Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Passion Of The Christ
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hello all. Forgive my "hit and run" posting. I pop in every so often just to read about what's going on and to keep up with things, etc, etc but don't often post as I know I'm not around (esp right now) to keep up my end of the discussion. First off, what a great film!! Personally I think it does what it's supposed to - share the Good News of Christ - that He paid the price for us. On reading this particular post I couldn't help but think of the parable about the seed that was sown......some fell on good ground and took root, some on stony ground and rose up but wilted in the heat of the sun, some among thorns that choked out the message and there's a fourth there but, dang it, it ain't coming to me right now. Anyway, point is Jesus faced the exact same type of response to His message back when as we're concerned about right now. I think the message is being put out in a very forceful way and the Holy Spirit (the same one that Mel said directed his direction) will deal with those who are open to guidance. Some will benefit from it and some won't but Mel's done his part - he told the story.

As for how people reacted to the film, I am a BIG popcorn fan but I couldn't bring myself to purchase any that night. Glad I didn't cuz I couldn't have eaten it. I saw the film at 10PM on a Saturday night in a packed auditorium and while there was no outward penitence there were plenty of weepy eyes and an overall hush there. Hopefully a sign of some SERIOUS contemplation. We all do have to return to everyday life and all it's banalities but hopefully something is getting started in these people that will someday come to fruition. A seed does have a gestation period, some longer than others.

And one last comment until I shut up again. The Ten Commandments - Guys, that document is what our whole governmental system is based on (at least in part). All those others came along, in our neck of the woods at least, way later. Political correctness has run amuck once again and the sad thing is it's destroying our heritage. I do believe we'll (America) one day look back and see how stupid these actions are - at least I hope so.
Again sorry for my inconsistent posting pattern. I do appreciate reading all the thoughts and viewpoints expressed here and do often get a guffaw or so at some of the wit and humor.

OK, one more. Is that a lhasa apso on that lady's head or is it just me?

Jim B

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

You are right. You all have good points. Here's my concern. Right now this movie is cool to go see. My local newspaper did an article on the front page saying it was the best thing in the world. Ironically, they did the same for The Matrix. My fear is that people will see it, put it in the back of their heads and say "hey, I'm saved, I saw the movie." Why is it that my friends who are very involved in witchcraft and new age philosophy are loving this movie so much and yet showing no change or conviction in their lives? Why is everyone I know rushing to see this movie like it's the long awaited Star Wars? Why is everyone coming out happy as can be saying "that movie kicked ass?" My brother-in-law runs our theaters up here and so I have an inside source into what goes on. He says that everyone loves the movie. Now find me a non-Christian who goes in there and comes out loving the movie. That in itself shows something is wrong. If this movie was doing what everyone says it is doing people would be coming our crying. People would be on their knees praying. At the very least, people would come out with a serious expression on their face.

A good question was stated earlier: "what if the movie does more good than harm?"

It might and if it does then I'm sorry for attacking it. On the other hand, if I go and see the lighthearted crowds I'm gonna get Mountain Dewed so I guess I'm not going to see it.

On TBN they are saying that the guy who played Jesus was unsaved until he was on the cross and then he was transformed. It all hit him so hard. Sounds like the old TBN bull if you ask me.

In time, this movie will be burried in people minds like The Jesus Movie and people will be freaking out about the next Star Wars or something.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jwaltb: 03-09-2004 22:42.

03-09-2004 22:40 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

jWaltb-
You really read all this tripe?
I love your posts- and do want you to pipe in any ol time.
Have not yet seen the Passion- but I want to soon.
Somehow Before Easter just seems appropriate.

Appreciate your insights...

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-10-2004 08:06 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Understandable Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"And one last comment until I shut up again. The Ten Commandments - Guys, that document is what our whole governmental system is based on (at least in part). All those others came along, in our neck of the woods at least, way later. Political correctness has run amuck once again and the sad thing is it's destroying our heritage. I do believe we'll (America) one day look back and see how stupid these actions are - at least I hope so. "

I agree in the validity of the Commandments in equation to American law. I wish it were that those basic truths of right and wrong held some sway... But our Christian heritage in the context of law is done, it's over. We are called to not break the law of the land and to follow the higher law of God.

Our system of law, as it stands, is corrupted and cannot change. Tricks of law, power and prestige can affect judges and juries all too easily. Plus, our country is more diverse than it ever has been. I believe we are called upon by God to view each case with a blindness to sex, color and religion, and that requires an almost wall-eyed perspective on it.

So there is a court case involving a Jewish family whose 401K plan has been ravaged by a whitebread Bostonian mutual fund management company, and the preponderance of evidence is staggering... However, they come to the courthouse that, in it's trappings, recognizes but one spiritual outlook and has no reflection of their's... That's harsh.

So no, the law has very little to do with the will of God and we as good Christiams ought to be sensitive of those trappings. But as much as I would argue against permanent monuments, I think it is unfair that we should have to dismantle Manger scenes at holiday time, and I defend our right to at least have that, just as I would defend my Jewish brothers' right to have Chanukkah items displayed. The Manger is the birth of our beliefs made flesh and, as such, I think some slack could be cut...

And why do I think that? Well, because I'm a bloody hypocrite, that's why.
DwD
03-10-2004 08:12 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

A delicacy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"jWaltb-
You really read all this tripe? "

You don't read tripe... You eat it! With A1 Sauce!!

Grrrr! Tear it up!!
DwD
03-10-2004 08:14 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

LOL

DEFINITION 2,
DUDE , 2.....

1 : stomach tissue of a ruminant and especially of the ox used as food
2 : something poor, worthless, or offensive

MAN - YOU COULD HAVE TRUFFLES WITH IT-
AND TRUFFLES FOR DESSERT! ( OR IS IT DESERT?)

03-10-2004 09:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I'm still cranked that they removed the Rocky Statue-
but I guess he was my little gawd for a while

-Yo Adrian!

they are in a battle right now to remove the Commandments off our City Hall Lawn.
the only thing I wanna do is take my picture with me and my grandson by it- just to show his kids maybe...it was eracted there the year I was born- or thereabouts.

The city is scheming ways to keep it there- but I dont think it will happen.

Hey, Beenie, that's a cool idea!

I have a digital, you know...............................and would be glad to assist in this task.

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

03-10-2004 12:04 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
DarnFloorBigBite DarnFloorBigBite is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-14-2004

Just saw THE PASSION about a week ago

Props to Mel Gibson for making a startling and powerful piece of Art.
This is one of the most disturbing and moving films I've ever seen.
And as for the people who focus on the blood & gore...they missed the point entirely!
Roll Eyes

Shop smart! Shop S-MART!
03-14-2004 11:54 DarnFloorBigBite is offline Send an Email to DarnFloorBigBite Homepage of DarnFloorBigBite Search for Posts by DarnFloorBigBite Add DarnFloorBigBite to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of DarnFloorBigBite: stevezilla2002
Ceremonial Kernel

Passionate Success? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The box office returns proclaimed the victory of Jesus and "The Passion of the Christ" held on as number one movie in the country. Coming in second was the Stephen King supernatural thriller "Secret Window". Last week's 2 & 3, "Starsky and Hutch" and "Hidalgo" keep steadily losing traction.

Entertainment insiders expect studios to go whole hog, producing Biblical features to capitalize on the success of the film, totally glossing over exactly why the movie has struck such a chord with audiences. Will Ben Stiller be coming yet again to a theater near you, this time as Jonah? How about The Crocodile Hunter as Noah? Maybe The Rock and Pamela Anderson as Adam and Eve...

DwD
03-14-2004 13:11 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
DarnFloorBigBite DarnFloorBigBite is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-14-2004

Or even worse yet,
The Return of CARROT TOP in
WaterWorld:The Life of John the Baptist

The horror........ Shocked

Shop smart! Shop S-MART!
03-14-2004 17:15 DarnFloorBigBite is offline Send an Email to DarnFloorBigBite Homepage of DarnFloorBigBite Search for Posts by DarnFloorBigBite Add DarnFloorBigBite to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of DarnFloorBigBite: stevezilla2002
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Passionate Success? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
The box office returns proclaimed the victory of Jesus and "The Passion of the Christ" held on as number one movie in the country. Coming in second was the Stephen King supernatural thriller "Secret Window". Last week's 2 & 3, "Starsky and Hutch" and "Hidalgo" keep steadily losing traction.

Entertainment insiders expect studios to go whole hog, producing Biblical features to capitalize on the success of the film, totally glossing over exactly why the movie has struck such a chord with audiences. Will Ben Stiller be coming yet again to a theater near you, this time as Jonah? How about The Crocodile Hunter as Noah? Maybe The Rock and Pamela Anderson as Adam and Eve...

DwD

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Crying Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
03-15-2004 01:56 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by DarnFloorBigBite
Or even worse yet,
The Return of CARROT TOP in
WaterWorld:The Life of John the Baptist

The horror........ Shocked

Tongue

03-15-2004 06:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Then people will have a right to be so critical.

Actually I think most movie companies will know that
these topics will be highly controversial and if they
do these stories in a negative way there would be a
backlash. They would want Christians to be happy with
the films, thats how they would make their money off them.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-15-2004 10:54 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I would have more respect if Mel let people see the movie for free. He paid for it with his own money so why not pay for people's tickets? I'm sure he's made way more back than he put into it. Another way to make $$$ of Je$us!!! Wooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo!!!

03-15-2004 11:02 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Easy there, big fella.... Roll Eyes

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
03-15-2004 11:25 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Using that arguement then Christian artists should be giving their stuff away once they hit break even ...

03-15-2004 18:19 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

hmm, I've gotten a traveling stipend for playin and singing- spose I should give that all back ..
(if I can remember who and how much over the past 20 years...l)

And heck- I really think my workplace is fertile ground for evangelizing- so , why should I get paid?

and dorf- are you giving away all your sediment records?
I'll take two please- post paid!
(jk on some of this..)

the end of the tale is yet to be told on what Mel may do with the "proceeds"-
has he said hes stuffing his pockets and lining his mattress?

03-15-2004 19:24 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Amen, Jevon.

I give Mel lots of credit for putting up his own funds to make this movie...and if he gains from it, so be it. I know he's building a church - an orthodox Catholic church - that will probably benefit from the profits of this movie.

He had a hard time selling it....and maybe used some advertising and politicism to get it going.......but who doesn't in this media-hungry world? At least, he's promoting something worthy, and I'll bet he never expected it to be THIS popular.

I give the guy kudos - for standing tall against adversity, for bringing HIS passion for Christ to the world, and for being a gutsy guy. How many movie moguls would have taken on such a task, and for what gain? I believe that Mel put his heart and soul into this.....and found a deeper love for Christ in the undertaking (along with much of his cast.) Seeds? Yeah, the guy is burrowing.......and the fruit is yet to be seen.

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

03-15-2004 19:26 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by Woggy
Amen, Jevon.

I give Mel lots of credit for putting up his own funds to make this movie...and if he gains from it, so be it. I know he's building a church - an orthodox Catholic church - that will probably benefit from the profits of this movie.

He had a hard time selling it....and maybe used some advertising and politicism to get it going.......but who doesn't in this media-hungry world? At least, he's promoting something worthy, and I'll bet he never expected it to be THIS popular.

I give the guy kudos - for standing tall against adversity, for bringing HIS passion for Christ to the world, and for being a gutsy guy. How many movie moguls would have taken on such a task, and for what gain? I believe that Mel put his heart and soul into this.....and found a deeper love for Christ in the undertaking (along with much of his cast.) Seeds? Yeah, the guy is burrowing.......and the fruit is yet to be seen.

Oh my, can you believe God would use a Catholic to help bring people to Christ?

Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mark: 03-15-2004 20:46.

03-15-2004 20:46 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Wink Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i love it!
03-15-2004 21:10 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Mark, that is the funniest thing I've seen in ages. As I will spend this evening at a bible study, where the host denomination is very evangelical, and pretty much think Catholics, and their ilk are eeeeeeevil.

Except, when it comes to Lord of the Rings "Tolkien was a Christian you know? " and Mel "Mel is a Christian you know?" and music "Rich Mullins was a Christian you know?"

Sadly as a Christian (trying, failing, trying, failing, trying ... ) who likes the Anglican church they don't know what to do.

But in general what evolved into the Catholic church is viewed as evil and icky. Which is too bad. You can almost hear the thud of the baby hitting the ground as it gets thrown out with the bath water.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jevon the Tall: 03-15-2004 21:18.

03-15-2004 21:17 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH