Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New Releases... 2004 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New Releases... 2004 5 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Two things, one IF you can get the rights to do a reissue you want
to do it nice.....and secondly the owner of the rights may stipulate
on how you can release the album if they do give you permission.

If we don't have permission, then we cannot put it up for download.
And most likely, the owners wouldn't want that anyway... as they hold
ownership in hopes of at least one day making money off the recording.

One example lets say an owner of a recording wants $6000 for
you to license a recording, you would want to recover that cost.
You would have to offer something nice to get enough people to pay
enough to get your money back, and make the band money off it as well.
And if you print it nice that adds even more to the cost with manufacturing.

But the owner wanting to protect what he owns may say that you can
only release it under certain circumstances; Nice professional printing,
no mp3s, no cdrs, etc. Its all up to them.

When we did the DA Tribute CD, we did it under the restriction we couldn't
sell it in stores, like Christian bookstore chains. Thats what the publishing
holder stipulated.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-27-2003 00:46 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jaymund jaymund is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Home of the (almost) world champions SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

it would be nice on the releases, since you're looking for a way to help them sell, is to release them in dvd audio (5.1). i have no idea on cost or what it takes to convert the previous music into that format, but they are showing up at music stores more and more. if it is something cheap to convert to, it might help sell.

btw, i'd like the items you mentioned above as well as the original prickley heat telethon, shirley goodness and misery, and no sense of history.

the 77's/mike roe club releases were awesome, sorry to hear that you haven't been getting feedback on those.

jaymund
12-27-2003 03:13 jaymund is offline Send an Email to jaymund Search for Posts by jaymund Add jaymund to your Buddy List
spookmonkey spookmonkey is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 12-27-2003

RE: New Releases... 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What about private investors?

12-27-2003 15:59 spookmonkey is offline Send an Email to spookmonkey Homepage of spookmonkey Search for Posts by spookmonkey Add spookmonkey to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of spookmonkey: mindsplinters
Administrator

That has been an option in the past, JT has done that.

We've never really been involved in that, we would have
to discuss it with Terry and see how to handle that if someone
were to want to invest. Personally, I would be apprehensive
about dealing with someone elses money. That would have
to be given a lot of thought.

If someone contacted us, most likely, we would direct them to
contacting Terry himself concerning that.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-27-2003 16:45 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
Hey J & E
How tough would it be to make up a limited edition book set(Alarma Chronicles) of say 100 and sell them for $75, and then make up an extra #2 & #3 disc because I WAS THE STUPID SAP THAT BOUGHT THE BOOK WITH ONLY ONE DISC AT CORNERSTONE!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas
Commander

NOT "the stupid sap" ... but,

The Kind hearted - trusting soul...
maybe Terry or J&E have some extra disc's laying around...

12-29-2003 14:07 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

my $0.02 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm mo' definitely in for the Darn Floor reissue!

Big Grin

...if you don't have this'n...

...my collection kicks your collection's rump roast ALL over the living room floor!
12-31-2003 08:00 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah we looked for extra discs, but I think the few extra discs we have
are the one he has. We actually have a couple books with no discs
I think, although they maybe misprints. We tried to pull out all the
misprints.

We had a few of each disc extra for a while, but ended up having to
use them to send to people that either ruined theirs by cutting
out one disc and scratching it...or some that were missing a disc .

When M8 gave us the books and discs to put together at Cornerstone,
we didn't get an equal amount of each anyway.

I think M8 had some deal going for a while concerning the Bookset,
don't remember if it was a sale or buy it get something free or something.
But people actually ordered from them, and then complained to us and tried
to make us honor M8s deal. At the time the people wrote us, we didn't
even know what they were talking about. We ended up looking at their site
and seeing the deal...and trying to explain to the people that ordered from
M8 that we are not them.

12-31-2003 14:43 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
You Gotta Be There
unregistered
outtakes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I would be quite interested to hear a compiltion of all of Taylor's best outtakes over the years. Whether they were from DA, Eddies, solo, Surfonic, or Dogs.
- ygbt
12-31-2003 15:01
Administrator

There is some good things out there. Trying to figure out the best way
to release them is the hard part. Another reason we are fishing for ideas.

Terry keeps mentioning wanting to do a box set at some point,
so we don't want to put anything out he wants to use for that.

12-31-2003 15:43 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Prodigal Dog
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 05-17-2002
Location: Dude, be straight, be true. What is shakin' and bakin'? - Jish from the Blair Thumb

How about a compilation CD of tracks that Terry wrote (or co-wrote) for other groups. I'm thinking specifically of some songs for D.O.X. and Wild Blue Yonder but I am sure there are plenty of others - enough to fill a CD. Might be complicated getting permissions, etc., but I think it would be cool since it is impossible to get most of those songs anymore.

P.D.
01-05-2004 09:27 Prodigal Dog is offline Search for Posts by Prodigal Dog Add Prodigal Dog to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

RE: New Releases... 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

These are in order of preference:

- Previously mentioned "Horrendous Disc Sessions" collection:
Naturally, this is my first choice. And for this project, I think it's okay to be maximalist -- if DA has permission to do so, include the HD recordings from Maranatha. However, more than any other CD, I think this project really needs good liner notes because of the myth and rumor of the album and the unusual chronology of that era of DA. And when I ask for liner notes, I'm not talking about more light on the DA/Larry squabble, but what happened and how concerning the music. For instance, the whole thing about the 10-track version of HD and what was the song organization DA wanted on the album? Maybe we can put it this way: the liner notes will be the last word from DA about the album.

- Jubal's Last Band Recordings (Live material and demos from the pre-DA period):
This would be interesting, even given the quality of 30 year old cassettes.

- The Making of Mr Buechner's Dream DVD
As another poster mentioned, the problem with DVDs is they don't get played much in my house either. Certainly it would be interesting but I'm not sure if I would like you all to be putting that effort into a DVD project rather than a CD project. This one is a tough call because what might be okay to watch may not be so okay to merely listen to blindly (as a conventional CD). Part of me would like to see a MBD Sessions CD rather than a DVD because a CD is much more likely to be played more often.

- The DA history compilation DVD (1970s-present day):
What in the world goes on here? Is there that much video available from, say, before 1985?
Interesting, but has the same limitations as any DVD release.

Rob
01-05-2004 20:06 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Boxes and such... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

>>"Terry keeps mentioning wanting to do a box set at some point,
so we don't want to put anything out he wants to use for that."

After some thought, it seems to me that this has to be ironed out first. The decision for this box set seriously impacts the HD Sessions and Jubal releases, at minimum. If the very best stuff from HD Sessions is put in the box (and not included on Sessions), then, what happens if the box never comes out (a possibility since this idea has been toyed with for, like, 6 or 7 years?)? Dare I say it? -- maybe the box set has to come first.

How much of the vision for the box set has been fleshed out? Other artists have put out collections that varied widely -- Dylan has two different boxes which differ from the way that Springsteen did his, which differs from the way Pet Sounds Sessions was done, which differs from the way the Beatles avoided the whole box altogether by releasing 3 2-CD sets. Have you folks considered doing a "box" in the form of a book-set since it has a smaller form and perhaps a lower price than a full-blown box that always tends to be oddly shaped anyway (it seems that some releases that used to come in boxes now are in a CD package that fits in the display better -- I assume this form is cheaper than the box configuration)?

I'm not sure how much Terry has mapped out these historical releases, but the box set could also be a way for fans to get a sense of what some future historical releases might hold. So, for instance, a couple of the Jubal-era tracks might be in the box and so when the full CD of Jubal tracks is released, the listeners can determine just how much they liked the taste they got from the box set. It could be that the box set reveals alot of interest that had not been anticipated.

I know that a major gating item for such a project is financing, but just how ambitious is this plan -- how many CDs, how big the book? A 3-CD book set has already been done -- is this project bigger than that?

I know that this is getting off the subject (because it's not on the 2004 map) but the thought did cross my mind.

Rob
01-06-2004 19:38 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Won't the Jubal tapes deteriorate further the longer you wait to convert them to digital?

01-06-2004 19:41 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jedwardkeyes
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 06-18-2002

...this topic definitely made me rescind my 'lurker' status.

i'd be interested in seeing

- the Complete DA DVD (1970s to Present).

I don't know if Terry has the rights to this or not, but what I'd really love would be a 2-disc 'Darn Floor -- Big Bite' reissue. One disc could be the remastered Darn Floor, the 2nd disc could be demos & rarities from the time period. I was under the impression there was a video shot for the record (I heard the album art is essentially stills from that video). That video could also be included as a file on Disc 2.

I can dream, can't I? ;-)
01-08-2004 16:47 jedwardkeyes is offline Send an Email to jedwardkeyes Search for Posts by jedwardkeyes Add jedwardkeyes to your Buddy List
Administrator

The Darn Floor video was basically just the guys standing
in a room in various poses. Then they took photos from the
video to find the album cover shot. (Some alternate images
can be seen in the TimeLine actually).

Some of this will definitely see the light of day one way
or another.

01-08-2004 17:14 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Won't the Jubal tapes deteriorate further the longer you wait to convert them to digital?

They were backed up digitally as soon as we had them
in our hands

01-08-2004 17:15 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

They were backed up digitally as soon as we had them
in our hands

Glad to hear it. I've been worrying about that ever since you mentioned a long time ago that you had the tapes.

01-08-2004 19:54 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
ZOOMY ZOOMY is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 01-06-2004

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe uReViG
quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
Hey J & E
How tough would it be to make up a limited edition book set(Alarma Chronicles) of say 100 and sell them for $75, and then make up an extra #2 & #3 disc because I WAS THE STUPID SAP THAT BOUGHT THE BOOK WITH ONLY ONE DISC AT CORNERSTONE!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas
Commander

NOT "the stupid sap" ... but,

The Kind hearted - trusting soul...
maybe Terry or J&E have some extra disc's laying around...

I feel your pain for sure, as you can see in my topic that hasn't gotten much interest lol!
01-08-2004 22:11 ZOOMY is offline Send an Email to ZOOMY Search for Posts by ZOOMY Add ZOOMY to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jedwardkeyes
...this topic definitely made me rescind my 'lurker' status.

i'd be interested in seeing

- the Complete DA DVD (1970s to Present).

I don't know if Terry has the rights to this or not, but what I'd really love would be a 2-disc 'Darn Floor -- Big Bite' reissue. One disc could be the remastered Darn Floor, the 2nd disc could be demos & rarities from the time period. I was under the impression there was a video shot for the record (I heard the album art is essentially stills from that video). That video could also be included as a file on Disc 2.

I can dream, can't I? ;-)

yes Smile

01-09-2004 08:07 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Net bootlegs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

J&E, I'm sure you're aware of many audio and video bootlegs on the net. I've found two or three sites in the past year with a ton of bootleg items I never heard of. Here's another one:

http://www.sanctifiedpress.com/datrade.html

If you're looking for footage or release material, would anything here work if it were somehow legitimized?

01-09-2004 11:11 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New Releases... 2004

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH