Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Curious » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Curious 11 Votes - Average Rating: 5.91
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Nope. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve

Despite the sarcasm, I can see most of you have love in your hearts for carmanamygrantmichaelwsmith, although you may not like their music. I'm cool with that.
If you start to dis Russ Taff or Steve Camp, I might get upset again. But, as I keep reminding myself, "It's a big, big house".

Maybe Amy, in the early years, and a bit o'Smitty..........but Carman? Sorry.

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

07-09-2002 14:56 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Slamhound
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Thanks TM, sometimes it's hard to know which chowder head to listen to. Sounds like Mr B's dream is the hands-down favorite and I'll probably start there if I son't get out-bid on ebay. I'm happy to now be a dark. steamy cabbage. I can't wait to tell my friends and family of this honor.

I must speak up at this point. For me, Mr B's Dream wasn't enjoyable on the first listen throught. I thought that maybe it would be like Bibleland where at first listen, it sounded loud and harsh but I grew to love it. Mr. B's Dream is good but I'm surprised at how everyone is raving about it. Terry's done better stuff (most recently, Hats).

Maybe it's the way they've crammed the songs together with no real pause to let you digest it. Maybe it was my long expectation brought down to earth by the actual product. But Mr B's Dream didn't grab me.

Oh, and I'm no TST newbie. If Terry burped on a CD I would buy it (and I think I did. Neverhood? Sacred Cows?) so that my collection would be complete and I would not miss out on whatever new he came out with.

Slamhound (of Heaven)
(Just like the Hound of Heaven, only more violent)
07-12-2002 01:16 Slamhound is offline Send an Email to Slamhound Search for Posts by Slamhound Add Slamhound to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Slamhound
quote:
Thanks TM, sometimes it's hard to know which chowder head to listen to. Sounds like Mr B's dream is the hands-down favorite and I'll probably start there if I son't get out-bid on ebay. I'm happy to now be a dark. steamy cabbage. I can't wait to tell my friends and family of this honor.

I must speak up at this point. For me, Mr B's Dream wasn't enjoyable on the first listen throught. I thought that maybe it would be like Bibleland where at first listen, it sounded loud and harsh but I grew to love it. Mr. B's Dream is good but I'm surprised at how everyone is raving about it. Terry's done better stuff (most recently, Hats).

Maybe it's the way they've crammed the songs together with no real pause to let you digest it. Maybe it was my long expectation brought down to earth by the actual product. But Mr B's Dream didn't grab me.

Oh, and I'm no TST newbie. If Terry burped on a CD I would buy it (and I think I did. Neverhood? Sacred Cows?) so that my collection would be complete and I would not miss out on whatever new he came out with.

Slamhound (of Heaven)

I just bought it... which is why I'm talking about it.

07-14-2002 17:16 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:

Slamhound (of Heaven)

I agree. MBD didn't grab me at first (except for "The Author of the Story.") I had to listen to the album several times before I started to like it and then love it and then need it. I think the lack of pauses makes it difficult at first to listen to. Harder to process. But it makes it like mood music, I like "seemless albums" like the European release of BT's "Movement in Still Life" and several other albums I can't remember titles of now.

As for buying whatever from Terry, I'm right there with you. By and large, TST is very consistent and puts out great stuff (have you heard "Little, Big" yet?), but there are a few that get listened to rarely (e.g. Sacred Cows, Farm Beetles, etc.) But it is the novelty and I am a collector.

-- The Author of the Post
07-15-2002 08:58 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Slamhound
Normal Noggin

> (have you heard "Little, Big" yet?)

Well, again we've got this distance thing. I live in Australia and there's a huge slab of water between me and most of the good alternative Christian music (although bands like Beanbag and Elementay Penguin entertain me on this hemisphere of the planet). So while I've put in an order to my local CD guy (Mal at www.cmp.com.au) who gets in ANYTHING I ask for, I'll probably have to wait another 6 odd weeks before it makes it into my CD player.

I used to be involved with the DA Discussion List (DADL) and it was quite infuriating when new CDs came out and were all over the discussion while I had to sit there and drool. By the time I got the CD and could get excited about it everyone was bored with the topic. Frown

Slamhound (of Heaven)
07-16-2002 18:44 Slamhound is offline Send an Email to Slamhound Search for Posts by Slamhound Add Slamhound to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Vegemite Sandwich Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
> (have you heard "Little, Big" yet?)

Well, again we've got this distance thing. I live in Australia and there's a huge slab of water between me and most of the good alternative Christian music

So where abouts in the land of Oz are you hiding?
A howdy from your across the Tasman neighbour in Christchurch NZ here

quote:

So while I've put in an order to my local CD guy (Mal at www.cmp.com.au) who gets in ANYTHING I ask for, I'll probably have to wait another 6 odd weeks before it makes it into my CD player.

Mal is good. I have bought a number of times but mostly the second hand difficult to get stuff.

quote:

I used to be involved with the DA Discussion List (DADL) and it was quite infuriating when new CDs came out and were all over the discussion while I had to sit there and drool. By the time I got the CD and could get excited about it everyone was bored with the topic. Frown

Slamhound (of Heaven)

That is a pain for a while for some bizarro reason I was often getting the stuff from DA.com before others on the list! But now I'm two to three weeks behind when it gets here.
*sigh*
07-16-2002 18:53 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Slamhound
Normal Noggin

> So where abouts in the land of Oz are you hiding?
> A howdy from your across the Tasman neighbour in Christchurch NZ here

I'm from Geelong, about 70km south of Melbourne. Now we can sneak and scheme while the rest of the world sleeps. Yahahaha! Big Grin

> Mal is good. I have bought a number of times but mostly the second hand difficult to get stuff.

I met him when he first got out of his garage and into a shop. Was glad to find someone with similar tastes to me (although, he can't stand ska any more while I still do. The kids in the shop play it over and over and...). He knew of and admired TST/DA/SE and so knew what I was talking about. On the bad side, he knows how valuable some rare/alternative albums are and prices acordingly. At least he can get them. Most stores have no idea what I'm talking about. Frown

Slamhound (of Heaven)
07-17-2002 01:07 Slamhound is offline Send an Email to Slamhound Search for Posts by Slamhound Add Slamhound to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
> So where abouts in the land of Oz are you hiding?
> A howdy from your across the Tasman neighbour in Christchurch NZ here

I'm from Geelong, about 70km south of Melbourne. Now we can sneak and scheme while the rest of the world sleeps. Yahahaha! Big Grin

Bwahahahaha, ngahahaha oh ho ho ho ah haha *snort* *cough* *hack* *gasp*
quote:

He knew of and admired TST/DA/SE and so knew what I was talking about. On the bad side, he knows how valuable some rare/alternative albums are and prices acordingly. At least he can get them. Most stores have no idea what I'm talking about. Frown

Slamhound (of Heaven)

Tell me about it *sigh* he had DFBB once and it would have cost me $NZ135 ($US50) to buy
07-17-2002 22:21 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Slamhound
Normal Noggin

> Tell me about it *sigh* he had DFBB once and it would have cost me $NZ135 ($US50) to buy

Yeah, I think my brother pointed that one out to me. He dropped into the shop and saw it there for $95 or $99 AUD and was amazed. What amazes me is that it's no longer listed; someone DID pay that much for it. Shocked

And I thought that paying $50 for Adam Again's first album was steep!

Slamhound (of Heaven)
07-17-2002 23:19 Slamhound is offline Send an Email to Slamhound Search for Posts by Slamhound Add Slamhound to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jc
Don't sell short
PLUS- I am really getin into Bibleland- its been a bit underrated-
Till I recently read that the whole thing is recorded LIVE in the Studio, mostly on first takes!!!!!!.

Really? I guess I did hear that once.... but forgot about it. I really Like Bibleland... kind of a rocker Wink

I think Kalhoun is kind of a rocker too Smile )

07-18-2002 17:13 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Question RE: Curious Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I got to this website because I love contemporary Christian music and I've been seeing Daniel Amos on Larry Norman's website, Christiandiscs, and on The Choir boxed set.
When I got to the message board, I was shocked to see some of the postings. I read ravings about The Who and Sienfeld; but insults for the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, Audio Adrenaline, dc Talk and Amy Grant. I like satire (ala Steve Taylor), but the stuff on this board seems to go too far. Taylor's satire is geared towards promoting Christian attitudes that are relevent- this board gets kind of nasty. This is not the kind of talk that is appropriate for believers.
What gives?

i get to wondering??? Confused

Cool
02-22-2005 18:52 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

double .grey poop'on I have never read this crap beforeEvil

02-22-2005 20:28 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I forgot all about this. Thanks for finding the thread! Pleased

02-22-2005 20:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Curious Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I got to this website because I love contemporary Christian music and I've been seeing Daniel Amos on Larry Norman's website, Christiandiscs, and on The Choir boxed set.
When I got to the message board, I was shocked to see some of the postings. I read ravings about The Who and Sienfeld; but insults for the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, Audio Adrenaline, dc Talk and Amy Grant. I like satire (ala Steve Taylor), but the stuff on this board seems to go too far. Taylor's satire is geared towards promoting Christian attitudes that are relevent- this board gets kind of nasty. This is not the kind of talk that is appropriate for believers.
What gives?

Yeah, Steve, this message board is not really for you.

www.carman.org

^Have fun here! Cool

02-22-2005 21:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Yes. The Who and Sienfeld are the devil Red Face Go hang with the C-man Roll Eyes

02-23-2005 00:38 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Yes. The Who and Sienfeld are the devil Red Face Go hang with the C-man Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-23-2005 10:43 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

RE: Curious Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
What gives?

Yeah, Steve, this message board is not really for you.

www.carman.org

^Have fun here! Cool

come on now...

ss is a good guy and can voice his opinions just like anyone else.

he is nowhere near anything like a mugsy type so I have no problems with anything he posts.

'El
02-23-2005 13:19 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Thumb Up! Fear and Loathing on the DAmb Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah. What Ellie says.

Although I've always thought steve IS like a mugsy type. Without the Catholic stalker mentality and mega-baiting techniques, mind you, but there it is. Tongue

But passionately conservative to the point of DAmb abrasive, yeah, baby, yeah. Big Grin

(but heck, so am I.... just different.... Pleased )

Anyway, steve: In the words of Kris Kristofferson, don't let those liberal bastards git ya' down, honey. They're just jealous that they didn't Mountain Dew you off first. Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 02-23-2005 13:37.

02-23-2005 13:33 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by carl

Although I've always thought steve IS like a mugsy type. Without the Catholic stalker mentality, mind you, but there it is. Tongue

But passionately convervative to the point of DAmb abrasive, yeah, baby, yeah. Big Grin

ok I'll agree to a point...

but SS is not bipolar or tripolar or quadpolar or whatever multipolar mugsy is. Roll Eyes
02-23-2005 13:37 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Well, yeah. I thought I was clear about that. Red Face

Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
02-23-2005 13:41 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Pages (7): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Curious

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH