Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (13): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you find DA? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Re: how did you find DA... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA... What state is that? Wink Big Grin Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-25-2004 21:59 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

finding DA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I heard DA for the first time in the early 80's. A friend of mine gave me a tape with Alarma on one side and Doppleganger on the other. I loved it right away. Soon became familiar with Horrendous Disc and the Shotgun Angel also via illegal dubbed cassettes. The first album I bought when it first came out was Vox Humana. I now own legitimate copies of everything on CD and most things on vinyl as well (if they were available on vinyl), so I don't feel too bad about the indiscretions of my youth.

-jolly

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jollyholiday: 07-26-2004 09:12.

07-26-2004 09:11 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
Ben Ben is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 06-15-2004

Da Fan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My Dad introduced me to DA in the 70's with the first DA album and then Shotgun Angel. Both my parents (now in thier late 70's), loved the Alarma Chronicles, and transitioning from the country stuff to the rock was really easy for both generations. The message to the church in Alarma was something that nobody else in christian music was singing about and nobody was even talking about. I lost touch with Terry and friends for about ten years after that, but learned that they were still producing music from a friend at church. He told me about the Eddies, the Lost Dogs, the Choir and the 77's. It took a while but I finnaly bought up evey cd that DA, Eddies, Terry, the Dogs and Choir have ever done. Just now starting my 77's collection.

Now it's my turn to introduce my kids to DA. My teenage daughters like the country stuff, the little kids like Imaginarium and the crazy stuff from the Eddies. My nine year old loves Alarma #1. My teenage son doesn't like DA. (He likes crap - no accounting for taste - hopefully he will outgrow this phase and acquire an appreciation for real music.) If anybody cares, I have seven kids - six girls and one boy.

A few weeks ago, I had the Lost Dogs come to my church (Rock Creek in Derwood MD) and convinced about fifty friends to come and check out the Dogs. Many cd's were sold and several new fans were made. Even my wife, who thinks I'm a DA nut, enjoyed the concert. She's starting to listen to the Dogs without me putting on the cd!!!!

DA ROCKS!!!!!!!

Ben
07-26-2004 09:41 Ben is offline Send an Email to Ben Search for Posts by Ben Add Ben to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
I'm also honored to have my alma mater's name mentioned in 'Hide the Beer'. Big Grin

John

Ditto for my wife & I! Tongue

07-26-2004 10:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
I'm also honored to have my alma mater's name mentioned in 'Hide the Beer'. Big Grin

John

Ditto for my wife & I! Tongue

Which schools are you guys referring to and what years were you there?

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-26-2004 10:08 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Finding Daniel Amos Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For reference, I was born in 1966.

While I was in high school in Camden County (Georgia), the local Christian bookstore in St. Marys had accidentally acquired a copy of Doppelganger the year it was released. I bought it because I like the cover; it looked different, & in high school I was different, by a mixture of nature & choice. I had never imagined music & words like these, especially since we had just read T.S. Eliot in class (about the only decent thing we did read). From that point on, I was hooked.

I've since acquired Alarma on CD & Shotgun Angel on cassette. I stayed current until after Motorcycle was released. Then this past Christmas, my sister gave me Mr. Beuchner's Dream. Not only did it renew my interest in DA, but it was something I had never thought would exist: an album that I may actually like better than Doppelganger.

P.S.-- pizzalero, are you still here in Athens?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Gabriel Syme: 07-26-2004 10:38.

07-26-2004 10:37 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
smackeral
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-16-2004

DA and our kids Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My kids used to laugh me off as a DA fanatic (which I am). Then I gave my eldest (then 13, now 15) an assignment to do a "literary analysis" of the Alarma Chronicles. Once he really took time to listen, he loved it! Now he laments the "lame lyrics" of the CD's he used to listen to. After we saw the Dogs in concert, the kids bought a CD and had all the guys sign it. So they all love the Dogs now. They also think the Neverhood is very cool. They think Uncle Stonehill's Hat is hilarious and often re-enact the dialog from it at the dinner table. Great music/art transcends generational differences! These guys' work is truly timeless.
07-26-2004 11:18 smackeral is offline Search for Posts by smackeral Add smackeral to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by smackeral
They think Uncle Stonehill's Hat is hilarious....

Is it still possible to find this anywhere?

07-26-2004 11:29 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I think sometimes people are put off by the strangeness
of their music at first, but if they give it a chance they
will 'get it'.

And really it's not all that strange, it's just strange compared
to what people normally listen to.

When we started going back to church in like 1980, we
literally dropped all secular music for a while and started
listening to praise music... thats what we were exposed
to.

So we went from;

"I want to praise you Lord, much more than I do..
I wan to praise you Lord, much more tha I do...
learn to seek your face, and the goodness of your grace...."

Right to;

"Central theme, the most important thing
Central theme, the tie that binds together
Central theme, every line is breathing
Central theme, another heart receiving..."

Yowza! Culture shock. Christian music... that is as good as
the classic rock albums we listen to before...and not just
Christian music, Christian music that is deep and real.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-26-2004 11:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
They think Uncle Stonehill's Hat is hilarious....

Is it still possible to find this anywhere?

We got it from
unclestonehill.com
listed on the links page of this site, and also run by audioris!

It's a great CD. I like it just as much as our kids. I think most anyone that wasn't too uptight and straight-laced would like it.

Got a few miles left ...

07-26-2004 11:33 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: DA and our kids Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Great music/art transcends generational differences! These guys' work is truly timeless.

Ain't that the truth! Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

07-26-2004 11:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

You know, this is the coolest thread ever! Pleased

07-26-2004 11:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

In 1981 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was searching for some Xian Tunes that were worth listening to. I bought "Rock around the world" as a sampler. It had "Home permanent" on it and I was hooked. However, it would be like 15 or more years later before I found a copy of "Vox" and heard the entire thing.
07-26-2004 11:41 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I agree dorf
Folks have told their stories in bits and pieces- but this do beat all!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-26-2004 11:42 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i was 15 and i actually bought vox humana in one of them so-called Christian book stores!!! Shocked
i don't go anywhere near them places now!!! Pleased

07-26-2004 12:02 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

My school Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"She had a beer as an evening snack,
when the 'scripture man' planned a sneak attack,
suspension's the buzz out at Wheaton,
as she packed her bags and gathered her books,
'scripture man' gave her that lustful look,
yes lust is his brew but no one sees through,
his minty fresh breath ain't reekin'....."

I was at Wheaton College from '80 to '84.

DA had a great concert on campus in September '84. That was what initially turned my wife OFF. The Doppelganger songs were just too weird for her. And they very nearly didn't get their money because they openly mocked the college policy of no dancing with "Dance Stop". We were all dancing in the stands, policy notwithstanding. It was an unforgetable night.

07-26-2004 12:11 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

horrendous disc - bought it knowing nothing of the band... '82 (I think?)

the cover grabbed my attention - took it home and put it on the turn table and was absolutely blown away... put away the degarmo and key, servant and petra - kids I found something that intrigued my mind and gripped my heart!!

no turning back within a short time I acquired alarma! and was totally hooked...

it would be many, many years till I heard the country stuff - but it was amazing to me how the b side of shotgun hinted at the changes toward HD...

Daniel Amos is without a doubt a mainstay in my life and they never fail to intrigue, inspire and surprise me with their creativity, their challenging and insightful lyrics and their wide spectrum of sounds and textures.

DA da Daniel Amos - I am truly grateful that I stumbled across them early in my search for meaningful music...

~f

ps - 11 in '77 - and my alma mater (Messiah College) missed the cut in pass the beer... (bummer!).

dit, dit, doo

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by freak: 07-26-2004 13:31.

07-26-2004 13:30 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Ben Ben is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 06-15-2004

quote:
Originally posted by freak

ps - 11 in '77 - and my alma mater (Messiah College) missed the cut in pass the beer... (bummer!).

Darn I must be an old man. 20 in '77.

Freek - it's "hide the beer'

DA ROCKS!!!!!

Ben
07-26-2004 13:39 Ben is offline Send an Email to Ben Search for Posts by Ben Add Ben to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Ben
quote:

Darn I must be an old man. 20 in '77.

Freek - it's "hide the beer'

DA ROCKS!!!!!

hmmm... when I was a pastor it was always - pass the beer...

Cool

ha ha... guess that is why I am "formerly known as pastor."

~f

dit, dit, doo
07-26-2004 13:41 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

hmmm... when I was a pastor it was always - pass the beer...

Cool

ha ha... guess that is why I am "formerly known as pastor."

~f

I had a pastor who would say that too. He is no longer a pastor either.

07-26-2004 14:00 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Pages (13): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH