Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Curious » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Curious 11 Votes - Average Rating: 5.91
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by servantsteve
OK I'm sort-of ready Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Alright, I bid on ebay. I hope I don't regret this.....

07-02-2002 22:57 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

don't listen to those other chowderheads steve Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

when it comes to the skinny on TST (Terry Scott Taylor) here it is;

Mr. Buechner's Dream - DA

Gift Horse - Lost Dogs

Zoom Daddy - Swirling Eddies

Motorcycle -DA

Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor - ?

Outdoor Elvis - Swirling Eddies

Let's Spin - Swirling Eddies

Darn Floor, Big Bite (DFBB) - DA

Vox Humana - DA

and I oughta know! I work at a Christian bookstore-
Pleased

(I don't wanna scare any one but the new amy and smitty albums are actually pretty good....-NO!! I DIDN"T SAY THAT!!!)

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
07-03-2002 02:33 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Thanks, everyone! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks TM, sometimes it's hard to know which chowder head to listen to. Sounds like Mr B's dream is the hands-down favorite and I'll probably start there if I son't get out-bid on ebay. I'm happy to now be a dark. steamy cabbage. I can't wait to tell my friends and family of this honor.

07-03-2002 07:11 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
jc
Luteous Llama

HATE TO COMPARE Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Its like askin-
whats yer fave Beatles Album?
depends on if you like the london beat
experimental-
or psychadelia...
our beloved DA- is the same way..
from Straight Up Rock and roll to a country ballad..
to a gut wrenchin tear jerk (I mean knee jerk)
I do like the current list with MBD et all- tm pretty well nailed it.
go fer it!
JiMINy
07-03-2002 09:13 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

for the affectionatos.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Don't sell short
Kalhoun- its probably one of the 'prettiest' albums,
Flowing glowing guitars
PLUS- I am really getin into Bibleland- its been a bit underrated-
Till I recently read that the whole thing is recorded LIVE in the Studio, mostly on first takes!!!!!!.
See if you and your friends can turn on the mikes, plug things in, start the tape
And get anything CLOSE to the beauty of Broken Ladders, or blow the roof of the joint
Like Out in the Cold..or Burst your Bubble?
Everyones NOT wearin hats-cuz I took mine off for this one!!
JiMINy
07-03-2002 09:23 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Dw. Dunphy
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

ServantSteve - Opinion of CCM Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey there.

I've made this statement before. I'll probably make it again several times in the future too. Stay tuned!

Here it is: Inherently, there's nothing wrong with CCM. It's there. It exists. But it's just like the regular pop music that's out there in the so-called secular music industry. It relies so heavily on tricks and cliches that it's like you've heard one and then all of them. When we natter on about good vs. bad music on this site, many of us have listened to this stuff for decades and, because of that, have grown irritable with those chestnuts.

We like DA a lot because the sound of the music, while always contemporary, is never beholden to trends. And Terry Taylor doesn't talk down to his audience, not feeling the need to strap doilies onto unpleasant truths or to shy away from references his listeners may not get.

Conversely, a good chunk of CCM seems to dwell on bumper-sticker polemics and feel-good praiseology. Remember that even while we're called to be of cheer, it's a hard thing to do in a tough, money-driven world. So what deserves reporting, the cheer or the struggle?

Don't mind when we get edgy here. We ramble on about all kinds of topics and have different ways of expressing ourselves but, rest assured, most of us are good people! (tee-hee).

07-03-2002 10:27 Dw. Dunphy is offline Send an Email to Dw. Dunphy Search for Posts by Dw. Dunphy Add Dw. Dunphy to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's a big, big house.
Sorry, you walked into that one.
Like the folks on this board, I also get tired of some of the pop sounds in CCM. I take exception to character attacks on the artists. But, 'nuff said.
I got into this message board to explore Christian music that is fresh and invigorating and I have found a nice discussion of that. I look forward to my first Terry Taylor album.
I may have a Swirling Eddie album very soon from the link one of you casual rascals put on an earlier post. If not, I'm in a MBD readiness posture for my August consumption of Jesus music.
I do alot of very boring data analysis at work and keep the headphones on all day. As a result, I listen to a great deal of music over and over. Praise and worship music is good for that, but I need variety, too. I've found alot of outstanding music on the internet and I buy mass quantities. My prayer is that in seeking to feed my desire for tunes, I glorify God. we can't live in a vaccuum on planet earth.
But waht do I know? I'm just a dark, steaming cabbage. Big Grin

07-03-2002 10:44 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
jc
Luteous Llama

WELL Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

TRY BEING A MIND PEACH!
jImiNY
07-03-2002 11:31 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

peachy peachy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that's my goal in life Cool

07-03-2002 11:50 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Just in case you're wondering... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jc
Don't sell short
Kalhoun- its probably one of the 'prettiest' albums,
Flowing glowing guitars
PLUS- I am really getin into Bibleland- its been a bit underrated-
Till I recently read that the whole thing is recorded LIVE in the Studio, mostly on first takes!!!!!!.
See if you and your friends can turn on the mikes, plug things in, start the tape
And get anything CLOSE to the beauty of Broken Ladders, or blow the roof of the joint
Like Out in the Cold..or Burst your Bubble?
Everyones NOT wearin hats-cuz I took mine off for this one!!
JiMINy

Of course, live recording does not mean that they made it up on the spot. It doesn't even mean that they didn't practice the songs 1000 times. It just means that everyone was there in the studio at the same time playing and singing all of their parts - some of which would have been "overdubbed" on a regular album.

In the '60s they didn't have such technology so all recordings were "live" if that gives you any idea...

It is nonetheless amazing that they recorded most of the songs on the first try...

07-03-2002 13:53 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
jc
Luteous Llama

AS i SAID Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

GIT YER BUDDIES TOGETHER...
AND SEND ME A TAPE.
jImINY
07-03-2002 15:41 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
kevinf
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-30-2002

CCM etc. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have to jump in here. The disdain you see for CCM is probably a little exaggerated, but at least for my part, heartfelt. Here's why.

The division of the world into "secular" and "Christian" is a recent phenomenon. While we have been admonished to set our minds on things above, the just, the pure, the lovely things, etc., I do not believe that this necessitates segregating things like art, music, poetry into Christian and non-Christian categories anymore than it makes sense to try to classify chickens and cars as Christian and non-Christian. Granted, chickens and cars don't "say" things like art, music, poetry and movies, but bear with me. Art is good, or art is bad; it speaks truth, or it does not; it is beautiful, or it is ugly. It isn't "Christian" or "not-Christian." Only a person can be a Christian or not a Christian. At one time, CCM was an embattled voice trying to be heard above the din, trying to have its viewpoint taken seriously in the marketplace of ideas. Somewhere along the line, it became an excuse to feed dumbed-down drivel to the masses just like NSYNC does, just another segment of the market. Christendom, and particularly American Christendom does not need another excuse to stop thinking, stop working to understand, stop interacting with the very difficult, tough, dirty, filthy, different (or any other adjective) ideas that are flowing around out there. We do not need to be further encouraged to turn inward. We need to turn outward, and yes, sometimes people who are not Christian say and do very true, beautiful, right things. In the same way, sometimes people who are Christian do very untrue, ugly, wrong, insipid, boring things. And vice versa.
07-03-2002 16:56 kevinf is offline Send an Email to kevinf Search for Posts by kevinf Add kevinf to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

More of the SS story Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I didn't mean to imply that all secular music was bad and all Christian music is good. In the 1979-1982 timeframe, I destroyed all my secular LPs with the exception of Hamburger Concerto by Focus and all my classical stuff. By 1994 or so, I was buying secular CDs by the dozen. Now I pretty much keep to Christian stuff, but I'm not destroying the secular stuff again. I don't see the need and it creates a disconnect in reasoning when compared to movie watching or other things.
Now my mission is to find the ultimate Christian albums. I've got some that are fantastic and some that are so-so. I buy them voraciously- about 5-15 a month because I love 'em sooooo much.
One thing I've noticed about music in general is that popular music is popular for a reason and it's not just because the public is so stupid they don't know any better. When I was in high school, I hated soul, Mo-town and disco music. Now, I can really get into old soul music, especially the Temptations (nice Christian name, huh?) Disco, well I may never like that but the Village people are fun if you're in the mood for it.
Fringe groups are also fringe for a reason. Usually folks like me, with a twisted sense of humor, gravitate towards stuff off the beaten path. It's not always because it's good, it's because it's not boring and it gives a new, unexpected angle to everything. The problem with indie labels and fringe groups is that so many of them really are so bad no one should ever hear them. It's quite the paradox and it's the reason why I like to dabble in off track groups, then buy them like crazy when I find out that I like them. If I try the album you, the number 1 fans, like first, I can make an intellegent decision on whether TST and his bands are right for me. So far, the 30 second clips I've heard are splediforous. I look forward to more. Although I broke my rule and bid on the Swirling Eddies playing
Sacred Cows, an album no one has listed as on their top TST list.

07-03-2002 18:38 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jc
GIT YER BUDDIES TOGETHER...
AND SEND ME A TAPE.
jImINY

I'm working on it! Don't you have any patience?

Once we get our fourth member it will be a bit easier seeing how we don't have a bass player Wink

07-03-2002 22:02 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Disjasked Lerna

Thanks? Joey T and the rest of you mugs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just won the auction of Swirling Eddies' Sacred Cows. This is my first experience buying on an on-line auction. Since no one else bid, I got it for only 99c plus 1.80 postage and handling. I can see it has spoofs of a few songs I know from AA and D&K. I'll join in on the review when it arrives.
SS Cool

07-07-2002 20:16 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-20-2002
Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners. Stop your swearing and cussing and drinking and R movies and smoking and laughing and having fun and those stoopid smiley faces

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
I just won the auction of Swirling Eddies' Sacred Cows. This is my first experience buying on an on-line auction. Since no one else bid, I got it for only 99c plus 1.80 postage and handling. I can see it has spoofs of a few songs I know from AA and D&K. I'll join in on the review when it arrives.
SS Cool

Servant Steve - Flee quickly from this lions den of sin and deceit. They will be your friend for now, but just pass a few of them on the way to the top of the list and they will turn on you like a pack of hungry wolves.

Über Parrot at your service, called as a missionary to help these poor DAmb sinners find their way home.

Ü

07-08-2002 22:48 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Hi Steve Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

When I got to the message board, I was shocked to see some of the postings. I read ravings about The Who and Sienfeld; but insults for the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, Audio Adrenaline, dc Talk and Amy Grant. I like satire (ala Steve Taylor), but the stuff on this board seems to go too far. Taylor's satire is geared towards promoting Christian attitudes that are relevent- this board gets kind of nasty. This is not the kind of talk that is appropriate for believers.
What gives?

I waited until you had your foot in the door quite deeply, so I could SLAM it on you, and cut off your toe ring.......no, no, no.......sorry, I'd NEVER do that!

Hopefully, by now, you are seeing what loving, affectionate, wonderful human beans we really are! Yes, that's us.............believe it or not.

The thing is, a core group of us have known each other quite a while. In fact, we came here from the OLD DA board, some kicking and screaming, and we've formed friendships that are a little goofy. Most of what appears to be insulting is really just sarcastic banter.....we don't mean it.

When someone like you, dear Steve, comes around and says that "This is not the kind of talk that is appropriate for believers," we might take offense to that. Who are YOU to say such a thing, hmmm? My first reaction to your initial post was to say.......well, I won't say it, being the good, honorable, righteous Christian woman I am Smile

Stick around Steve. You might find you like us just fine.

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

07-09-2002 11:56 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Disjasked Lerna

When I got to your message board, I was pretty ticked at the stuff I was reading, especially about some of the Christian talent in the pop category. I've been reading and posting for a week and I realize now that you've just basically let your hair down a little because you are among friends.
Despite the sarcasm, I can see most of you have love in your hearts for carmanamygrantmichaelwsmith, although you may not like their music. I'm cool with that.
If you start to dis Russ Taff or Steve Camp, I might get upset again. But, as I keep reminding myself, "It's a big, big house".

07-09-2002 12:04 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Hey, DW :) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dw. Dunphy

Here it is: Inherently, there's nothing wrong with CCM. It's there. It exists. But it's just like the regular pop music that's out there in the so-called secular music industry. It relies so heavily on tricks and cliches that it's like you've heard one and then all of them. When we natter on about good vs. bad music on this site, many of us have listened to this stuff for decades and, because of that, have grown irritable with those chestnuts.

We like DA a lot because the sound of the music, while always contemporary, is never beholden to trends. And Terry Taylor doesn't talk down to his audience, not feeling the need to strap doilies onto unpleasant truths or to shy away from references his listeners may not get.

Conversely, a good chunk of CCM seems to dwell on bumper-sticker polemics and feel-good praiseology. Remember that even while we're called to be of cheer, it's a hard thing to do in a tough, money-driven world. So what deserves reporting, the cheer or the struggle?

Don't mind when we get edgy here. We ramble on about all kinds of topics and have different ways of expressing ourselves but, rest assured, most of us are good people! (tee-hee).

Wazzup, bud? Haven't seen ya around.

Oh, and STOP using them there big words. "polemics"? Wow. I'm impressed Smile

07-09-2002 14:22 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Oh, now, that\'s IT, young man!!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

One thing I've noticed about music in general is that popular music is popular for a reason and it's not just because the public is so stupid they don't know any better. When I was in high school, I hated soul, Mo-town and disco music. Now, I can really get into old soul music, especially the Temptations (nice Christian name, huh?) Disco, well I may never like that but the Village people are fun if you're in the mood for it.

NEVER diss disco, in my presence.

Hmmmph

Let's see, if you were avoiding disco and soul in high school, we must be "close" to the same age. Tell me, tell me, that there's another old soul here, and that I'm not the OLDEST timer here..........

Yeah, I probably am. A 1973 High School graduate. Heck, I was married when Disco was at its hey-day.

Rock on, Donna Summer!

(okay, Okay, I'm not TOTALLY lame. I didn't like all disco, just a select bit of it................ Smile )

07-09-2002 14:29 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Pages (7): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Curious

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH