Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What the critics think..... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What the critics think.....
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good review

07-27-2004 07:58 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: new review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Not sure how long this has been up, but I just noticed it...

http://www.tollbooth.org/2004/reviews/mutt.html

I thought that was a good, well balanced review for the most part.

The only thing I might take exception to is that "Beautiful Scandalous Night" is the best prayer ever written and the best song on the album. Don't get me wrong, it is a good song, and I really enjoy it but I wouldn't call it "best" prayer or song on the album, IMHO.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-27-2004 08:43 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by jwaltb
RE: new review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have to agree MF. I like the album alot, but I wouldn't rank BSN as one of the best on there. But hey, I'm glad it is touching others. That song's lyrics are what it's all about.

JB
07-27-2004 12:37 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

quote:
Originally posted by jwaltb
I have to agree MF. I like the album alot, but I wouldn't rank BSN as one of the best on there. But hey, I'm glad it is touching others. That song's lyrics are what it's all about.

JB

I don't even see it as a prayer. Now, Sushine Down is a prayer.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-27-2004 13:07 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

to me
BSN is more of a hymn-

stating a biblical Doctrine in song

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-27-2004 13:31 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
to me
BSN is more of a hymn-

Ditto!

And although I really like BSN, I wouldn't say it's the best on the album either.

Other than that, this was a great review! Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-27-2004 22:25 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

quote:
to me
BSN is more of a hymn-

Thanks for the clarification, jiminy! Is that the actual definition of a hymn? I always just associated it with all those old songs found in a.......... you guessed it ......... hymnal. Never stopped to think about what defined a song as a hymn.

JB
07-28-2004 12:04 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
to me
BSN is more of a hymn-

Thanks for the clarification, jiminy! Is that the actual definition of a hymn? I always just associated it with all those old songs found in a.......... you guessed it ......... hymnal. Never stopped to think about what defined a song as a hymn.

JB

OK, jiminy... next question... now that you have defined hymn, what is hern?

Got a few miles left ...

07-28-2004 12:10 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

[/quote]

OK, jiminy... next question... now that you have defined hymn, what is hern?[/quote]

Being from your neck of the woods, I figured you'd know that MF.........

it's the opposite of haw. Pleased

JB
07-28-2004 21:27 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Well, this one should go up in a day or two... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...but I shall give you all a preview.

From www.musictap.net:

Lost Dogs
Mutt (Fools Of The World / Lo-Fidelity)
Four Stars

Produced by Steve Hindalong & The Lost Dogs

Rush
Feedback (Anthem / Atlantic-Elektra)
Three and a half Stars

Produced by David Leonard and Rush

Randy Newman
The Randy Newman Songbook Volume 1 (Nonesuch)
Three stars

Produced by Mitchell Froom

Three discs by three very different sets of artists, all sharing a single, unifying thread: The backward glance at a long and impressive career. Some work better than others but all of the releases have their merits.

The Lost Dogs may be the least known of the bunch, even though they’ve been around more than a decade and each member’s “main” band has been on at least twice as long. Terry Taylor (Daniel Amos), Mike Roe (The Seventy Sevens) and Derri Daugherty (The Choir) produce a unique sound together, not quite rock/pop but not quite country. Call it Americana and split the difference. Their sound is driven by a much envied vocal harmony and an intimate understanding of the acoustic guitar and their songs wander the fields of hope, loss, faith, doubt and the common bond all people share, like it or not.

On “Mutt”, the group decides to adapt songs from their collective pasts and revue them in this new, more homespun sound and the results, more often than not, are astounding. The highlights range from Taylor’s prominent address on the 77’s “The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and The Pride Of Life”, with his voice recalling that of a southern troubadour, an earthy arrangement of The Choir’s contribution to the side project At The Foot Of The Cross, “Beautiful Scandalous Night”, a full-on rockabilly revamp of the 77’s new-wave rocker “It’s So Sad” and a crowning rendition of the D.A. concert favorite, the Southern-hymn-tinged “Ain’t Gonna Fight It”. Oddly, the one that takes the prize is the sole new track on the set, an ode to the ‘empty nest syndrome’, “I’m Setting You Free (But I’m Not Letting You Go)”.

All the performers elevate the contributions to new levels by pulling back, and the soulful sound and pace do not turn the tunes into parodies; a distinct possibility of happening in a project such as this. Fans of Johnny Cash’s spare “American Recordings”, Pinetop Seven, Richard Buckner and Jim White would do well to give this mutt a home in their collection.

www.lo-fidelity.com

With the intent of looking back in fondness, the members of legendary power trio Rush culled together some of the songs that inspired them to make music. The result, a sprightly E.P. called “Feedback”, hits more than it misses, but not by fault of performance.
Guitarist Alex Lifeson gets to stomp in the footprints of heroes like Eric Clapton (covering Cream’s cover of Robert Johnson’s blues landmark “Crossroads”), Pete Townshend (The Who’s “The Seeker”) and Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck (via The Yardbirds covers, “Heart Full Of Soul” and “Shapes Of Things”). One has to assume that drummer Neil Peart got his kicks from the Who cover as well, throwing himself into the hallowed cyclone of Keith Moon.

The positives, and this eight cut tidbit has plenty of them, are that with such a stylistic diversity amongst these tracks from the 1960s, most sound like Rush. The signature sound the band’s fans have come to recognize instantly has not been sacrificed for the sake of the tribute. Also, the band sounds energetic and happy to be where they are, unlike the “cold water, little toe” undercurrent of the previous studio album “Vapor Trails”. They no longer have to prove they’ve survived. They can simply play the music that they love, and it comes through nicely.

Also positive is Geddy Lee’s voice on “Heart Full Of Soul”, a contender for single status if ever there was one. Although the subject matter is much more direct and less cryptic than usual Rush fare, Lee’s voice really shines through with Graham Gouldman’s lyrics, and the stuff transcends the 60s – 04 divide with confidence and grace. Not as fortunate is the cover of The Buffalo Springfield’s “For What It’s Worth”. I’m afraid that no one is going to be able to make the lyrics contemporary even if the subject matter is dangerously topical. Of course, when Stephen Stills wrote them, they were direct and conversational, but for the sixties vernacular. Now it sounds less like a dusting for a classic and more like a new version of an old song.

The band knew this was a friendly aside and, in that spirit, confined their walk down memory to this snazzy e.p. complete with faux, miniature vinyl gatefold packaging. Still, this eight song offering is longer than some regular releases now topping the Billboard charts, so the bargain price for it (generally between eight and eleven bucks, s.r.p.) is yet another treat. Rush fans; come out of hiding. It’s o.k. They’re not here to freak you out, just to thank you for the lovely ride.

www.rush.com

The third disc in our backward glancing triptych is “The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1”. On it, the acerbic writer strips everything down to the basics – his voice, his words and his piano. When it works, it shows why Newman is held in such regard. The sexy “You Can Leave Your Hat On”, more recognized by the Joe Cocker cover, “God’s Song (That’s Why I Love Mankind)”, the black comedy and sarcastic irony of the racially charged “Rednecks” all have no place to hide, spilling out cold like fuel splashing from an overflowing gas tank. With an errant spark, the whole thing’s going to go up in flames and you have to believe that’s just the way Newman likes it.

Also represented is his most recent passion, film scoring. There are three tracks representing his movie work: the themes from “Avalon” and “Ragtime” (his first score, by the way) and “When She Loved Me” from “Toy Story 2”. That third track is the big problem, though. The original transforms from melancholy piano piece to poignant tear-jerker because of the lyrics (sung on the soundtrack by Sarah McLachlan) and this version is piano-only. Why the choice was made, I don’t know. The lyrics could easily have switched context had Newman sung them, but we’re left with only half of the puzzle here. A disappointment, to be sure.

The other negative is the stark, spare approach Newman and producer Mitchell Froom take here. Powerful in doses, a full disc of what t.v. show ‘Family Guy’ mordantly pointed out, “Newman, sitting there, singing ‘bout what he sees”, eventually gets tiresome. Had they chosen to sprinkle the music occasionally with additional musicians, a single setting with “The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1” might have yielded a different response. He plays well, sings in his own inimitable style and you can’t fault his musicianship, but the constantly focused approach wears me down. Still, in pieces, you can’t give this stuff a thumbs down vote. The world is in some sick way, a better place for having Newman’s “Political Science” in it, and how could you fault that?

www.nonesuch.com

In conclusion, depending on your tastes and fortitude, none of these discs are “bad”. Most of the material is time-tested and will survive long after this review has bit the digital dust. None of the performers have lasted this long on sheer luck. Do yourself a favor and try one or all of them out.

The Lost Dogs – Mutt
1. If You Want To
2. The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and The Pride Of Life
3. Like A Cloud
4. Grace Is The Smell Of Rain
5. Sunshine Down
6. To Cover You
7. It’s So Sad
8. Ain’t Gonna Fight It
9. Beautiful Scandalous Night
10. I’m Setting You Free (But I’m Not Letting You Go)

Rush – Feedback
1. Summertime Blues
2. Heart Full Of Soul
3. For What It’s Worth
4. The Seeker
5. Mr. Soul
6. Seven And Seven Is
7. Shapes Of Things
8. Crossroads

The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1
1. It’s Lonely At The Top
2. God’s Song (That’s Why I Love Mankind)
3. Louisiana 1927
4. Let Me Go
5. Rednecks
6. Avalon
7. Living Without You
8. I Think It’s Going To Rain Today
9. You Can Leave Your Hat On
10. It’s Money That I Love
11. Marie
12. When She Loved Me
13. Sail Away
14. The World Isn’t Fair
15. Political Science
16. The Great Nations Of Europe
17. In Germany Before The War
18. Ragtime
07-28-2004 22:31 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

OK, jiminy... next question... now that you have defined hymn, what is hern?

Being from your neck of the woods, I figured you'd know that MF.........

it's the opposite of haw. Pleased

JB

I thought hee was the opposite of haw? Gee ha! Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 07-29-2004 00:03.

07-29-2004 00:00 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Durn! Now you got me confused. Guess I'm gonna have to take the rest of the day off to sort this out...... Confused

JB
07-29-2004 12:01 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

well - I actually heard Buddy Owens speak one time a number of years back- and he rather used that definition, as compared to current" worship" songs- which try to evoke a feeling more than an idea about God.

I thought it interesting- as most of the great hymns were written before the common man could read- so I think its true, many biblical ideas are laced into hymns, the cross, redemption, the blood, heaven, salvation

while many choruses today just sort of say "I love you Lord, and thanks."

Both are important -IMHO - and that was the emphasis of the seminar I heard.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-29-2004 12:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Good points. Kinda like what I heard about the reasoning behind alot of the statues and artifacts (stations of the cross, etc.) of some of our older Christian churches. Since many people couldn't read, graphic representations of the Bible teachings were erected to help them remember. Made sense to me. The problems arise (I think) when people take a tangent and worship the image more than what it represents.

But I agree about both types of music having a place. Being on the charismatic end of the spectrum we lean heavily toward the more modern stuff but we occasionally mix in some more hymnlike songs. Matter of fact, we were discussing how alot of the early charismatic choruses were almost straight from scripture and how some of us kind of missed that; whereas alot of the newer stuff is as you stated. Not that those choruses rival A Mighty Fortress or anything, but there was a simple faith about them.....

Ah well, I have submitted Beautiful Scandalous Night as one to learn for worship (again) and think we're gonna do it this time around. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

JB
07-30-2004 13:09 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What the critics think.....

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH