Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Any word from Terry??? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Any word from Terry??? 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I still have to get my MNF Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's difficult, but I'm expecting my tax rebate check this week, so hopefully by then. I think the release of it being so close on the heels of Christmas did me in.

But as for Terry, I've always felt that he enjoyed when people had fun with his music but he always preferred to be out of the loop. You guys did a great job on DAmb It, and I'm sure MNF will be just as listen-worthy, but most of you make no claims to recording as a future artist.

I, on the other hand, am really trying to take a shot at it. I'm not sure I could stand up straight if Terry wrote a post saying, "Whoa, Dunphy. Your song stank so bad I had to air my car out a week. A whole WEEK!"

I'm resiliant, but not that resiliant.

DwD
02-12-2004 07:50 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by JR88
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
No doubt I had fun, but once and for all, yes, I am going into music. I wouldn't mind an honest assessment at all. If it's anything besides the obvious (i.e. recording quality, can't hear the drums, vocals are terrible, everything's out of time, etc.), it could be helpful.

I'm with 'burn on this one......I too am pursuing music and some criticism from someone like Terry would be great! I'm not saying it would be easy to take but I can get over that and improve on what he thinks needs improvement. I've already made some leaps with my tracks for Sediment, they are much much better than my MNF tracks. They have room for improvement as well but I think as an artist if you settle for how you're doing it then you're not an artist, you HAVE TO constantly try to improve what you're making. Just my .02 Big Grin

02-12-2004 08:21 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my version of "Alarma" was just for fun...

The song I did with Sean Thomas Eugene I am pretty serious about.

Terry does seem to prefer to stay out of the loop with this stuff... I'm sure that's a good thing.

02-12-2004 08:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

I'm not sure anyone has thought of this, but for the folks that are interested in Terry's opinion on how your cover sounds in the professional sense, you may want to re-think that. Not because your songs are bad or whatever, but it would seem to be an awkward place to put the man by wanting him to professionaly comment on his work being covered by amatuer musicians who are hoping to go into music as a career or future. It just seems unfair to Terry on several levels. I'm not sure what Terry's policy is on this, but a better idea might be to record your own songs, and then send them to him asking for feedback if he has the time. But I'd only do this if you really want honest feedback. Otherwise, I'd just enjoy paying tribute to his music and leave it at that.

jeffrey k.

02-12-2004 12:58 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

yes... that's the truth of it for sure. I would not want to be put in that situation! Shocked

besides when someone else does a version of your work it's gotta feel like people messing around with your soul, out for the whole world to see.

02-12-2004 13:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by JR88

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
I'm not sure anyone has thought of this, but for the folks that are interested in Terry's opinion on how your cover sounds in the professional sense, you may want to re-think that. Not because your songs are bad or whatever, but it would seem to be an awkward place to put the man by wanting him to professionaly comment on his work being covered by amatuer musicians who are hoping to go into music as a career or future. It just seems unfair to Terry on several levels. I'm not sure what Terry's policy is on this, but a better idea might be to record your own songs, and then send them to him asking for feedback if he has the time. But I'd only do this if you really want honest feedback. Otherwise, I'd just enjoy paying tribute to his music and leave it at that.

jeffrey k.

wow Shocked jeffrey k. you really put that into perspective there I never thought of it that way. Thanks Cool

02-12-2004 13:08 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Carman
Tuxedo-clad Megastar

Registration Date: 04-12-2002

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

why wasn't bowling pin on the second fan tribute?
i love that guy! Pleased

02-12-2004 13:43 Carman is offline Send an Email to Carman Homepage of Carman Search for Posts by Carman Add Carman to your Buddy List
Bowling Pin Bowling Pin is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 05-28-2002

Smile Wow! My hero's HERE!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by the Tuxedo Clad Megastar
why wasn't bowling pin on the second fan tribute?
i love that guy! Pleased

I can't believe it! This is great! I know a lot of people on this board don't like you, but I think it's a big, big house, with lots and lots of room! Anyway, I love your music! I even have your Pilates Praise CD! Big Grin

By the way, do you know Steve Taylor? I think your music and his have so much in common! I think the way you both use your wit and showmanship to reach people for the Lord is great!

Sorry I didn't have time to contribute to the Fruit album -- I had some tough classes this past semester and really needed to apply myself. Hope you understand. I even had the song written, though, so let me post the words and you can tell me what you think. It's another attempt to get the people on this board to give your music and your ministry a chance. Maybe I'll have to time to record it for the next DAmb CD, but I hope you like it anyway:

the Tuxedo Clad Megastar IS JEHOVAH TO ME

I can tell you're a grouchy old board
But I'm tryin' to see you still love the Lord
But your words are confusin', it seems you're abusin'
God's Anointed, who you’re so mean toward

Now Christians you say you are
So how come you won’t follow this star?
Now I know my words you don’t believe
But the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me
If I give him 30 thousand, he’ll play my town for free
I don’t know why all you smart fellers can’t see
That the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

Spoken:
Now we’ve both said that DA, they rock
But that RIOT CD you still knock
Now it seems rather odd, if we’re all children of God
That you’d think “This Blood’s for You” is a crock

Now the Lost Dogs can only depress you
And those Eddies, they can only satirize
But when the Spirit comes in, you’ll know my Cham-pi-in
And sing the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

If I give him 30 grand, he’ll play my town for free
I just don’t know why you smart fellers can’t see

(everyone sing now….)

Even though you hate his guts there on the D-A-m-b
Why can’t you intellectual giants just see

Joey thinks I’m a fake
He can jump in the lake[1]
‘Cause the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me-e-e-eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

[1] Lake Superior, of course — the cold water might even wake him up! Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Bowling Pin: 02-12-2004 13:56.

02-12-2004 13:53 Bowling Pin is offline Send an Email to Bowling Pin Search for Posts by Bowling Pin Add Bowling Pin to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Tongue! RE: Wow! My hero's HERE!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Bowling Pin
Joey thinks I’m a fake

rotflmao! Tongue

02-12-2004 14:03 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
there's truth in that. Most of the contributors did so out of fun. I'm pretty sure some of the people would not want a truly honest assessment. I'm not being mean, I'm not some saint of brilliant artist who thinks I'm ooooh soooo good.

But if you're really serious about getting into music, and want feedback in an honest fashion say so, but have a thick skin because music is pretty subjective more than most of the arts.

Stuart wants to be the Simon Cowell of the DAMB!

COME ON, Stu, tell us what you REALLY think!!!!!

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

02-12-2004 15:19 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

RE: Wow! My hero's HERE!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Bowling Pin
the Tuxedo Clad Megastar IS JEHOVAH TO ME

I can tell you're a grouchy old board
But I'm tryin' to see you still love the Lord
But your words are confusin', it seems you're abusin'
God's Anointed, who you’re so mean toward

Now Christians you say you are
So how come you won’t follow this star?
Now I know my words you don’t believe
But the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

If I give him 30 thousand, he’ll play my town for free
I don’t know why all you smart fellers can’t see

Spoken:
Now we’ve both said that DA, they rock
But that RIOT CD you still knock
Now it seems rather odd, if we’re all children of God
That you’d think “This Blood’s for You” is a crock

Now the Lost Dogs can only depress you
And those Eddies, they can only satirize
But when the Spirit comes in, you’ll know my Cham-pi-in
And sing the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

If I give him 30 grand, he’ll play my town for free
I just don’t know why you smart fellers can’t see

(everyone sing now….)

Even though you hate his guts there on the D-A-m-b
Why can’t you intellectual giants just see

Joey thinks I’m a fake

This gets the giant-sized LOL!

LBig Grin L

02-12-2004 15:27 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

BP you is a funny guy....

we did miss you this time around.

BD

02-12-2004 17:18 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Whatt!?!?!??? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

his work being covered by amatuer musicians who are hoping to go into music as a career or future.

who told you that pile of BS?

Well - if any of the MNF "stars" are waiting for thier big break...
I'll sell em a real neat bridge in Brooklyn.
Cheap.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-12-2004 17:36 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Game, set and match - Jeffrey K. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Glad you said it better than I, in my sad need to always crack a funny.

DwD
02-12-2004 19:40 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

did you say you have a funny crack?

02-12-2004 19:51 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

RE: Whatt!?!?!??? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
his work being covered by amatuer musicians who are hoping to go into music as a career or future.

Are we reading the same thread, or is this an attempt to be funny, or what?

The people that "told me this" are some of the ones (who shall remain nameless) who have now been on both tributes who have sent me demos in an effort to "get signed" not to mention at least 3 people in this very thread who in one way or another have stated their intention to "go for it" and do music.

Don't worry though Jiminy, I wasn't talking about you.... Roll Eyes

jeffrey k.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by jeffrey k.: 02-12-2004 21:27.

02-12-2004 20:49 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

lol cricket is a pro like the rest of us. Big Grin

02-12-2004 21:04 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I'm not ashamed, or maybe I am Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Jeffrey means me (for one), but I have sent discs to others on this board as well.

But I totally get what's being said, and I agree. I enjoyed contributing songs to the discs and I'm sure I'll have fun with the proposed Mike Roe tribute, but I'm not ready (yet) for the unvarnished constructive criticism... Let me get good first, then y'all can fire away.

But until then: I have suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.
DwD
02-12-2004 22:49 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

RE: Whatt!?!?!??? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

Are we reading the same thread, or is this an attempt to be funny, or what?

The people that "told me this" are some of the ones (who shall remain nameless) who have now been on both tributes who have sent me demos in an effort to "get signed" not to mention at least 3 people in this very thread who in one way or another have stated their intention to "go for it" and do music.

Don't worry though Jiminy, I wasn't talking about you.... Roll Eyes

jeffrey k.

What? You didn't get my demos? I was really hoping to get signed to your label, make a zillion bucks, or sell 500 units - whichever came first.

Dang, I may have to resend it.

Ar ar.

02-12-2004 23:13 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

RE: I'm not ashamed, or maybe I am Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Jeffrey means me (for one), but I have sent discs to others on this board as well.

But I totally get what's being said, and I agree. I enjoyed contributing songs to the discs and I'm sure I'll have fun with the proposed Mike Roe tribute, but I'm not ready (yet) for the unvarnished constructive criticism... Let me get good first, then y'all can fire away.

But until then: I have suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.
DwD

You did? Man...I'm not sure I ever got it.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything. My whole point was really that for those that want to go into music that were on the tribute, (and to clarify further, that doesn't mean Jiminy) asking Terry for feedback on your recordings of his songs may not be the best move. Thats it.

jeffrey k.

02-12-2004 23:28 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Any word from Terry???

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH