast the first stone at Billy and we will all know YOU have sinned not.
06-06-2002 08:10
Disjasked Lerna

Shemp,
This is my "tongue-in-cheek" response, so don't get too ticked off. I am curious if a stadium 10-minute altar call really does do anything for the Kingdom other than stir some emotions. Now I'll probably be accused of "judging," when I'm only having fun. I do know that his association pushes for follow-up and discipleship. I often think though that he's been more political than anything.
LK-9

06-06-2002 10:33 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
LK-9

"How come Billy is lifted up for advising crooks like Nixon, but Campolo is bashed for dealing with Clinton? "
- I think it is really a major shift in public sentiment since the 70's, that's all. I also think it is an unfortunate shift in the wrong direction.

People are generally very happy in this day and age to catch sinners "red handed" - I think it makes them feel superior. The concept "for all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" is completely foreign to our society and culture. Even to Christians!

~ Kaf

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-06-2002 11:02 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Shemp,
This is my "tongue-in-cheek" response, so don't get too ticked off. I am curious if a stadium 10-minute altar call really does do anything for the Kingdom other than stir some emotions. Now I'll probably be accused of "judging," when I'm only having fun. I do know that his association pushes for follow-up and discipleship. I often think though that he's been more political than anything.
LK-9
Planting seeds...

10 minute alter calls are better than none.
06-06-2002 11:33
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
10 minute alter calls are better than none.
I disagree, I think that the 10 minute altar call has done more harm than good. Just my lost thoughts.
LK-9

06-06-2002 11:35 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Luteous LK9 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Eddies song "Billy", I think, was to balance out "Attack of the Pulpit Masters" and "Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor".

The thing I was most dissappointed by was NO preacher's ability to have an answer for why 9/11 happened. Everybody was asking why God would let this happen and Billy's response was as miserable as everyone elses.

It's a little thing called THE FALL , HELLO?!

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
06-06-2002 11:35 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

Okay Fido...

Give us an example of someone who has introduced the globe to the idea of Christ as much as Billy has.
06-06-2002 11:48
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
Okay Fido...

Give us an example of someone who has introduced the globe to the idea of Christ as much as Billy has.

Mother Theresa

06-06-2002 11:54 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
Okay Fido...

Mother Theresa

And don't forget Elvis.

I just love his Amazing Grace.

~Kaf

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-06-2002 12:14 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Controversy & TST

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH