Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » zoom daddy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page zoom daddy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

zoom daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my pal, Jasooon, emailed me this question and agreed to share it here at the DAMB:

"Any particular remembrances of the Zoom Daddy sessions that you care to share? How long did the entire song writing process take..."

zoomdaddy was an oddball. terry usually comes in with a bunch of stuff prepared but on zoom daddy, he didn't. none of us had anything. and for some reason, only dave raven, terry and i were able to make it for the initial recording session.

anyway, we setup (just the three of us) and just started playing and fooling around and gene rolled tape and we just got into some sort of strange thing where we couldn't stop and we went as fast as we could, laying down basic tracks with dave's drums, bass, and terry's guitar. (terry doesn't think of himself as a guitar player, but he really is.)

what happened is that dave raven trully FUELLED the whole thing. dave and i had played together a lot and you just get into a thing where you know where each other is going.

dave would just start playing a beat, and i would pick a key and just start playing a bass line and trying to play what it felt like, and then, terry played these really great guitar parts.

the song "zoom daddy" was one of the first tracks, in fact i'm pretty sure it was THE first track. terry spontaneously started singing "zoom daddy zoom zoom daddy zoom daddy daddy" and i started laughing and he just kept going.

"zoom daddy" was the first song we completed because terry had to have a rough mix of it done for the record company to play at some christian booksellers convention or something. (it was really funny to me, picturing all these staight-laced types standing around and hearing Zoom daddy for the first time.)

since we had to have it done, and there was no greg or jerry around at the moment, i played guitar on it. terry played the main, descending guitar part (over the "zoom daddys") and i came in on "i believe all you've said.." and played everything else. (in fact, any time you hear an over-distorted, noisy bunch of guitar nonsense on a da or eddies song, there's a good chance that it's me playing, and if you hear an actual musical guitar part that actually sounds good, it'll be either greg or jerry or terry.)

but that's how zoom daddy came to be. it just sort of happened. and terry, of course, did his usual thing with lyrics and melody.
03-29-2004 11:06 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool It's cool to hear those studio stories Big Grin

How are ya Tim?!?! Big Grin

03-29-2004 11:11 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow. Just when you think you can't love a guy any more.... Big Grin

I wonder if Bruce Thomas ever did anything like that? Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 03-29-2004 11:16.

03-29-2004 11:15 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sniff, that was spewtiful.

03-29-2004 11:26 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: zoom daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool to the MAX!
What a lucky son to have you for a father!

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-29-2004 11:29 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thanks for the story Tim. How are you doing today?

03-29-2004 11:32 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

agree-
that story is the bomb!

next time I listen to ZD (tomorrow??)

I'll keep the tale in mind- it changes the way you hear a tune.

Tip a hat, Tim-

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-29-2004 12:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Tell Jasoooooooon we said hi, BTW....

03-29-2004 12:21 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

cool story!!!

03-29-2004 13:17 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Where's Tim?

03-29-2004 13:18 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Toque Boy Toque Boy is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 12-08-2002

Thanks Tim! Smile )
03-29-2004 17:09 Toque Boy is offline Send an Email to Toque Boy Search for Posts by Toque Boy Add Toque Boy to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Cool story Tim! I declare Tuesday, March 30, "Zoom Daddy Day." I am going to listen to it all day long. Any takers??
LK-9

03-29-2004 19:29 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Good story, Tim! Now maybe you can explain why Berger didn't play on this one? Confused

Big Grin

P.S. I will definitely participate in "Zoom Daddy Day"!

03-30-2004 05:02 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Disjasked Lerna

ZOOM DADDY DAY!

Anyone else with PuP and I???

03-30-2004 08:23 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Damb! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I fergot to bring it to work!
But , since we are on GMT..and the Good Capn is ALREADY in tommorow- I will make a note to spil over- so its like Woostrock- a three day fest of ZOOM DADDY!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-30-2004 08:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

RE: Damb! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I fergot to bring it to work!
But , since we are on GMT..and the Good Capn is ALREADY in tommorow- I will make a note to spil over- so its like Woostrock- a three day fest of ZOOM DADDY!

I'm game. I've been on a week of Motorcycle. It's time for a change.

Let's join hands and sing:

"Time for, a cool change, it's time for a cool, cool change." (trivia, who sung that one!)

03-30-2004 08:58 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Angry No fair! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
Cool story Tim! I declare Tuesday, March 30, "Zoom Daddy Day." I am going to listen to it all day long. Any takers??
LK-9

You can't just spuriously declare today my favorite's album's day, not even 12 hours after finally hearing/meeting my newest hero Mike Roe! It's just WRONG!

Don't make me CHOOSE, dammit! Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

03-30-2004 09:10 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Disjasked Lerna

Fill us in Carl! How was it meeting Mr. Roe??

03-30-2004 09:18 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Very cool. A longer account is on the 7s board, but suffice to say I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

(but I AM a heck of a lot taller.... Big Grin )

03-30-2004 09:26 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Interesting story Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Zoom Daddy certainly had a looser feel to it, so I'm not surprised how it came together. There are some songs that seem more pre-thought though... So "The Twist" and "Pyro Sets A Wildfire" are products of this jam and record process too?

I've always had a soft spot for "Pyro" (please don't touch it; my skull's still forming)... Every time it starts, I inadvertantly sing "She's a hawwwwn-kee-tawk, a honky-tonk woman!!"

DwD
03-30-2004 09:54 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » zoom daddy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH