Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Motorcyle. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Motorcyle.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Motorcyle. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Have I ever spoke I word that may have hinted this album is sub-par?
I have?

That all I can say is I was wrong and I suck Crying

I played that one in the car twice today and each time I was blown away by how good it is. Maybe it's too good! ( Confused )

What can I say?

I was wrong.

It is a work of genius. Big Grin

07-22-2002 20:17 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Oh yeah Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Great thread, Doctor.

Motorcycle is one of my favorites for a number of reasons. It has some of the classic earlier DA sound with a modern flair. Overall IMO it's one of the most melodic recordings the boys have ever done. Very pleasing to the ears, and has some great songs that should have been hits by any secular standard. Yet it has its odd moments too. And that ain't a bad thing.

My absolute favorite Motorcycle tune is What's Come Over Me - very catchy, great message. But I also love the touches of weirdness on songs like Traps, Ensnares (electric sitar? what's up with that?)

I think Terry called it the dream pop recording they always wanted to do. Motorcycle is special in its own right (but I can probably say that about most TST recordings.)

Significantly for me, it's one of only a handful of TST works my wife really likes...

07-22-2002 21:20 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've always loved Motorcycle. Listen to it reminds me of the summer after my first time living in Barcelona. My family took me to Colorado and everyone was fighting over everything. I'd just gotte Motorcycle and spent most of the week with my headphones on just listening Daniel Amos.

I like the albums because it has a real "album" feel from beginning to end. This album should not be played on shuffle.

-- TAotP
07-23-2002 08:46 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I bought Motorcycle a couple months ago (I ordered it from Radrockers, and it arrived, interestingly enough, on the day before Easter). I liked it right from the start, but it took me a while to see just how brilliant it really was. Incredible album, one of DA's best. My vote for best song on it would be "Hole in the World" (although I could choose any of the first four tracks a favorite).
07-23-2002 09:53 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
I liked it right from the start, but it took me a while to see just how brilliant it really was.

I find that it does take several listens to find the brilliance of Daniel Amos' music. Sometimes I don't even care for an album much but then after several more listens I come to enjoy, and later love.

-- TAotP
07-23-2002 10:54 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-16-2002

RE Motorcycle Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yea I agree completely. I loved it from the start, but didn't fully comprehend it for quite some time. Very few artists have what it takes to make that dense of an album. It is truly 3D unlike most of pop music and even much of similar music. I love that almost every time I listen to it, a new layer unfolds for me. The only thing I can give it constructive criticism on is that the music is soooo good, that I have a hard time paying attention to the words. Not a complaint, but the music, ahhhhhhhhh the music.
I rate it in the TOP 5 DA along with Kalhoun, and DFBB, and VH, and MBD, and....well you get the picture.
Lucy
07-23-2002 12:39 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

RE Motorcycle Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yea I agree completely. I loved it from the start, but didn't fully comprehend it for quite some time. Very few artists have what it takes to make that dense of an album. It is truly 3D unlike most of pop music and even much of similar music. I love that almost every time I listen to it, a new layer unfolds for me. The only thing I can give it constructive criticism on is that the music is soooo good, that I have a hard time paying attention to the words. Not a complaint, but the music, ahhhhhhhhh the music.
I rate it in the TOP 5 DA along with Kalhoun, and DFBB, and VH, and MBD, and....well you get the picture.
Lucy
07-23-2002 12:39 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

How did I do that... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I haven't screwed up and double posted something in a while...
Oh and by the way Dr. Rich.......

You do suck! heh, heh, heh
Just yokin wit ya
Lucy/Jonny
07-23-2002 12:41 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

motorcycle....

the one that got me back into DA big time!! Big Grin

BD

07-23-2002 14:02 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by BD
motorcycle....

the one that got me back into DA big time!! Big Grin

BD

Got you back into DA? How could one fall out of DA?

-- taotp
07-23-2002 14:17 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by Lucy
Lucy/Jonny

So which is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

-- taotp
07-23-2002 14:17 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Yeah, Motorcycle is definitely in the upper echelon of DA/TST projects (although that's a pretty easy place to get into because in my humble fanboy opinion there is no lower in the the DA/TST catalog).

Motorcycle was also the first time I noticed a reference to Frederick Buechner. I was in seminary at the time and still unfamiliar with the man apart from vague name recognition (kinda makes you weep for our theological education systems, don't it?). Anyways, it did lead me to check into his stuff. I found a copy of "Wisful Thinking" in the library and happily realized that it was the source of many of the allusions made on the record ("Banquet at the World's End" and "Grace is the Smell of Rain" immediately spring to mind).

Personal favorite off the the album? That's hard, but thanks for asking. Probably "Guilty". For those times when I realize that I have REALLY goofed it...that's a great sountrack for prayer time.
07-23-2002 14:30 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

First CD I ever Bought Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Motorcycle was the first CD I'd ever purchased. I didn't even own a CD player but was able to listen to it on my college roommate's stereo. I agree that it is the best DA recording when taken as a whole album. It has great continuity in the music even though each of the songs stands out individually as well.
07-23-2002 15:15 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Pfiagra
Motorcycle was the first CD I'd ever purchased. I didn't even own a CD player but was able to listen to it on my college roommate's stereo. I agree that it is the best DA recording when taken as a whole album. It has great continuity in the music even though each of the songs stands out individually as well.

P.,
Ahh, the age old argument. It is a great recording, but as a whole DFBB and SFTH are better (wholistic).
LK-9

07-23-2002 15:58 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Dr Rich

I have been enjoying Song of the Heart quite a it Smile

I think with Motorcyle, I expected it to be just like "Kalhoun" and with DA, you really can't have any expectaions.

This was also the first time I really looked at the lyrics while playing it (I was waiting for a client to get off work, so I was stuck the van at a store parking lot for well over half an hour, with nothing better to do than follow along with the songs as they played Smile ) )

Mototcyle is an album I think you could play to most people and they would like it. Kinda like AF.

07-23-2002 18:00 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
I have been enjoying Song of the Heart quite a it Smile

I think with Motorcyle, I expected it to be just like "Kalhoun" and with DA, you really can't have any expectaions.

This was also the first time I really looked at the lyrics while playing it (I was waiting for a client to get off work, so I was stuck the van at a store parking lot for well over half an hour, with nothing better to do than follow along with the songs as they played Smile ) )

Mototcyle is an album I think you could play to most people and they would like it. Kinda like AF.

I would agree with you on this.

07-23-2002 18:06 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

AF Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey Dr-
You are right on that one, but I think that Motorcycle would be more accesible simply because AF country influences might turn off the kids these days, not me but some maybe.
Jonny
07-23-2002 18:18 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

MBD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

to add to that post, I also think that much of MBD would appeal to a large croud of folks as well.
Jonny
07-23-2002 18:19 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
Have I ever spoke I word that may have hinted this album is sub-par?
I have?

That all I can say is I was wrong and I suck Crying

I played that one in the car twice today and each time I was blown away by how good it is. Maybe it's too good! ( Confused )

What can I say?

I was wrong.

It is a work of genius. Big Grin

It is pretty darn good.

You mean you used to think it wasn't?

I like "Grace is the smell of rain", "Banquet at the world's end", "Hole in the world", "Motorcycle", and "Wise Acres." Dang, you're right, the whole album is good. Pleased

07-24-2002 00:44 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

-right... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
P.,
Ahh, the age old argument. It is a great recording, but as a whole DFBB and SFTH are better (wholistic).
LK-9

LK baby, please explain to me what I'm not getting about Songs for (of?) the Heart because I'm definitely NOT getting it!

Motorcycle rules!!!

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
07-24-2002 00:57 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Motorcyle.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH