Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » I wonder what the people in Florida did » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page I wonder what the people in Florida did
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think a lot of people read the book incorrectly as if
it is saying everything is meaningless. Which would make
it depressing.

It seems like the writer was looking for meaning in a lot
of different things and found that those things didn't have
meaning. He comes to the realization that if we put our focus
on the things of earth it is depressing because those things
are vain. But that is not where our focus should be, which
is encouraging once we come to that realization. Because
it means the evil/bad things that happen in life should not
depress us, we should have joy and give thanks in all things.
Because it is God in the end that will turn all things to good
for those that love him.

Ecclesiastes 1
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun;
and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness
and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
Ecclesiastes 2
1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth,
therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity.
11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought,
and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all
was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under
the sun.
17 Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought
under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and
vexation of spirit.
10 He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor
he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Ecclesiastes 6
9 Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the
desire: this is also vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecclesiastes 11
4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that
regardeth the clouds shall not reap.
6 In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold
not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper,
either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.
Ecclesiastes 12
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God,
and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every
secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Ecclesieastes 3
10 I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons
of men to be exercised in it.
11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he
hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find
out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

There is no 'trick' to life. We are required to "keep his
commandments" and sow regardless of the circumstances
and leave it up to God to allow us to reap the good things
in his time. He is the judge.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-14-2004 12:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've always thought of Solomon as the kind of guy who would have the bumper sticker on his donkey saying "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins" but we see him nearing the end of his life and it suddenly dawns on him that he is not winning anything. What good was it all? It was all meaningless.

The only Christian shirt that I ever liked said "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Still Dies" and it sure Mountain Dewed off a lot of the cool toughguy construction workers I used to work with.

09-14-2004 13:15 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Administrator

Ecclesiastes 11
4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that
regardeth the clouds shall not reap.

This one says a lot to me, if you are hung up on the
garbage that comes and goes with no meaning..
the random good/bad stuff of life that happens to all...
it distracts you from doing the work you are here to do.

Ecclesiastes 1
5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and
hasteth to his place where he arose.
6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about
unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind
returneth again according to his circuits.
7 All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full;
unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they
return again.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-14-2004 14:04 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Aqua Green Toupee

I don't believe Solomon actually wrote Ecclesiastes. It was quite common in the ancient world to write under a pseudonym -- especially in the name of a famous person.

Eccl. is sort of a "spoof" of Jewish wisdom literature, like Proverbs. Meaning it kind of gives the other side of the story. Proverbs kind of reads like if you have wisdom, you have it made. Someone said that reading Proverbs is like being on a long car trip with your mother. Eccl. explores the limits of Wisdom -- even Godly wisdom. Truly it has it's place, and is quite valuable. But ultimately it can not save us. Ultimately it cannot account for everything, or reduce the mystery of God. That's why the book ends the way it does -- sort of like its saying, in the end, all you have is God and God alone will have the final judgement. This is my opinion anyway. I'm still working on it.

And um, the hurricane stuff -- I was just trying to be funny. Roll Eyes
09-14-2004 16:58 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Administrator

"Eccl. is sort of a "spoof" of Jewish wisdom literature, like
Proverbs."

It is? Or your opinion it is?

Personally I think it fits nicely and says a lot of the same things
as Proverbs.

09-14-2004 17:26 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Spoof isn't exactly the right word. I just mean that it shows you the other side of the coin. If Proverbs was all we had, one might come to belive that if you live a virtuous life, work hard, and try to be wise, everything will pretty much go your way. Eccl. kind of says look, all that is well and good, but you-know-what happens. That's just the way life goes. There's a time for evrything under the sun -- a time for good stuff and a time for bad stuff. Whether you're wise or not. But yeah, you're right -- I didn't mean to say that it is anti-Proverbs or anything.
09-14-2004 19:10 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Never mind.
09-14-2004 19:19 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

my simple look Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

AGT-
I think I see your point- and I agree in principle-
Proverbs and Eccl are like "Points to Ponder", though I dont think they are too tongue in cheek
A comparison might be like Proverbs and Poor Richards MAxim
"Its hard for an empty sack to stand in the Corner"

and Eccl could be a t-shirt that reads
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-14-2004 20:19 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

RE: my simple look Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
AGT-
I think I see your point- and I agree in principle-
Proverbs and Eccl are like "Points to Ponder", though I dont think they are too tongue in cheek
A comparison might be like Proverbs and Poor Richards MAxim
"Its hard for an empty sack to stand in the Corner"

and Eccl could be a t-shirt that reads
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Heh, heh.
09-14-2004 21:22 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I hope that moderator guy(s) doesn't think I'm a heathen. I actually liked what he said about Eccl.
09-15-2004 08:42 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Green Toupee
I hope that moderator guy(s) doesn't think I'm a heathen. I actually liked what he said about Eccl.

I wouldn't worry about the a-bros...

it's the rest of us here that you should worry about Evil
09-15-2004 08:54 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Administrator

Nah we were just pushing a little to see what spills out.

09-15-2004 09:34 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Great minds think alike....

....well, apparently you and DorkBoy do anyway.... Roll Eyes Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 09-15-2004 09:38.

09-15-2004 09:37 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
sardonic toward them
not with them..

the answer- perhaps its the
"since your here in a place that I can ravage with my breath...ah, why not?"

I dunno - does that sound like God at his best sarcastic self?

that would be you're, not your.....

PollyWoggy, Grammar Queen Smile

I think it's because of all the snakes....................
human, and otherwise!

muahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

09-15-2004 12:19 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by carl
Great minds think alike....

....well, apparently you and DorkBoy do anyway.... Roll Eyes Tongue

the jury is still out with DorkBoy on this one Roll Eyes

I'll go out with the jury if they ask me Tongue
09-15-2004 12:52 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Will you give them a group rate, or will it be on a case-by-case basis? Tongue

09-15-2004 13:04 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Platyhelminth

well I ain’t gonna do it pro bono!
09-15-2004 13:14 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd've thought you WOULD do it "pro Bono." He's bigger than the 77s, you know. Tongue

09-15-2004 13:18 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Platyhelminth

damb island records!! Mad
09-15-2004 13:27 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

How come I'm not allowed to say "angry" but dorf can post a nekkid lady?
09-15-2004 18:40 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » I wonder what the people in Florida did

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH