Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » raised listening to DA... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page raised listening to DA...
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 raised listening to DA... morpheus 05-12-2005 20:33
 RE: raised listening to DA... Lur King 05-12-2005 21:30
 RE: raised listening to DA... jiminy 05-13-2005 12:08
 RE: raised listening to DA... Shadow-Master713 05-13-2005 15:09
 RE: raised listening to DA... jiminy 05-13-2005 15:50
 RE: raised listening to DA... audiori 05-13-2005 17:37
 RE: raised listening to DA... Dr Rich 05-14-2005 13:39
 RE: raised listening to DA... Audiori J 05-15-2005 02:17
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-14-2005 12:19
 RE: raised listening to DA... Dr Rich 05-14-2005 13:40
 RE: raised listening to DA... jiminy 05-14-2005 18:14
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-14-2005 18:23
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-15-2005 03:48
 RE: raised listening to DA... joey 05-16-2005 14:05
 RE: raised listening to DA... Dr Rich 05-16-2005 14:07
 RE: raised listening to DA... Audiori J 05-16-2005 14:17
 RE: raised listening to DA... Jerry Davison 05-17-2005 01:51
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-17-2005 02:01
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-17-2005 01:34
 RE: raised listening to DA... jiminy 05-17-2005 08:15
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
morpheus morpheus is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 05-12-2005

raised listening to DA... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

uh, this may seem to be a random post, but I just want to give a huge shoutout to DA and all of their fans. you guys are incredible. I've been listening to DA ever since I was a wee lil' one (specifically, Alarma! and Doppelganger), and I'm still hooked today. I recently got the Alarma bookset off of ebay, and I've had Mr. Buchener's Dream for quite some time... wow. this music is absolutely incredible.
also, if any of ya'll could visit my website, give me some feedback, etc... that'd be greatly appreciated. Right now I have an audience of about 9 people.
anyway. God bless! keep it going!
in Christ...
www.flamesofphoenix.com
(currently listening to: 'Songs of the Heart')

05-12-2005 20:33 morpheus is offline Send an Email to morpheus Homepage of morpheus Search for Posts by morpheus Add morpheus to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

Thumb Up! RE: raised listening to DA... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by morpheus
uh, this may seem to be a random post, but I just want to give a huge shoutout to DA and all of their fans. you guys are incredible.

hey thanks Pleased

05-12-2005 21:30 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

or incredibly nerdy..
but I like to think not.

Its just when you try to explain this wonderful fascination with a 25+ year old band whose marketplace is well, I dont know what it is, jist what it ISN'T.
-it makes us a special breed.
welcome to the herd.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-13-2005 12:08 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Shadow-Master713 Shadow-Master713 is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 01-31-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, that makes 2 of us that were raised on DA from a young age. I was a wee one myself when my parents would play Shotgun Angel, Doppelganger, Fearful Symmetry, Horrendous Disc & Alarma (Both of which were released the year I was born). I've been hooked and influenced musically since. Terry and the boys proved you can make good music without having to conform to the standards of radio.
05-13-2005 15:09 Shadow-Master713 is offline Send an Email to Shadow-Master713 Homepage of Shadow-Master713 Search for Posts by Shadow-Master713 Add Shadow-Master713 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Yer scarin me 713.

my Son turned me toward FS! .. not the other way around.

I was savvy to Shotgun and Horrendous Disc...
in the beginning..as they say

05-13-2005 15:50 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The DA fanbase, was at one time pretty large I think. From the
time we started working with them to now, there has been a
growing customer base thats now in the thousands. And we
still get emails occassionally from old fans who are still fans that
just now stumbled across the site. And there is a whole world of
new fans connected to the Neverhood/Tennapel projects.
But its almost like somewhere in the late 80s, the fanbase all got
scattered and lost and none of them knew where DA went. A
few were able to keep track, but some figure out where DA is
years later and have to get caught up.

The first Cornerstone we went to we talked to Dan Michaels
a while about ideas on how to advertise to get back some of that
fanbase. Where do you advertise to do it? Maybe they are not
all internet savy, what kind of magazines do they read? Radio?
I don't think they are lost fans forever, because when they find
the site they are happy to stumble across it. They didn't want to
lose track. We occassionally get a big order of like 10 CDs as these
people have to get caught up.

I really do wish we had more Alarma Booksets in stock, we've
discsussed doing a softcover edition when the funds are there.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-13-2005 17:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

That's so odd to me beacuse it was in the Late 80's that I discovered DA! Shocked

05-14-2005 13:39 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Originally posted by audiori

That's so odd to me beacuse it was in the Late 80's that I discovered DA! Shocked

My personal opinion is, there used to be a Christian Music market
that was built on the Daniel Amos'es, the Randy Stonehills, the
Mark Heards, the larry Normans, the Rez'es.. it was about the message.
It was about Jesus. There was a 'movement'. Then towards the late
80's Christian music became commercial, or started to. The old Jesus
music culture was left behind while the labels and media started
supporting the commercial favorites of the time. Whatever could be
marketed. I think when this happened, the original audience these
guys had fell away. They quit buying the magazines, stopped listening
to Jesus music radio, etc. Sure there is a new audience that buys
all the marketed new bands, but they have "No sense of History".
Somewhere there are people out there that are like us, don't like the
CCM radio... miss the music of the Jesus movement. They just don't
realize these bands are still around because the new market is
not interested in that, so they quit buying what the market was offering
years ago.

To me thats what Cornerstone always was, it was a family reunion
of that old movement. The original vision. It was one festival that
didn't buy into the market, and stayed true to the original culture.
Thats what it was to me.

05-15-2005 02:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I've said before that I was born in 1977 and came out listening to shotgun angel Tongue

05-14-2005 12:19 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I've said before that I was born in 1977 and came out listening to shotgun angel Tongue

Pleased

05-14-2005 13:40 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

jeepers - I came out listenin to "Houndog".........

05-14-2005 18:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin

05-14-2005 18:23 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I can agree with that Frown Crying

05-15-2005 03:48 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Sad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

me too.... Crying

Cool
05-16-2005 14:05 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

The music industry in general seems to run in cycles like that! Crying

05-16-2005 14:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Its very easy to see if you compare an old Christian Music
magazine from the 70s with one from the 90s. The content
has changed, beyond just the quality of printing. The grassroots
Jesus centered ideal from back then is lost in the flashy
commercial advertisement filled media of today.

05-16-2005 14:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

I certainly agree with your statement earlier that CCM fans today have no sense of history. But I think it goes deeper. I think the industry as a whole has no sense of it either. Even back in the late 70's/early 80's when I started listening, once a new album came out from an artist, they just seemed to forget that that artist had ever done anything else before that. It was weird.

I'm not so sure I follow you about an ideal lost in flashy advertising. Let's not forget that the vast majority of Christian art in those early days -- music, books, films, TV and magazines -- was embarrassingly bad in comparison to its secular counterparts. I for one welcome some sense of professionalism and excellence, however it can go too far in that direction, too. While the grass roots vibe is cool in a counter-culture sort of way, it can sometimes come across as amatuerish and just plain bad. Blessed are the balanced, as the saying goes.

On the other hand, I've never been completely comfortable with the place marketing and advertising have in the church. Advertising is fundamentally about manipulating people into being discontent, right? It's kind of a strange bedfellows deal, if ya take my meanin'. Smile )

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jerry Davison: 05-17-2005 01:53.

05-17-2005 01:51 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Davison
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

I certainly agree with your statement earlier that CCM fans today have no sense of history. But I think it goes deeper. I think the industry as a whole has no sense of it either. Even back in the late 70's/early 80's when I started listening, once a new album came out from an artist, they just seemed to forget that that artist had ever done anything else before that. It was weird.

I'm not so sure I follow you about an ideal lost in flashy advertising. Let's not forget that the vast majority of Christian art in those early days -- music, books, films, TV and magazines -- was embarrassingly bad in comparison to its secular counterparts. I for one welcome some sense of professionalism and excellence, however it can go too far in that direction, too. While the grass roots vibe is cool in a counter-culture sort of way, it can sometimes come across as amatuerish and just plain bad. Blessed are the balanced, as the saying goes.

On the other hand, I've never been completely comfortable with the place marketing and advertising have in the church. Advertising is fundamentally about manipulating people into being discontent, right? It's kind of a strange bedfellows deal, if ya take my meanin'. Smile )

Ahh, great post. I think what audiori was trying to say is that back in the day the magazines tried to show that there was a message to the music. It wasn't about looks (although the DA boys were pretty sexy in the 70's Big Grin ) but now it is all about the next Christian Brittney Spears or other secular wannabe.

I have my own beliefs about how marketing and advertising have no place in the church and how I am sickened by the Christian industry machine that sells Christ but I will save that for another day Big Grin

05-17-2005 02:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Yeah I know. It's sad like that. Frown

05-17-2005 01:34 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

now I am going to counter with an observation..

If you have Cornerstone 84, (and the Anaheim Show) take a minute to look at the differences between the bands- and the audience. It is AMAZING!
The audience looks well, pretty much like Napolean Dynamite.

there are no pierced ears, no intentional hairdos (which we STILL dig, Dr Love) and no rather cool clothing (like a purple and black silky shirt) in the audience..that you can see.

What does this mean?- well ,I'm not sure, cept I recall looking more like the audience then too (after all , I was a churchie)

the early CCM bands represented (IMHO) " Hey- look at these tremendously cool people - they love Jesus just like me"

I think there is now perhaps less distinction between band and audience..and thats good, but I wonder what kids think as they watch?
I only know how I felt.

anyone else hava a thought on that??

05-17-2005 08:15 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » raised listening to DA...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH