Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture Vertitron 03-30-2002 10:11
 RE: CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture John Foxe 03-30-2002 18:16
 Profound Reflections Vertitron 03-31-2002 21:38
 RU THINKIN jc 04-01-2002 12:08
 and i fergot jc 04-01-2002 13:20
 RE: CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture Dr Rich 04-01-2002 16:54
 RE: CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture Vertitron 04-01-2002 19:13
 Now that Easter is over how about.... Joey T. 04-01-2002 19:18
 Castles Woven of Mist Vertitron 04-01-2002 22:18
 been thinkin' Kaf-N-8ed 04-02-2002 15:37
 AS IN.............. jc 04-02-2002 16:49
 Bible Persona? Vertitron 04-02-2002 22:11
 RE: CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture BigDork 04-02-2002 23:30
 The Staggering MP3 Gods Vertitron 04-03-2002 19:15
 Hey don't forget 05-08-2002 16:20
 Hey Vert! Mr. Spoke 05-08-2002 16:23
 Do You Know Why I Missed This One? Vertitron 05-08-2002 21:45
 Abnormal Eggnog Vertitron 05-08-2002 22:11
 RE: CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture Shemp 05-09-2002 08:37
 where's vertitron? 05-09-2002 18:30
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Vertitron Vertitron is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-30-2002

CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

One thing (out of many) that impressed me about Mr. Buechner's Dream is the number of songs that dwelled on Bible passages. I'm thinking of making a personal CD compilation of Terry Taylor's works that reflected on specific passages.

Here is the track listing so far (ordered by appearance in the English Bible):

1. Pretty Little Lies
  2. Steal Away
  3. Pregnant Pause
  4. Over Her Shoulder
  5. Catch That Angel (Remix)
  6. A Little Grace
  7. Traps, Ensnares*
  8. Joel
  9. The Twist
  10. You Lay Down
  11. My Beautiful Martyr
  12. Stone Away
  13. The Author of the Story
  14. The Whistler*
  15. He’s Gonna Do a Number on You*
  16. Mystery Babylon
  17. Posse in the Sky*
  18. Banquet at the World’s End
  19. Soon*

*Might be omitted due to time constraints.

I've already decided to omit songs from the Revelation rock opera, as well as "Walking on the Water". I've also excluded the Rapsures!

So, what do others here think? Any songs I overlooked? Songs I should leave out? Any other thoughts, such as song order?
03-30-2002 10:11 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A few more...

- Doppelganger: The Double (even so, come quickly come... Rev 22)

- Briefing for the Ascent: Changeless (no shadow of turning... James 1:17)

- Motorcycle: What's come over me (you live and move and have your being... Acts 17:2Cool

- Glimpses of Grace: With the Tired Eyes of Faith (Here's all creation groaning for the day... Romans 8:22)

- (Dogs) Gift Horse: Diamonds to Coal (you said a man might gain the world... Mark 8:36)

03-30-2002 18:16 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Unsullied Affiche

Thread Starter Thread Started by Vertitron
Profound Reflections Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hmmm.. certainly all songs to think about. Thanks.

Maybe I should change gears. Perhaps the compilation should be "Profound Reflections". That way I could keep a number of these "Bible" songs, and then add songs of profound Biblical themes like "Sanctuary", "The Pool", and "Shadow Catcher". But then it would be difficult to elect songs from Darn Floor--Big Bite! Making DA compilations are always the toughest! If only they didn't have so much good material... Big Grin
03-31-2002 21:38 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

RU THINKIN Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

songs that directly reflect a verse of scripture?
I think of "Evangeline"
for those who say I am of Paul, I am of Cephas- I am of Christ- or even when the SOns of thunder wanted to use it. You can't discredit anything or anyone too easily-
the old Baalams burro thing- God can use anyone.
and of course- sins of the Father speaks so loud of Timothys youth.
other songs from SOTH should be looked at-one would think
JiMIny
04-01-2002 12:08 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

and i fergot Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

10 gallon hat- isn't that a piece of
modern day armour?
Eph 6?
jiminy
04-01-2002 13:20 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vertitron
One thing (out of many) that impressed me about Mr. Buechner's Dream is the number of songs that dwelled on Bible passages. I'm thinking of making a personal CD compilation of Terry Taylor's works that reflected on specific passages.

Ya... but what about Jeusus Christ Superstar? Huh?
Ass-kickin' bible tunes there Smile

04-01-2002 16:54 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
Originally posted by jc
songs that directly reflect a verse of scripture?
I think of "Evangeline"
for those who say I am of Paul, I am of Cephas- I am of Christ- or even when the SOns of thunder wanted to use it. You can't discredit anything or anyone too easily-
the old Baalams burro thing- God can use anyone.
and of course- sins of the Father speaks so loud of Timothys youth.
other songs from SOTH should be looked at-one would think
JiMIny

Yes, all of this is so true! Definitely worth considering!
04-01-2002 19:13 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Now that Easter is over how about.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hide the Beer, the Pastors here

Attack of the Pulpit Masters

Pretend I'm Elvis

and the #1 most reflective TST song of all time...... Sprinklerhead!!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

04-01-2002 19:18 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Unsullied Affiche

Castles Woven of Mist Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm finding now that my compilation idea is transforming to selections of profound reflections, tentatively titled Castles Woven of Mist (from the "Earth Household" lyric). This will be a collection of Terry's most profound songs that have truly moved or challenged me. But I have to widdle my play list from thirty songs I selected just from the top of my head! Aarrghhh! Shocked
04-01-2002 22:18 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

been thinkin' Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been thinking about this one...

I think you'd have a formidable task ahead of you to try to pick out only TST songs that have scripture in them or only things that have impacted you spiritually.

I think it would be easier to pick out the one or two pieces that didn't.

Big Grin

~Coffee Man~

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

04-02-2002 15:37 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
jc
Luteous Llama

AS IN.............. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ARTHUR FARDYS YODELING PARTY-
OR PERHAPS MUSICAL FRUIT
(UNLESS YOU ARE FARTING IN THE SPIRIT)
jIminY
04-02-2002 16:49 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

Bible Persona? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kaf-N-8ed
I've been thinking about this one...

I think you'd have a formidable task ahead of you to try to pick out only TST songs that have scripture in them or only things that have impacted you spiritually.

I think it would be easier to pick out the one or two pieces that didn't.

Big Grin

~Coffee Man~

There must be strict criteria in order to pull it off...

The Reflections on Scripture compilation must clearly be centered around a passage or story. Or, perhaps the compilation should be comprised only of Bible persona:

Bible Characters
Pretty Little Lies [Serpent in Eden]
Steal Away [Noah]
Pregnant Pause [Abraham]
Over Her Shoulder [Lot]
Catch That Angel (Remix) [Jacob]
A Little Grace [Job]
Like Lazarus [Lazarus]
The Twist [Christ]
You Lay Down [Christ]
My Beautiful Martyr [Christ]
The Author of the Story [Christ]
I Will Return [Christ]
He’s Gonna Do a Number on You [Antichrist]

But of course, there are many songs of which Christ is the "Central Theme"...

Still, for the Castles Woven of Mist idea (songs of profound impact), I think it would be a matter of ranking the songs. I should be able to identify sixteen songs by DA that impacted me more than the others... Confused

This is why I stopped making DA compilations a long time ago!
04-02-2002 22:11 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Vertitron

This is why I stopped making DA compilations a long time ago!

LOL
yeah, I was glad to finally get an mp3 player that plays full size cds, so I wouldn't have that problem anymore. Or so I thought....... I still can't fit all TST related material on one disc, but at least I don't have to leave out as much now.Wink
BD

04-02-2002 23:30 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

The Staggering MP3 Gods Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

LOL
yeah, I was glad to finally get an mp3 player that plays full size cds, so I wouldn't have that problem anymore. Or so I thought....... I still can't fit all TST related material on one disc, but at least I don't have to leave out as much now.Wink
BD

Yeah, the technology spoils you! I don't have a player that plays mp3 CD's, but I have almost my entire CD collection encoded as mp3's on my computer at work! It is my own personal radio station--commercial and talk free!

But I still like to make compilations as a hobby. Most only exist as mp3 play lists!
04-03-2002 19:15 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Hey don't forget Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

(I looked quickly, hope I didn't miss it)

No Shadow of Turning
(Terry Taylor)

You do not sleep and forever keep
what you have begun
The songs have been played and the promise made
will not be undone

No shadow of a turning.
You're the same today as yesterday
No shadow of a turning
'cos love won't let you turn away

You see it all and not a sparrow falls
out beyond your hand
in the deep and dark I will rest my heart
in your perfect plan

Faith and hope will abide,
mercy will turn the tide
Alive in the One who has died,
love never failing

Until the end, every doubt weighs in
and it clouds your face
but you won't let go 'till I've come to know
your unchanging grace

--

James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
05-08-2002 16:20 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Mr. Spoke
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-20-2002

Hey Vert! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

-yer still a normal noggin?
05-08-2002 16:23 Mr. Spoke is offline Send an Email to Mr. Spoke Search for Posts by Mr. Spoke Add Mr. Spoke to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

Do You Know Why I Missed This One? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ™
(I looked quickly, hope I didn't miss it)

No Shadow of Turning
(Terry Taylor)

I missed this one because... I don't have Real Men Cry, yet. Wow! Terrific lyrics!

I know... shame on me for delaying the purchase. I only obtain a handful of CD's a year now. I could get all Terry Taylor stuff, or, for a change, get some new new-wave/synthpop albums! Yeah, baby!
05-08-2002 21:45 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Unsullied Affiche

Abnormal Eggnog Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spoke
-yer still a normal noggin?

I'm more like an Abnormal Eggnog. (That reminds me when I was a kid and I sneezed in a glass of eggnog. I sneezed in it right after my father reluctanctly gave me the last cup--I still felt compelled to drink it. I could never seem to look at eggnog the same way again...) Smile

Yep, I'm a Normal Noggin. Too much going on. I'm kind of the Townsends for a Christian group I am so incredibly excited about. I have mentioned them before here--they are called Declaration . I've been working on their website and have been racking my brains on how to promote them. So for any of you new-wavers who think you could get excited about a band who has the passion of Depeche Mode fused with the energy of Duran Duran (though sounding like neither), look for an announcement from me here--hopefully we will launch in a month or two.

I welcome any ideas to get Declaration publicized.
05-08-2002 22:11 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

Drivin' in England.

The Christians life....
05-09-2002 08:37
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

where's vertitron? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I stirred this pot hopin' we'd hear from ya lad!

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
05-09-2002 18:30 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » CD Compilation: Reflections on Scripture

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH