Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » raised listening to DA... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page raised listening to DA...
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 11:50
 RE: raised listening to DA... nomadmike 05-19-2005 11:51
 RE: raised listening to DA... nomadmike 05-19-2005 11:55
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 12:04
 RE: raised listening to DA... Dr Rich 05-19-2005 12:05
 RE: raised listening to DA... mike 05-19-2005 12:05
 RE: raised listening to DA... Dr Rich 05-19-2005 12:06
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 12:12
 RE: raised listening to DA... nomadmike 05-19-2005 12:11
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 12:15
 RE: raised listening to DA... Woggy 05-20-2005 11:51
 RE: raised listening to DA... nomadmike 05-19-2005 12:22
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 12:28
 RE: raised listening to DA... nomadmike 05-19-2005 12:36
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 12:42
 RE: raised listening to DA... nomadmike 05-19-2005 14:10
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 14:51
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 14:56
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 14:57
 RE: raised listening to DA... dorfsmith 05-19-2005 15:14
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by nomadmike
[quote]

Dorf Christians do go through crap too but if we sing about it we try to resolve it by the end of the song by having Jesus come out of the clouds and make it better. Smile We have a problem with admitting we have doubts and fears and I think that keeps us seperate from others.

My point exactly Smile )

05-19-2005 11:50 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
nomadmike
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 05-17-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike, Why would being on a major label make them more acceptable? By that logic both Relient K and Switchfoot should also get a free pass for being played. I don't buy into the entire major label argument at all.

Do you think the owner of the local nudie bar cares if a station he advertises on plays Youth of the Nation or Dare You to Move? There's more to life than just the "message", and most of it is common ground with our unwashed friends. I played bars where we played originals but also covers by secular bands. The bar owners didn't care we played a song titled, The Road to Life. It didn't hurt his beer sales or have people run out of the place.
Also why follow the trend of most Christian music? If everybody else is already covering a subject write about something else. No matter what we may think Christians have most of the same issues as those who go to Thong Thursdays. We work deadend jobs, get dumped by girlfriends and worry about the world just like anybody else. Smile
05-19-2005 11:51 nomadmike is offline Send an Email to nomadmike Search for Posts by nomadmike Add nomadmike to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of nomadmike: nomadmike
nomadmike
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
Well, I believe that what Mike is saying about Rage is that they say they are against the machine but they are part of it. It's the same paradox as when Curt Cobain ended up on the cover of Rolling Stone...a magazine he put down for being too commercial.

But that's the nature of the music industry. Todays rebel is tomorrows headliner in Vegas. If we can accept that we can work with the industry without compromising ourselves.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by nomadmike: 05-19-2005 11:57.

05-19-2005 11:55 nomadmike is offline Send an Email to nomadmike Search for Posts by nomadmike Add nomadmike to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of nomadmike: nomadmike
Grand Encephalon

quote:
quote:
Well, I believe that what Mike is saying about Rage is that they say they are against the machine but they are part of it. It's the same paradox as when Curt Cobain ended up on the cover of Rolling Stone...a magazine he put down for being too commercial.

But that's the nature of the music industry. Todays rebel is tomorrows headliner in Vegas. If we can accept that we can work with the industry without compromising ourselves.

Sure and a lot of people can accept that. I just happen to be anti industry because I see it as anti art. The starving artists are the ones on the forefront of true art. The big time guys are being told what to make and how to make it so it will sell. A commercial product will rarely break the mold unless the industry has a plan for it to.

05-19-2005 12:04 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
quote:

I see your point, but if you make art, you should get it out to "the people."
Don't make something and then hide it in a closet.

It's part of the challange of every artist, to be true to their vision.

05-19-2005 12:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
mike mike is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-15-2004

I have to go job #2, so you can take cheap shots at me until I
can get home and can respond.

Wink

m

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mike: 05-19-2005 12:05.

05-19-2005 12:05 mike is offline Send an Email to mike Homepage of mike Search for Posts by mike Add mike to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by mike

Wink

m

Two jobs??? What a sellout! Mad

Tongue Wink Have a good day.

I gotta get going too! Cool

05-19-2005 12:06 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by mike

Wink

m

Hey everybody, lets take cheap shots at mike Smile )

05-19-2005 12:12 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
nomadmike
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
The starving artists are the ones on the forefront of true art.
Or they can just be incredibly stubborn hacks. Big Grin

I never looked at what I did as art, and I doubt anybody else would mistake what I did for it either. Big Grin I did eventually look at what I did as craft and I did come to look at myself as an entertainer. The message don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.
05-19-2005 12:11 nomadmike is offline Send an Email to nomadmike Search for Posts by nomadmike Add nomadmike to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of nomadmike: nomadmike
Grand Encephalon

quote:
quote:

I never looked at what I did as art, and I doubt anybody else would mistake what I did for it either. Big Grin I did eventually look at what I did as craft and I did come to look at myself as an entertainer. The message don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

This sheds a whole different light on things. You never called yourself a Christian recording artist? Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dorfsmith: 05-19-2005 12:15.

05-19-2005 12:15 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
quote:

You're a cool dude, nomad.........

..............am enjoying your posts very much Smile

(from a NEWBIE DA fan! I never KNEW this music existed until about 3 yrs ago, when my brother introduced it to me......he posts here, too, under JimIny Smile Smile )
Which just goes to show you that, even when the music was popular, MANY of us never heard it...........................I became a Christian in the early 80's, but went right to CCM without knowing that there was anything else out there..........which is too bad.

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

05-20-2005 11:51 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
nomadmike
Unsullied Affiche

Never released a recording. That should tell you a lot. Crying Big Grin I was just the guitar player.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by nomadmike: 05-19-2005 12:22.

05-19-2005 12:22 nomadmike is offline Send an Email to nomadmike Search for Posts by nomadmike Add nomadmike to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of nomadmike: nomadmike
Grand Encephalon

Well, yes but would you have called yourself a recording artist Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

05-19-2005 12:28 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
nomadmike
Unsullied Affiche

Now cut that out! Mad Big Grin Big Grin
05-19-2005 12:36 nomadmike is offline Send an Email to nomadmike Search for Posts by nomadmike Add nomadmike to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of nomadmike: nomadmike
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin See I would consider popular music art just really really bad art. And extremely unoriginal art. When you have 75-year-old guys sitting back looking at market analysis to tell them what a 13-year-old will think is cool then you know it can't be good for art Big Grin

05-19-2005 12:42 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
nomadmike
Unsullied Affiche

Anything a 13 year old thinks is cool is bad for art! Big Grin

Trying to make most music into art is taking it more seriously than it really is and can lead to Diva Disease. To me art is something you do for yourself, performing is something you do for others. If nobody likes my art that's OK, but if someone lays down some money to see me then I better give them some bang for their buck so they do like me and come back for more.

If I had all of this insight straight 20 years ago I might have made it. Big Grin
05-19-2005 14:10 nomadmike is offline Send an Email to nomadmike Search for Posts by nomadmike Add nomadmike to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of nomadmike: nomadmike
Grand Encephalon

See, to me art is a form of self expression. The very act of art is to express ourselves in creative and fresh ways to others. You have me curious though. I will check and see what Websters has to say about art Big Grin

05-19-2005 14:51 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Well, Dictionary.com says:

Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
The study of these activities.
The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).

05-19-2005 14:56 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

If you are interested I would be curious to explore this more and start a thread in the off topic section Tongue If you would like to join me it will be called "What Is Art" Tongue

05-19-2005 14:57 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
If you are interested I would be curious to explore this more and start a thread in the off topic section Tongue If you would like to join me it will be called "What Is Art" Tongue

Send this to the next page for those interested Big Grin

05-19-2005 15:14 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » raised listening to DA...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH