Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry Scott Taylor Christmas !?! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry Scott Taylor Christmas !?!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by jollyholiday
more expensive from the artist Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

When it comes to the BMGs and the Columbias, there is the issue of waiting involved. A disc needs to have been available in the market for some time before it is available through one of those groups, so going to an artist's site or a retailer and paying full or almost full price for it is like paying to hear the music right away. That may not be worth the money to some and to others it is. There are some movies that I like to see soon after they come out and there are some I don't mind waiting to see until they reach the buck theater.

Convenience is another issue. Time is money and checking several websites and or retailers for the best offer may in the long run cost more in time than it would in cash when it comes to a CD. If shopping around makes sense, then do it.

Lastly, I must say that the only reason I pre-purchased Mr. Buechner's Dream from the website, was not for the numbered copy or the autographs, etc... I paid a little extra because I've been a huge fan of Daniel Amos since 1982 and I want to encourage them to make more music available to fans like me by giving them my business. I actually received a free copy of MBD from my Diamante Music Group sales rep weeks before I received my pre-purchased copy from the DAWebstore, but I was happy to have supported the release in a very small way with my purchase. Perhaps we will be seeing more releases coming directly through artist websites like the upcoming T.Taylor releases. This prevents the material from being available through other avenues where middle-men are involved and returns the greatest possible margin to the artist. It's not a good model to use when you're trying to expand your market or fan base, but it is good when you are producing very fan specific items or are trying to return as much back to the artist as possible.

I think if price is what determines where you buy an item, (which is a very valid reason) then perhaps waiting a couple of months to hear a new release (pick the disc up used or through BMG), or shopping around for the best deal are indeed the best options out there. But those who choose to pay a little more and buy from the band shouldn't necessarily have to feel like they are wasting their money.

08-01-2002 15:47 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Here's the problem- Take Gift Horse by the Lost Doggies for example. If I buy it from the Lost dog site, it costs $15. Here are the prices at other sites-

Since all of these are legal ways to purchase this music, the artist should receive some sort of fee from the sale, although they may not profit on this particular transaction (used CDs).
You'd think with new CDs, the artist could get you the best deal because he's not feeding as many middlemen.

These other sites are usually making their money some other way... like with bulk orders or whatever. They can afford to lower their prices to nearly nothing. In most cases, the band gets next to nothing from these places, if anything at all. Iin the case of some of these stores that are selling CDs for $7 or something... they're usually buying the CDs from source other than the band or the original label/distributor. In those cases, the band gets nothing. Some distributors even find ways of distributing CDs to stores without paying the band anything...

(The exception of course would be brand new independent stuff - like Mr Buechners, Little Big, Imaginarium, WWC1, Spittle&Phelgm Dvd, WEWH... if those get distributed to stores - it's either by us or by Galaxy21).

Ordering from the DA site on the other hand - the money goes directly to the band, pays personal bills, pays shipping, pays manufacturing bills, and is used to produce new titles. These other stores only have to worry about the shipping.

the townsends

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-01-2002 16:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We want to help the band.

08-01-2002 16:35 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by jollyholiday
we want to help the band Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes we do.
08-01-2002 16:43 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

that is really the main reason to buy from the webstore as far as I can see.
To help the fellas out Big Grin

08-01-2002 17:13 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

I agree and also so we can get it first

Of course by first I'm assuming two things...

Cornerstone doesn't exist

The mail arrives.

Still waiting for my Paste Music Making God Smile (sent USPS on July 2nd - yes Paste know about it but can't track through USPS)
Also waiting for Little big

I just wanna know - Are my CD's any closer
I just wanna be - Hearing TST
I just wanna be - grooving to the music
I just wanna be - hungry for the tunes

08-01-2002 17:37 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:

I agree and also so we can get it first

Of course by first I'm assuming two things...

Cornerstone doesn't exist

The mail arrives.

I did notice at Lifest, they had some Lost Dogs really cheap. Lucy got a Lost Dogs greatest hits for free (he gave it to me as he already had it.)

I was guess Cornerstone is even more so Wink

08-01-2002 17:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Do you run and check the mailbox each day?

08-01-2002 18:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Do you run and check the mailbox each day?

I work five minutes form home so each lunch I check the mail box.

And on Saturdays I go out there 4 or 5 times until I know the post has bene by.

*sigh*

Maybe today - lunch is in 15 minutes so who knows...
08-01-2002 18:44 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Mark Mark is a male

That's great that you are so close to your mailbox that you can check it so easily and not have to wait until the evening to check it. Hopefully everything will come today.

08-01-2002 18:46 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
That's great that you are so close to your mailbox that you can check it so easily and not have to wait until the evening to check it. Hopefully everything will come today.

amen!

I'll let you know in a little over an hour...
08-01-2002 18:53 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Mark Mark is a male

OK. If they do arrive though, I'm sure you'll be busy & happy.

08-01-2002 18:56 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:

amen!

I'll let you know in a little over an hour...

Paste Music - makeing God smile.... No
DA.com Little big... No
Credit Card Statement showing charges of above... Yes

Frown
08-01-2002 20:07 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Yeah yeah Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We are about caught up, the delay now is the US Mail
which we've seen is pretty unstable.

And the webstores are not yet big enough that we could do
them full time, we have to have full time jobs as well.
They may never be that big, but 40+ hours of my week are
spent in a factory.. thinking about the stuff I gotta
get done when I get home. Smile

the townsends

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-02-2002 09:34 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
.. thinking about the stuff I gotta

the townsends

I know how that goes! lol

Big Grin

BD

08-02-2002 13:31 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
We are about caught up, the delay now is the US Mail
which we've seen is pretty unstable.

And the webstores are not yet big enough that we could do
them full time, we have to have full time jobs as well.
spent in a factory.. thinking about the stuff I gotta

the townsends

Thanks for your hard work too! Boeing by any chance?? Big Grin Remember, I lived in Florissant for 4 years.
LK-9

08-02-2002 15:09 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Sorry you haven't received them yet. Any day now.

08-02-2002 18:41 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
spent in a factory

that sounds like some tough work Crying

08-03-2002 12:47 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
quote:
spent in a factory

And they do everything to keep us fans happy too!

08-03-2002 12:48 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
quote:
quote:
spent in a factory

And they do everything to keep us fans happy too!

such good fellas Big Grin

08-03-2002 13:02 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry Scott Taylor Christmas !?!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH