Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Alarma Records » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Alarma Records
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yup. DA was all over those.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-30-2004 21:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis
RE: Myrrh Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Asherman
quote:
Originally posted by Eis
My Dad has the cassettes...Equator was on myrrh originally.

ya mean these?...Pleased

Yeppers.
05-31-2004 09:26 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

There are a lot of those Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Myrrh was huge and had a lot of worthwhile releases that just disappeared off the radar. Now that Word is no more (at least, no more in the sense that they're owned by a large media conglomerate now) it seems more and more unlikely that those Stonehill discs, as well as lots of Mark Heard's stuff, David Edwards' "Get The Picture", Sweet Comfort Band's last two and a whole era of Rez Band, will ever get re-released / remastered.

My CD of "Cutting Edge" sounds terrible, plagued with hiss and lo-volume issues.

DwD
06-01-2004 08:47 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah it all depends on who actually owns them. It might
make a difference if in some cases Word was just the distributor.
Or maybe along the way someone else bought them from Word.

We know in the case of Mark Heard, at least one of his recording
contracts was never signed by him. According to his manager.

Or there is also the option of leasing them from Word, if they
do own them.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-01-2004 09:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Jacob's Trouble "Door Into Summer" was really good I thought,

I liked "Knock, Breath Shine" .....

They started out sort of acoustic Beatles -ish and by the
end had morphed into the Monkeys.

by "Let the Truth Run Wild" they were the Christian Monkeys I think.

I thought "...Truth..." was JT's worst outing. Their self-titled follow up was awesome though.

Jacob's Trouble is the only reason I gave DA a chance. I figured, if these guys are awesome, the bands they dig have to be awesome too.

On a side note, most of the final line up of JT is now in a "world music" styled band called Janah.

Janah's Website Check 'em out - they're unique. Big Grin

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

06-01-2004 10:08 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I bought "Truth" in a used bin only because I had heard of them on this board.
It didnt really overwhelm me- some tunes were catchy, but its not in my rotation much.
The CD liner was autographed by the entire band-and there was a Sonshine Concert Leaflet with the CD- I assume the original owner thought highly of them at one time..but you know how it is...I did think that was a plus for a 2.00 item.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
06-01-2004 10:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

I listened to Door Into Summer a lot, and in fact still listen
to it some.

The one after "Truth Run Wild", wasn't that "Digging Up Bones?"
the demos of the first album and rarities?

Even their worst album was above most of CCM I thought.

06-01-2004 11:22 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
I listened to Door Into Summer a lot, and in fact still listen
to it some.

The one after "Truth Run Wild", wasn't that "Digging Up Bones?"
the demos of the first album and rarities?

Even their worst album was above most of CCM I thought.

I think the self-titled album was before "Diggin' Up Bones". (I don't own "Diggin'..". Are there any bonus tracks that would make it worth seeking?)

The self-titled album is a real departure from their first three albums. It's a decent modern-rock release.

I do have to say that I still enjoy the occasional listen to all of their albums. personal favorite highlights are:

DIS: Church of Do What You Want To
She Smiles at the Future

KBS: About Sex
Further Up and Further In
These Thousand Hills (still superior to Third Day's cover)

LTTRW: ONFS (Obligatory New Father Song)
Oh My God You Scare the Hell Outta Me (Come on! With a title like that you HAVE to give these guys some credit)
Wall of Doubt (It's good to cover DA tunes)
06-01-2004 16:19 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis
Cool Door Into Summer Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My Dad picked up Door Into Summer from RadRockers at Cornerstone NC last summer (we got 30 cassettes for $10!); I think the Monkees influence outweighs the Beatles influence on that album even. I like it, I like the Monkees; just no comparison to the band they were supposed to rival. I like the way they did a Monkees and a Beatles cover on the same album...don't find that very often, least not in my experience...
06-01-2004 16:25 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: sorry... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mindgasket
I thought Jacob's Trouble sucked.

Crying

First two CDs were great... the ones Terry produced... Cool

after that they did suck! Crying

06-01-2004 16:28 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah it's a weird mix, I just think it increasingly became more
and more Monkeys influenced throughout the albums.

There are some really good songs on "Door".

06-01-2004 16:29 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Jacob's Trouble "Door Into Summer" was really good I thought,
then each release after that went progressively down hill.

I liked "Knock, Breath Shine" .....

They started out sort of acoustic Beatles -ish and by the
end had morphed into the Monkeys.

by "Let the Truth Run Wild" they were the Christian Monkeys I think.

agreed!

06-01-2004 16:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

The Trouble with Jacob Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Take it from me. "Truth" WAS our (how do you say?) execrable outing. My least favorite to make as well as listen to. It was plagued with so many problems it had no choice but to suck.

I'm rather fond of ONFS but that was because of its intensely personal connection. And I think "You Scare The Hell Outta Me" is more worshipful than much of what passes for Praise & Worship these days. But, let's face it, any album recorded in a week is going to suck.

My biggest regret is that we didn't ask Terry to produce it. Nothing against Mark Heard but we had built a relationship with Terry and I don't think we fully explored what that could have produced musically. All of the other problems with that record seem to stem from the decision not to go with Terry.

Thanks to all of you who listened and supported us. And bollocks to the guy who said we sucked! Big Grin
04-01-2005 02:14 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

hey. it was all good!!!

i enjoy it. Smile

04-01-2005 02:19 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Davison
Take it from me. "Truth" WAS our (how do you say?) execrable outing. My least favorite to make as well as listen to. It was plagued with so many problems it had no choice but to suck.

I'm rather fond of ONFS but that was because of its intensely personal connection. And I think "You Scare The Hell Outta Me" is more worshipful than much of what passes for Praise & Worship these days. But, let's face it, any album recorded in a week is going to suck.

My biggest regret is that we didn't ask Terry to produce it. Nothing against Mark Heard but we had built a relationship with Terry and I don't think we fully explored what that could have produced musically. All of the other problems with that record seem to stem from the decision not to go with Terry.

Thanks to all of you who listened and supported us. And bollocks to the guy who said we sucked! Big Grin

Yeah... you weren't supposed to read this part of the board! Shocked

I love the first two Jacob's Trouble records, and it seems you guys kind of lost your way after that... but than again who wants to make the same record over and over??

I was bummed out over the fact Terry did not produce that record too!
The great thing about Terry was, he helped you sound as good as you really were! No offense to Mark Heard either! He just did not make a record that was a good as Jacob's Trouble was!

(That's my way of saying "I'm sorry"Big Grin )

04-01-2005 06:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
hey. it was all good!!!

i enjoy it. Smile

Yeah! That's what I meant to say! Smile )

04-01-2005 06:12 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

You guys never say you are sorry for saying my music glows with warmth Big Grin

Here's the way I see it. Knock Breath Shine is the perfect album. The first one was great too but I like the more alternative sound of Knock the best. LTTRW was not bad. I love the Alarma cover. I think a lot of us were looking for Knock 2 when it came out. The Self Titled sounds like a completely different band but wow! When I heard some of it on a Christian Rock show on KFSG I went out and bought it the next day. I have talked to people who thought LTTRW was the best one. Sometimes it depends on what you hear first Tongue

04-01-2005 12:07 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I agree with the fact that any and every "frontline" release was a catch- my kids bought under the label...
would ANYONE in any genre buy under a label today?

It was very hip/cool stuff

I think Escape from the Fallen Planet was a great Crum CD.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-01-2005 12:22 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
You guys never say you are sorry for saying my music glows with warmth Big Grin

Here's the way I see it. Knock Breath Shine is the perfect album. The first one was great too but I like the more alternative sound of Knock the best. LTTRW was not bad. I love the Alarma cover. I think a lot of us were looking for Knock 2 when it came out. The Self Titled sounds like a completely different band but wow! When I heard some of it on a Christian Rock show on KFSG I went out and bought it the next day. I have talked to people who thought LTTRW was the best one. Sometimes it depends on what you hear first Tongue

I think I just had such high expectation after the first two CDs which are classics in my mind. They were very large shoes to fill. If Terry would have kept working with JT it would have been another story.

04-01-2005 16:23 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
eddie p eddie p is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 09-30-2004

I don't get the monkees reference.
I heard Beatles and Amos influences, but if you say it was Monkees influenced , well who were the Monkees influenced by. The Beatles. The first song I heard was Waiting for the Son and I heard a U2 sound in there somewhere.

04-01-2005 19:27 eddie p is offline Send an Email to eddie p Search for Posts by eddie p Add eddie p to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Alarma Records

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH