Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Curious » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Curious 11 Votes - Average Rating: 5.91
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Curious Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I got to this website because I love contemporary Christian music and I've been seeing Daniel Amos on Larry Norman's website, Christiandiscs, and on The Choir boxed set.
When I got to the message board, I was shocked to see some of the postings. I read ravings about The Who and Sienfeld; but insults for the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, Audio Adrenaline, dc Talk and Amy Grant. I like satire (ala Steve Taylor), but the stuff on this board seems to go too far. Taylor's satire is geared towards promoting Christian attitudes that are relevent- this board gets kind of nasty. This is not the kind of talk that is appropriate for believers.
What gives?

07-02-2002 09:27 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
anne
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

hope this helps :D Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

just keep in mind, servantsteve, the views expressed by people on the message board are not neccessarily endorsed by the band.

we are evill. yes.

but daniel amos rocks!!! i recommend buying all of their cds, starting with mr buechner's dream, and then taking this message board with about 500,000,000 grains of salt.

after that, if you experience itchiness, incontinence, or irritability, you may need to consult a physician. dr rich???? you in da house???
07-02-2002 10:27 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Thread Starter Thread Started by servantsteve
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Much to my wife's chagrin, I will soon own my first Daniel Amos CD. I haven't made up my mind on which one to start the collection. From the reviews, I thought "Horrendous Disc" would be the best. Now, I'm hearing Mr. Buechner's Dream is a good start.
I've heard Daniel Amos before, although I didn't realize it. In the early 80s the only contemporary Christian station in the area at that time played the good stuff on saturday night. That's where I first heard Steve Taylor and Daniel Amos. When I saw "Travelogue" on the discography, I remembered those days. Back then, there was a great deal less CCM to choose. (I bought the Tuxedo Clad Megastar and amy Grant back then, along with 2nd chapter of Acts, Randy Stonehill, Bob Dylan, Petra, Steve Camp, Kieth Green and Larry Norman) I took a hiatus from CCM from the mid 80s until 2000 and am overwhelmed with the selection. I've bought over 200 CDs in the last 2 years, some good, some bad. Alot of the music I'm "discovering" was available even in the 80s, but I didn't know about it- Daniel Amos, Rez Band, Larry Howard, Daryl mansfield- to name some of the ones I've really enjoyed.
So let me know whch DA albums are the best. I promise not to join any CD clubs.....I know only the most popular land up there.....

07-02-2002 10:46 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Bowling Pin Bowling Pin is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 05-28-2002

Hey Steve! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's funny you should drop by just now. I was just mentioning some of my misgivings about certain lyrics by the band themselves, actually (see the "Attack of the Pulpit Masters" thread). But like Anne said, don't take people here too seriously. It goes down easier that way. Smile

As for where to start with DA, Mr. Buechner's Dream is a very good place. Especially since it's still pretty new. I would recommend some of their earlier stuff, especially The Alarma Chronicles, but it sounds like a lot of people here have troubles finding other DA material. I still don't get that. But if you don't have that problem by you, I'd definitely go pick that bookset up. Or buy the individual CDs (Alarma, Doppelganger, Vox Humana, Fearful Symmetry) if the cost of the whole set is too prohibitive (but it is 4 CDs for the price of 2, if you think about it that way).

The Lost Dogs albums (which feature Terry Taylor, Mike Roe of the 77s, Derri Daugherty of The Choir and until recently "the late, great" Gene Eugene of Adam Again) are very accessible as well, especially the first two (Scenic Routes and Little Red Riding Hood). Best Of is a very good place to start, since it has a lot from both of those CDs.

07-02-2002 11:34 Bowling Pin is offline Send an Email to Bowling Pin Search for Posts by Bowling Pin Add Bowling Pin to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

hey bowling pin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

where are U buying these DA and DA related works
the last time I saw the Alarma Chronicles for sale-
it was 4 CDs worth of music for the price of 5
and good luck trying to find SR or LRRH by the Dogs on CD. at least in any good shape.
I have not had this personally-but from what I read they are scarce!
Even MBD is getting harder to find.
JiMiNy CriCKEt
07-02-2002 12:26 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, do what BP said. If you can find those CDs...

07-02-2002 12:32 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

so thos SS is a real guy?
it seems that way huh?

I like DA, The Choir, 77's, Mike Knott, Adam Again, The lost dogs, eddies, farm beatles, etc, etc, etc...

most of the rest of ccm pretty much glows with warmth.
sorry, but that is the truth.

07-02-2002 16:27 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
it seems that way huh?

I like DA, The Choir, 77's, Mike Knott, Adam Again, The lost dogs, eddies, farm beatles, etc, etc, etc...

Agreed! I do have to admit I've been playing those City on the Hill and At the Foot of the Cross cd's alot lately though..... I avoid Christian book stores like the plague though. Pleased

07-02-2002 16:34 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
it seems that way huh?

Agreed! I do have to admit I've been playing those City on the Hill and At the Foot of the Cross cd's alot lately though..... I avoid Christian book stores like the plague though. Pleased

I go to those bookstores way too much Crying I am an addict!

07-02-2002 16:37 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Yes, I are real Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't really understand the disdain for CCM, but I can live with it. I've noticed a number of artists have set up their own sites to get a higher percentage of the profits or whatever. I thik it's great but it forces the consumer to do the research.
Glenn Kaiser has got a site called grrrr records. I think you DA fans would find alot of stuff that appeals to you there. Glenn was on of the original members of the Resurrection (Rez) Band and they sell all the available Rez albums there, along with a few of his fringe groups- I understand there's a little Christian punk, alot of Christian blues, etc.
Darryl Mansfield plays excellent harmonica and sings Christian blues like no one business- he's got his own website.
Larry Norman's got a website, too. He also features some Daniel Amos and Randy Stonehill. He was da bomb when I first got saved in 1979.
Undercover has a website. What an awesome band.
Another artist that is really good is Larry Howard. Larry used to play with the Allman brothers and has done some stuff with Kaiser and Mansfield. He's a blues guitarist that ranges from blues to southern rock. His latest album, American Roots, features members from his secular group of 20+ years agos (Griderswitch) as well as Charlie Daniels' band. It really rocks but to buy it, you have to write to his wife and send a check through the mail. You can reach him at LHBluesman@aol.com and get all the details you need. It's extremely good in my estimation.
Jesus rocks!

07-02-2002 16:47 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ubique Epoque

Undercover... good times Wink

I do like me some Charlie Daniels Big Grin

BTW it's nice to see someone new who is "real" kinda like that cute toy rabbit Wink

07-02-2002 16:51 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

How do I work myself out of "Normal Noggin" status?

07-02-2002 16:54 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
How do I work myself out of "Normal Noggin" status?

keep posting Smile )

07-02-2002 16:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Just to clarify, when we say we don't like "CCM", that does not mean that we don't like all "Christian" music, or why would we listen to DA??? CCM is a moniker that has come to mean all that is cheezy and lame in music. I would advise you to buy a cd called "Sacred Cows" by DA's altar ego band, the Swirling Eddies, and maybe you will understand why we love C*rm*n so much here and all that type of stuff. Wink
I like Larry, Glen and all that stuff. C*rm*n, Amy and all of that type make me want to lose my lunch. Pleased Pleased Pleased

07-02-2002 16:57 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Just to clarify, when we say we don't like "CCM", that does not mean that we don't like all "Christian" music, or why would we listen to DA??? CCM is a moniker that has come to mean all that is cheezy and lame in music. I would advise you to buy a cd called "Sacred Cows" by DA's altar ego band, the Swirling Eddies, and maybe you will understand why we love C*rm*n so much here and all that type of stuff. Wink
I like Larry, Glen and all that stuff. C*rm*n, Amy and all of that type make me want to lose my lunch. Pleased Pleased Pleased

I don't know if he is ready for the Scared Cows Wink

07-02-2002 17:03 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

I think we should all pitch in and buy him a copy! Pleased

07-02-2002 17:04 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

quote:

he is not ready Shocked

07-02-2002 17:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joey T.

quote:

he is not ready Shocked

Yes he is!!! Click here!

07-02-2002 17:08 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joey T.

quote:

he is not ready Shocked

Yes he is!!! Click here!

that is too funny
okay SS there ya go Smile )

07-02-2002 17:27 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Scared of Sacred Cows Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You guys are too much. I read the debates on Sacred Cows and I'm not even certain I'm ready. Anyway, it's July 2nd which means I have already spent my July Christian music allotment. I have already looked at buying some of this stuff- but it'll have to wait until August. I have to control my compulsion!

07-02-2002 22:18 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Curious

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH