Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Wikipedia » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Wikipedia
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Wikipedia PuP 08-13-2005 22:54
 RE: Wikipedia dorfsmith 08-14-2005 00:38
 RE: Wikipedia Jerry Davison 08-14-2005 01:39
 RE: Wikipedia dorfsmith 08-14-2005 01:50
 RE: Wikipedia Squidzit 06-21-2006 22:41
 RE: Wikipedia bereal 06-22-2006 20:10
 RE: Wikipedia Audiori J 08-14-2005 02:46
 RE: Wikipedia ftg3plus4 06-22-2006 11:06
 RE: Wikipedia bereal 08-14-2005 21:07
 RE: Wikipedia audiori 08-15-2005 02:30
 RE: Wikipedia PuP 06-16-2006 22:26

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Wikipedia Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If you haven't checked out the Wikipedia yet, you should know that it is an online encyclopedia that anyone can edit. So if you know something about a subject that isn't in the Wikipedia, you can add it. If you know something about a subject already in the Wikipedia, you can make changes to the existing entry or add new stuff to it.

That greatly simplifies the Wikipedia but leads to my point. The Daniel Amos entry seems insufficient for such an influential and important band. (Compare to The Beatles for example.) Some of you Danielphiles could surely fix that problem, could you not?

08-13-2005 22:54 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pleased

08-14-2005 00:38 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool site! I never saw it before. I spenta little time fixing some mistakes on the Jacob's Trouble page! Big Grin
08-14-2005 01:39 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Cool, there is still nothing there for dorfsmith Roll Eyes Crying Big Grin

08-14-2005 01:50 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

You have to look under the keyword "Odd". Red Face

Tongue Wink

~Groucho~
06-21-2006 22:41 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit
quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

You have to look under the keyword "Odd". Red Face

Tongue Wink

Shocked

Big Grin Tongue

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
06-22-2006 20:10 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah we used to go there and do some posting, one major frustration is that you can put something in and someone else can come along and change it if they think its not true....and back and forth. Its a good idea as a whole...and for things like bands its great. But for any religious or controversial subject there will be an endless back and forth of the changing of definitions.

For a subject like the Lost Dogs or 77s or DA...it would be very cool to make it as in depth as possible.

08-14-2005 02:46 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
for any religious or controversial subject there will be an endless back and forth of the changing of definitions.

Yeah, I ran into that. I saw an article with a strong anti-Biblical slant (yet carefully written to sound "unbiased") and attempted to make a few subtle changes so it would be more fairly balanced. It reverted back to its original form so fast I'd swear it happened automatically.

But I have had fun adding details and correcting errors in articles about bands I like (not the obvious ones other DAMBers would edit).

06-22-2006 11:06 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

I've been over there and am in the process of making a few changes myself. Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
08-14-2005 21:07 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

It can be pretty fun. Especially if you stick to weird topics that most of those folks know nothing about - like DA, the Choir, 77s, etc...

They used to have (maybe they still do) a "Most wanted articles" page.. it was created by the server itself based on the number of links that a non-existant article received. So if 150 articles linked to an "Andy Griffith" article that didn't exist, it would move up the "most wanted" list.

So, for a while, I was randomly picking topics out of that list and challenging myself to write an article about whatever it was... an old actor or some weird invention or whatever. The general rule is "NPOV" which means (no point of view).. so you can't say "This invention is really exciting" or "This is the best invention ever." You have to write it based on facts alone, and you can't fill it with opinion (unless it was quoted from another person - but even then, you were supposed to use it sparingly - usually under the heading of "popular opinion of.." or something like that). It was sometimes fun to write a fair, respectful article about a person that you may not even like...

What got annoying was this... say you spent a few days working on an article about Andy Griffith (not one I actually wrote... just as example).... you might do a little research on his life... talk about his parents, where he was born... early jobs.. how he got into TV.. the start of the Andy Griffith Show.. etc... Then you might talk about the popularity of the show - what kind of ratings or awards it received, etc.

THen, like clockwork, what would happen was.. some guy (or a few people) - usually from another country - would stumble upon the article... by some weird twist of fate, they would have an unreasonable hatred of Andy Griffith. So they would be on a mission from that point on to destroy your article. One of them might just try deleting all of the text you added... then the next guy might find some weird website that claims Andy was in the KKK or something and post that in the article. You remove it and try to explain that the source is questionable at best and they try to have an edit war with you and insist that it's a good source. Since technically - they have just as much right to write in the article as you do - there's really very little that can be done to stop it unless you can reason with them (fat chance).

Then, they'll start digging up any negative comment about Andy Griffith they can find... and they'll add it as quotes.. "Larry King said..." or "Naomi Judd said..." NO matter how unnecessary they are to a person's bio, they fight to keep them there arguing that they're important to the historical view of the person. Pretty soon, the article that you were just trying to have some fun with has turned into a weird Andy Griffith smear website. After a while... that stuff made me less enthusiastic about writing anything there.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-15-2005 02:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Thread Starter Thread Started by PuP

I just got around to looking at the DA article again. You guys have done a nice job with it. Looks like the idiots have stopped fighting your changes.

06-16-2006 22:26 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Wikipedia

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH