Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? joey 12-16-2004 11:45
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? joey 07-07-2017 13:52
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? brother joel 07-07-2017 17:21
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? jiminy 12-16-2004 11:29
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? carl 12-16-2004 11:47
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? joey 12-16-2004 11:48
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? dorfsmith 12-16-2004 11:48
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Woggy 12-16-2004 13:01
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Captain Pedantic 12-16-2004 13:12
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? JR88 12-16-2004 14:41
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Berger Roy Al 12-16-2004 14:54
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? JR88 12-16-2004 15:05
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? dorfsmith 12-16-2004 15:03
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Berger Roy Al 12-16-2004 15:18
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? JR88 12-16-2004 15:39
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? dennis 12-16-2004 18:47
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? joey 12-16-2004 19:17
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Dr Rich 06-07-2005 20:34
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? dennis 12-16-2004 19:19
 RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? joey 12-16-2004 19:23
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
quote:
Originally posted by joey
believe it or not i played the tape of vox humana at a Christian book store when i was 15.....

Did they kick you out when you did that? Shocked

Tongue

nah.... they had the demo tapes on headphones..... Pleased

Cool
12-16-2004 11:45 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
believe it or not i played the tape of vox humana at a Christian book store when i was 15.....

yep..

Cool
07-07-2017 13:52 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was at Insight Christian Bookstore in Schenectady, NY (good place owned by good people). Every time I went there my brother would go through the metal music and I would pour through the arena rock stuff. I cannot recall now what I was planning on purchasing when I went, most likely an early 90's Petra or White Heart release. Whatever. . .
While there I always sorted through the bargain bin for anything that looked interesting. I came across a cassette copy of "Let's Spin." It intrigued me so I bought it without a listen. Upon getting into our car in downtown Schenectady, my mom asked if we wanted to play any of our new music. I immediately pulled out this mystery cassette, opened it up and popped the tape in. As it began, my mom heard the beginning of "Let's Spin" and become immediately concerned because she thought she heard a little girl screaming nearby. It took us about 5 seconds to realize it was on the tape. Honestly, I did not warm up to this cassette quickly, but I eventually fell in love.
My deep appreciation of Terry Taylor actually occurred in 1993 when I purchased a sampler tape called "WALpaper" which had "Hole in the World" on it. I immediately appreciated this song. I was ready for something creative that dug deep into my soul. After hearing it, I soon purchased "Motorcycle" on Cassette. At the time I was unaware that Terry Taylor and Camarillo Eddy were the same person. Once I discovered this, I started really enjoying the "Let's Spin" cassette I had previously purchased.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
07-07-2017 17:21 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Joey-
and why should I not beleive that?

Oh I get it..

you werent never really 15..right?

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
12-16-2004 11:29 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You mean the legendary Vox Robotica sessions???? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wink

Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
12-16-2004 11:47 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

yup... Big Grin

Cool
12-16-2004 11:48 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I have a copy of those Red Face

12-16-2004 11:48 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

My dear brother, JimIny Cricket, introduced me to TST about 3 years ago.................and the rest, as they say, is history Smile

I don't own a lot of music - but have bought a couple of CD's, and have "loaned" a few from Jim....................................there's still TST music I haven't heard! So much music, so little time!

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

12-16-2004 13:01 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I spotted this odd cassette on the shelf of a Christian bookstore in the southernmost city in New Zealand. It had this naked guy doing situps. Put it in the player in the store and was intregued. Bought it listened to the full thing and was amazed.

The next week I got DFBB and two months later Vox humana. This was in 1990 in the first few months after I was saved.

12-16-2004 13:12 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

my brother listened to DA therefore I have been brainwashed......LOL......my first DA CD ever was Fearful Symmetry......of course I bought all the earlier stuff too Big Grin

12-16-2004 14:41 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

--GKK!! (cough) Where am I?

Ok, I've told this before but since you keep asking, I'll keep telling. Years ago, I thought I was playing in Terry's band but made a mistake and (in actuality) ended up accidently playing for Brian Duncan for 26 years.

One night I went to see Terry's band play and when I realized that I wasn't onstage playing in his band, that's when I realized my mistake gk!

12-16-2004 14:54 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Berger Roy Al
--GKK!! (cough) Where am I?

Ok, I've told this before but since you keep asking, I'll keep telling. Years ago, I thought I was playing in Terry's band but made a mistake and (in actuality) ended up accidently playing for Brian Duncan for 26 years.

One night I went to see Terry's band play and when I realized that I wasn't onstage playing in his band, that's when I realized my mistake gk!

I loved Sweet Comfort Band........didn't Bryan Duncan play with them for awhile?

12-16-2004 15:05 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

LOL That is the funniest thing you've said yet Big Grin

12-16-2004 15:03 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

quote:
........didn't Bryan Duncan play with them for awhile?

No, actually that was Byron Duncan. Just like I said in my last post.

(Haha! Evidently, Driver8 isn't paying attention.)

12-16-2004 15:18 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Berger Roy Al
quote:
........didn't Bryan Duncan play with them for awhile?

No, actually that was Byron Duncan. Just like I said in my last post.

(Haha! Evidently, Driver8 isn't paying attention.)

LOL

Yeah my spotter called in sick so I'm Driving Blind out here Tongue

12-16-2004 15:39 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I read the review published in HRS and was intrigued. This did not sound like any Christian music I had ever heard of before. It seemed the guy who write the review was having a tough time coming to grips with the record. A few months later I bought a cassette copy of it at the local Christian bookstore in Brainerd. (I also bought the Petra release "On Fire." Shocked ) It took me some time to get used to DFBB. I got into the Swirling Eddies for some time before I found out they were more or less DA. I also bought Scatred Few's Sin Disease record (on tape) and saw it was produced by Terry and he even wrote some liner notes for it. I got FS and then Vox Humana and Shotgun Angel along with Alarama, DG and the solo terry stuff. Bought Kalhoun when it came out and motorcyle and then was not into DA for a few years. I bought John Wayne and VH (on CD) and DA's greatest hits deal, that got me back into DA again. Been posting on the message board for about four years.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 12-16-2004 18:48.

12-16-2004 18:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Been posting on the message board for about four years.

my goodness, has it been that long! Shocked
that's so weird.... i feel like i know you, and have only spoken by phone once, and never met in person....... i'm sure glad this board is here! Smile )

Cool
12-16-2004 19:17 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
I read the review published in HRS and was intrigued. This did not sound like any Christian music I had ever heard of before. It seemed the guy who write the review was having a tough time coming to grips with the record. A few months later I bought a cassette copy of it at the local Christian bookstore in Brainerd. (I also bought the Petra release "On Fire." Shocked ) It took me some time to get used to DFBB. I got into the Swirling Eddies for some time before I found out they were more or less DA. I also bought Scatred Few's Sin Disease record (on tape) and saw it was produced by Terry and he even wrote some liner notes for it. I got FS and then Vox Humana and Shotgun Angel along with Alarma, DG and the solo terry stuff. Bought Kalhoun when it came out and motorcyle and then was not into DA for a few years. I bought John Wayne and VH (on CD) and DA's greatest hits deal, that got me back into DA again. Been posting on the message board for about four years.

Daniel Amos
Darn Floor-Big Bite

Harvest Rock Syndicate Winter 1987/88
5 points out of 5
by Mark Eischer
Darn Floor, Big Bite is an exercise in discovery a moody, magnificent album which defies easy description. Each listening brings new insights, impressions building up like the coats of lacquer on a Japanese jewel-box. Maybe this shouldn't even be called a 'review.' A review is after the fact, past-tense a summation. I'll be frank-I'm still in the process of absorbing Da's newest record. Chalk it up to the weakness of language, I guess.
Greg Flesch continues to amaze as Da’s resident mad scientist of Guitar and Attendant Technology. His innovative, angular guitar effects complement Terry Taylor's provocative lyrics. Tim Chandlers dissonant bass lines crawl like big lizards through the underbrush of engineer Doug Doyle's mixes. Ed McTaggart again contributes excellent artwork and of course, Big Drums.
The album's basic idea is that all human attempts to describe God fall short and fail. A thought Which - has probably never creased the brow of Chris Christian, it is basically just another variation on the "now we see as through a glass darkly" theme.
Taylor adds a new twist by relating humanity's futile attempts at grasping the Divine to the story of Koko the Gorilla, a primate some scientists taught to 'sign" simple words. The gorilla's best attempt at describing the experience of an earthquake came out as 'darn' floor, big bite.' Terry Taylor apparently read that line in National Geographic, a little light went "Sproing!" ' and the rest is history, as the animal kingdom provides its richest literary alussion since Lassie, Come Home.
Calling the Koko experiment "sign language” is itself a faulty description, as I discovered when I tried to explain the album to a friend of mine who works as an interpreter for the deaf. She didn't really see much humor in it in fact, she was rather offended by the whole Koko idea, as though it were somehow a putdown of deaf people. So it goes.
"The Unattainable Earth" continues the communication-as-distortion theme, propelled along by some of the album's most memorable hooks and- a looping guitar riff reminiscent of the Beafles' Revolver period.
Da fanatics looking for their newest cult Classic need look no further than the opening track, "Return of the Beat Menace." Terry Taylor takes on the Baton Rouge Bomber with this account of a backwoods ayatollah gone hog-wild. The song is not so much about rock-bashing, though, as about clashing cultures and media manipulation. At the downlink end of the televangelist's satellite network sits an eskimo "He buys a suit and tie/re-styles his hair like girls in Tupelo/and sings 'Sweet Bye and Bye." It's too real to be funny.
In "Strange Animals," Taylor applies the theme to human relationships: "If I were to give you/an animal's name/Could I keep you locked/in a (age in my brain?" Taylor will probably win few friends among Biblical Inerrantists, thanks to the implications of this albums theme. Yet, for all its dissonance and angularity, its tribalistic Techno-Primitive rage, Darn Floor, Big Bite is ultimately a prayer for deeper understanding. The title song sums it up: "Illuminate my muddled/Sweep the shadows from my mind/so I might imagine what you are like/and understand the great design.”
"The Shape of Air" seems to quote the melody of Amy Grant's 'I Can Fly. " Whether the reference is intentional or not, it helps create a sense of innocence and wonder which concludes the record.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 06-07-2005 20:35.

06-07-2005 20:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Yeah, weird, eh?

It seems like at some point we will hook up and some kind of DA or Cornerstone thing.

Maybe I should just hop in the truck and start driving! Pleased

12-16-2004 19:19 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Maybe I should just hop in the truck and start driving! Pleased

start driving now and we can meet in l.a. for the d.a.s. goth Christmas on sunday! Pleased

Cool
12-16-2004 19:23 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Pages (5): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH