Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Vox Robotica » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Vox Robotica
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme
I never thought of FS as "grandiose." I suppose it is ambitious & expansive, but in an interior sort of way. That is, the focus seems to move into the interior of the sould after three very "exterior" albums.

Arrgh. That doesn't make a bit of sense.

Actually it does make sense.

11-15-2004 16:11 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Vertitron Vertitron is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-30-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Vertitron
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What a great discussion! O where to jump in...

I am also disappointed in Terry's sentiments now towards Fearful Symmetry, and I also don't what he means by "'art rock' stylings'". But if you look at what makes Fearful Symmetry unique to DA's impressive and extensive discography, it is the only album that can be categorized relatively "mellow and electronic". I think that you find people who gravitate to this album, such as myself, are attracted to its nuances in sound and its beautiful and profound lyrics. On a spiritual level, it ministers to me just as much if not more than Mr. Buechner's Dream. "Shadow Catcher" to me is a pinnacle piece of music; I once tried to write an essay on it in college, but failed to find the words, and opted instead to write the essay on "Travelog". Fearful Symmetry is a masterpiece in contemporary Christian music.

As for The Alarma Chronicles in general sounding "dated", I agree. The greatness of 80's new wave ended up being its demise--new, fresh and exciting sounds became cheesy and stale. It is probably the reason I do not favor Vox Humana as much as I once did. However, FS sounds the least "dated" to me; the sound selections coupled with the album's message were effective in transcending time.

I think my top three are now these:

1. Fearful Symmetry
2. Mr. Buechner's Dream
3. Kalhoun

Someday I will have the courage to rank a top five!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Vertitron: 11-21-2004 12:10.

11-21-2004 12:09 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Great post Cool

11-21-2004 13:03 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

Thanks, dorfsmith.

I also want to point it that the synthetic sounds in Fearful Symmetry are far superior than the handful of songs with keyboards on Mr. Buechner's Dream. When they used keyboards on their last album, it sounded like they just used more "conventional" presets. I wonder what the rationale for that was. For example, in "Child on a Leash", did they desire real strings but had to settle for keyboards that sounded like strings? Likewise, it sounded like they used a brass preset in "The Staggering Gods".
11-21-2004 16:17 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Earth And All Stars Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Myron
Earth & all stars! Loud rushing planets!
Sing to the Lord a New Song!
Hail, wind & rain! Loud blowing snowstorms!
Sing to the Lord a New Song!

Don't forget the verse about the loud clanging test tubes, or what ever it is.

Myron (I too will praise Him with a new song)

Yeah, that's my favorite hymn! (In case you can't tell! Tongue )
When Patti and I become members at our church, that was one of the hymns we sang during the service.
My mom and step-dad came to that service.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-21-2004 22:53.

11-21-2004 22:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
I never thought of FS as "grandiose." I suppose it is ambitious & expansive, but in an interior sort of way. That is, the focus seems to move into the interior of the sould after three very "exterior" albums.

I agreePleased

11-21-2004 22:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Actually it does make sense.

Thanks, dorfsmith. I'm so used to blank stares in daily life that I forget there are people here who can understand what I'm talking about.
11-22-2004 08:30 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by Vertitron
I think that you find people who gravitate to this album, such as myself, are attracted to its nuances in sound and its beautiful and profound lyrics. On a spiritual level, it ministers to me just as much if not more than Mr. Buechner's Dream.

While I consider Mr. Buechner's Dream to be the better album, I reach for Fearful Symmetry if I want to contemplate the goodness of life in Christ. MBD, as I understand it so far, is more widespread in the subjects addressed, while FS is more concentrated in its concern.

quote:
As for The Alarma Chronicles in general sounding "dated", I agree. The greatness of 80's new wave ended up being its demise--new, fresh and exciting sounds became cheesy and stale.

The other thing that contributed to its demise, I believe, was the increased use of sampled sounds rather then programmed sounds. I know that programming synthesizers was time consuming; I certainly never was able to get the hang of it despite trying. I'm not an expert, of course, but the programmed sounds from the early '80s are still more interesting to my ears & brain that most of the synthesized sounds used today. Most of the best synthesizer work these days is used in music for the better computer games.
11-22-2004 08:40 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
The other thing that contributed to its demise, I believe, was the increased use of sampled sounds rather then programmed sounds. I know that programming synthesizers was time consuming; I certainly never was able to get the hang of it despite trying. I'm not an expert, of course, but the programmed sounds from the early '80s are still more interesting to my ears & brain that most of the synthesized sounds used today. Most of the best synthesizer work these days is used in music for the better computer games.

Hmmm... interesting take that I haven't thought about before! Definitely, most of today's electronic music is comprised from near-infinite volumes of sound banks. But you can imagine the inspiration that comes to the artist as he's perusing his sound catalog. So, in that sense, he's free to be more creative for he is not restricted by his programming skills. But they could also tweak the sounds to their liking.

But I'm one who is more interested in the final product than the means by which it was created. It either sounds cool or it doesn't. And if it doesn't have any good melodies or catches, it generally won't interest me.
11-22-2004 17:41 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Very interesting thoughts Cool

11-22-2004 17:48 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

What makes VH such a great album are the great songs on it! Pleased

11-22-2004 18:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Princess flower bottom Princess flower bottom is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

what a concept..... Roll Eyes

11-22-2004 19:12 Princess flower bottom is offline Send an Email to Princess flower bottom Search for Posts by Princess flower bottom Add Princess flower bottom to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Roll Eyes

I saw what you listen to! Tongue

11-22-2004 19:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Princess flower bottom Princess flower bottom is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

Red Face

11-22-2004 19:26 Princess flower bottom is offline Send an Email to Princess flower bottom Search for Posts by Princess flower bottom Add Princess flower bottom to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Maybe you should let the adults talk now! Roll Eyes

11-22-2004 19:37 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:

What makes VH an OK album are the lyrics, the music is not the best. Red Face Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
11-22-2004 22:05 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-23-2004 05:04.

11-23-2004 05:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:

What makes VH an OK album are the lyrics, the music is not the best. Red Face Tongue Big Grin

Do you mean the production? I would love to hear a "Hats" version of this record! Guitar-Bass-Drums Pleased

11-23-2004 05:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
[quote]Originally posted by dennis

The music is great, it has lots of great hooks and melodies.

11-23-2004 05:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by Vertitron
But I'm one who is more interested in the final product than the means by which it was created. It either sounds cool or it doesn't. And if it doesn't have any good melodies or catches, it generally won't interest me.

I love a good melody, but admit that I tend to be first oriented to rhythm; not necessarily fast or wierd rhythm, just the manner in which things occur in time. (It's one of the main problems everyone has had with any of the concert music I've written.)

I also like interesting sounds. After listening to an album of Tuvan throat music, I realized that any sound can be music if it's used in an artistic & expressive manner. I wouldn't object so much to the general pallid nature of synthesizer sounds these days if they were put to good use. The piece can concentrate on rhythm, melody, harmony, telling a story, creating an atmosphere, tickling your fancy, whatever, but if it's not done well & honestly, the sound bank or programming doesn't make up for that.
11-23-2004 08:05 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Vox Robotica

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH