Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos and DA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos and DA
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Daniel Amos and DA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was thinking about the Wacky Fan's comment that the switch to DA was synonymous with the band's decline (or something like that). Obviously, this isn't true, but has anyone ever noticed any kind of great difference between the first group of Daniel Amos albums (Daniel Amos to Vox Humana), the DA albums (Fearful Symmetry to Kalhoun), and the second group of Daniel Amos albums (Motorcycle to MBD, and hopefully even farther)? Has anyone noticed any distinction there besides the name difference? Just some random thoughts.
06-27-2002 23:25 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Um, no.

I mean, yes.

There's a huge difference in the music. I guess that may be normal for DA, but it's not normal for any other band. Try listening to Alarma! then Kalhoun. Well you don't have to, you know what I'm talking about.

06-28-2002 00:02 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My fav's all seem to be under the "DA" or "Da" moniker except for the new album. For me, the name change to DA was synonymous with the lyrical content of the music growing to something that no other band in Christian music or "any" music for that matter has achieved. Lyrics that make this hard-hearted synical son-of-a-french cry..... Crying Now that means something, doesn't it??? Smile

-Down the twists and turns
Of a long, long story
I am here to learn
About the weight of glory

My questions right now don't need all the answers
Just, please don't ever let go of me
No, don't ever stop loving me

06-28-2002 00:09 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

A grain of truth Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think there's an element of truth that the Wacky Dallas guy picked up on.

In an interview (on Motorcycle Tracks?) I think Terry himself said the return to the full name in some way signified a return to the original DA sound with Motorcycle and the return of Jerry (not an exact quote.)

06-28-2002 06:36 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Shemp
unregistered

The music may have changed from one genre to another but 2 things have remained the same.

1. The band has always plowed into new territory (for a “Christian” band this is a no-no). This courage establishes a foundation for the rest of Christian artists to follow in their footsteps.

2. The band has never changed their tune… in other words the message remains the same!
06-28-2002 06:48
Ceremonial Kernel

Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

In an interview (on Motorcycle Tracks?) I think Terry himself said the return to the full name in some way signified a return to the original DA sound with Motorcycle and the return of Jerry (not an exact quote.)

The original DA sound? Oh, I see... but their sound changed every album...

I agree with Shemp.

06-28-2002 19:25 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
quote:

I agree with Shemp.

Uh wha? Someone agrees with me?
07-03-2002 07:04
Dw. Dunphy
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Two Cents, No Sense, Fine Everybody! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I always saw Vox Humana as a DA album, or more to the point it's a transition. It has a tongue-in-cheek approach to a majority of the songs that disappears on Fearful Symmetry, obviously a darker, thought-provoking record. Still, there on the cover, DA is prominently featured against the bold, spelled-out Daniel Amos name.

And think about it, that Daniel Amos to DA difference is very much a tonal shift as all the light-hearted asides were shifted to the Eddies. Some of it crept back in on Motorcycle (Jerry's influence?) but Daniel Amos as band seemed to have grown to take things more seriously from Humana and thereafter.

07-03-2002 10:12 Dw. Dunphy is offline Send an Email to Dw. Dunphy Search for Posts by Dw. Dunphy Add Dw. Dunphy to your Buddy List
Bowling Pin Bowling Pin is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 05-28-2002

A little off-topic, but not much Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It seems like a lot of the Alarma Chronicles (and maybe what makes it so good) has this end-times urgency ("Through the Speakers," etc.) that was obviously there from the Shotgun Angel days (side 2 especially). Like Terry had to say everything NOW. It was almost like when the world didn't end at the end of Fearful Symmetry and now only that but Terry saw it wasn't even close to what HAD to be said, he had to keep reinventing himself (and of course, the bands he was in) to find different ways of saying what was basically the same thing ("There may not ever be / Anything here new to say / But I'm fond of finding words / Say them in a different way," right?).

I know that probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but what can I say? Darn Floor Big Bite. Smile

07-03-2002 12:00 Bowling Pin is offline Send an Email to Bowling Pin Search for Posts by Bowling Pin Add Bowling Pin to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
quote:

I agree with Shemp.

Uh wha? Someone agrees with me?

Yeah, I do. Big Grin

07-03-2002 13:47 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

What's in a name?

-- The Author of the Post
07-05-2002 12:43 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

is just seems to me to be the overall growth of the band.
I think maybe TST was trying to break out of the CCM scene and give the band a more secular sounding name.

Confused maybe?? Confused

07-07-2002 14:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
is just seems to me to be the overall growth of the band.
I think maybe TST was trying to break out of the CCM scene and give the band a more secular sounding name.

Confused maybe?? Confused

It was during that time that the band was also playing the club circuit in Hollyweird, CA.... Luckily, I got to see at least one of those shows... Pleased

07-07-2002 16:34 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos and DA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH