Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » whats DAs best CLOSING track? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page whats DAs best CLOSING track? 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Green Toupee
Hey, I got an idea for a thread! How about DA's best MIDDLE TRACK?

wheres that one Johnny Cash pic when you need it...

09-13-2004 15:38 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
quote:

http://www.rockindaddys.com/JCash.jpg

09-13-2004 16:17 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Big Grin

09-13-2004 16:24 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The Dig bubble bursts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sorry, to be honest (heretical?) Dig is not a good recording.

Dissonant, opaque, almost non-Christian.

09-13-2004 16:51 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Space Ghost
quote:
Originally posted by my momma Elle
[quote]Originally posted by Aqua Green Toupee
What's Dig?

adam again - dig

Simply one of the greatest albums ever made in the history of the universe...

Pleased

yep.... Cool

09-13-2004 16:59 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: The Dig bubble bursts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

Roll Eyes

09-14-2004 07:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

RE: The Dig bubble bursts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Those are three good reasons why I love it so much. Tongue

It's also brutally & beautifully human

SG

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

09-14-2004 22:26 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

quote:

The first two reasons definitely make it such a great album. What's your definition of Christian as related to art, though, that causes this to be almost non-Christian?
09-15-2004 08:18 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

HEY! Frown
09-15-2004 08:40 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
quote:
quote:

HEY! Frown

sorry...

09-15-2004 08:50 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Mad RE: The Dig bubble bursts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:

Roll Eyes

double Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Cool
09-16-2004 17:42 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Woolly Eggwhisk

Let me clarify. When I said "almost non-Christian", I meant the lyrics were so opaque at times it was difficult to discern clear spiritual values from the song.

I see it a lot with Adam Again, much more so that DA. You can lose your audience if they fail to grasp the deeper/spiritual meanings behind the songs. On the other side is a group like Petra who puts the scripture right there with an explanation. That's okay, but you can't really dig your roots down with a song like that.

Somewhere away from that and in the middle is better for me. With the exception of a few recordings, DA usually hits a nice equilibrium between transparency and opaqueness. The early was too transparent and DFBB a little too opaque for my liking.

[rant]A little ranting on DBFF:
I know a lot of you rave over it as the best DA recording ever, but I think there were tangible reasons why sales were so poor. As I see it, it boiled down to lyrical opaqueness and musical dissonance. In other words, it is hard to understand and difficult to enjoy musically. It took a long time for me to see things differently and really appreciate the spiritual depth and sheer poetry it is infused with.
[/rant]

09-17-2004 11:51 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
You can lose your audience if they fail to grasp the deeper/spiritual meanings behind the songs.

Then as Bob Dylan says, it's not your song! Tongue

Dig is a record that really speaks to me.

Also just because I don't understand all there is to know about a song that does not mean I cannot enjoy it. I love the song "Safety Net" but don't ask me to tell you what it's about. Same for a lot of Dylan's middle 60's tunes.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 09-17-2004 15:03.

09-17-2004 15:00 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

[rant]A little ranting on DBFF:
I know a lot of you rave over it as the best DA recording ever, but I think there were tangible reasons why sales were so poor. As I see it, it boiled down to lyrical opaqueness and musical dissonance. In other words, it is hard to understand and difficult to enjoy musically. It took a long time for me to see things differently and really appreciate the spiritual depth and sheer poetry it is infused with.
[/rant]

People were not brave enough to try it and give it a chance. It took me a long time to apperciate it as well. That was my problem, not Terry's or any one else in DA. I love DA and Adam Again because they make/made records that challange me.

09-17-2004 15:05 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
You can lose your audience if they fail to grasp the deeper/spiritual meanings behind the songs.

Then as Bob Dylan says, it's not your song! Tongue

Dig is a record that really speaks to me.

Also just because I don't understand all there is to know about a song that does not mean I cannot enjoy it. I love the song "Safety Net" but don't ask me to tell you what it's about. Same for a lot of Dylan's middle 60's tunes.

or in other words, you need to dig deeper.... Tongue

Adam Again - River on Fire....
words- Gene Eugene
cd- Dig Cool

What would you say if you knew what I was thinking?
Maybe you do but you know not to dig too deep
What if I knew what you needed for sure?
I've seen in your eyes you need more
Much more.

And I could be happy and you could be miserable
I'll grab a metaphor out of the air
The Cuyahoga river on fire

What can you say, the impossible happens.
What can you settle for, what can you live without?
I remember the night I first darkened your door
And I swore that I loved you
My heart was pure

You could be happy and I could be miserable

My open window, a dream in the dark
My fingers, your face
A spark, a trace

And I could be happy and you could be miserable
I know a lot about the history of Cleveland, Ohio
Disasters that have happened there
Like the Cuyahoga river on fire

Copyright 1992 Chenka Chenka Music ASCAP
B+ Chords http://members.tripod.com/~BPlusChords

10.01.2003 18:35

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Joey T.: 09-17-2004 16:27.

09-17-2004 16:26 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Woolly Eggwhisk

Safety net Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I believe 'Safety Net' is about security of salvation, with some Annie Dillard poetry inexplicably thrown in. That safety net is there to catch me when I hit rock bottom spiritually.

09-17-2004 18:11 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

To the top!

For me, it is SANCTUARY.
(Beautiful One is pretty high up there though).

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-25-2022 16:43 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

I wondered "How did I miss this thread" until I noticed the date on the next to last post.

Sanctuary is up there for me; it's really hard for me to choose.

AGT has something there with "Stone Away." It really opens the album up right at the end.
"Ghost of the Heart" and "Hollow Man (Reprise)" were favorites when I was younger.
"Soon" is the only DA song to make me cry the first time I heard it.

But I think for me, the answer may be "The Sun Shines on Everyone" (though in fairness it wasn't released when this thread was made). If one only considers albums made under the "Daniel Amos" moniker (DA, da included), it strikes me because the message of the song marks quite a journey from "Jesus is Jehovah to Me", not to mention "Skeptic's Song." It makes quite a capstone on what is likely the end of the road for DA proper.
04-25-2022 19:35 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I found this thread because yesterday's "birthdays" section had someone who was an actual member who posted stuff (his age was a giveaway) and that had been the last thread he posted on! Because it was an interesting topic that I had missed the first time around, I thought it might be worth resurrecting.

I like your thoughts there, Jimmy. "Dig here..." is such a strong album, and sits right up near the top of my DA faves (which still do change as I re-listen to them). Anyone else want to share their thoughts here?

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-26-2022 18:16 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Glad to know I'm not the only one who clicks on the names in the birthday list to find their last post! Big Grin
04-27-2022 19:40 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » whats DAs best CLOSING track?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH