Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Loose Ends » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Loose Ends
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Glass Harp website has a bunch of free downloads just to help people hear the band, mostly live stuff and demos.

02-20-2006 16:19 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We definitely want to bring back samples... we used to have like 3 or 4 song samples from every album so that people could hear what they sound like. At the time, we had a smaller server and had to remove them for space - but now, we have a much larger server and we're only using like a third of the space.

We've been thinking about either having certain songs available for download or maybe just a streaming audio player that plays a dozen different songs or something..

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-20-2006 16:33 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We definitely want to bring back samples... we used to have like 3 or 4 song samples from every album so that people could hear what they sound like. At the time, we had a smaller server and had to remove them for space - but now, we have a much larger server and we're only using like a third of the space.

We've been thinking about either having certain songs available for download or maybe just a streaming audio player that plays a dozen different songs or something..

why isn't Da on myspace? Confused

terry, the lost dogs, adam again, the choir, and now mike roe and the 77's are...... Red Face

Cool
02-20-2006 17:14 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by audiori

why isn't Da on myspace? Confused

terry, the lost dogs, adam again, the choir, and now mike roe and the 77's are...... Red Face

Not sure. I guess Terry just wanted to lump all of his stuff together - band stuff, Neverhood stuff and solo stuff. We'll ask him if he wants a DA page set up.. couldn't hurt I guess.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-20-2006 17:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I think it's needless to say that if Terry puts out a Cd I'll buy it.....

02-20-2006 18:43 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
samson samson is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

for me i like to have a CDR and for 5$ who could ask for more

hey what about a Eddies verion of abidin and skeptic's soung do them disco like love grapes
02-20-2006 23:19 samson is offline Send an Email to samson Search for Posts by samson Add samson to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Big Grin Reissues and such Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm sure it is frustrating. And what you said was exactly my point. Having some experience in the Christian music industry, I know how some of this stuff goes down. Like I said, I have no problem with everyone recouping their investment, making money, etc. But if a company allows a reissue by a label like Lo-Fidelity with certain constraints (pressing number, artwork or whatever) that is a better situation than just leaving the recordings in the vault. Would "Ten Songs" ever have seen a reissue if Lo-Fidelity had not taken the initiative? I would love to see a Christian music market where reissues of our beloved bands sell well - but, I don't think that will ever happen. I know what you're saying, and I know that's how it is, but Christian music industry thinking never did make much sense to me, even when I was semi-involved in it. We tend to allow bad behavior because it's business and not church. Would we say that these labels are good stewards of what God has given them? I don't know.

In the suggestion department, you could always do what artists do when they want to put a greatest hits record with songs they recorded on a different label: they re-record them. Of course, to most musicphiles this is the worst atrocity that can be committed. But, with DA at the peak of their performance abilities, why not have DA enter a studio and simply re-record every single album? Not only would you own all the recordings, but fans who have the old recordings would want the new ones to complete their collection. I SAY BRING ON THE RE-RECORDINGS!!!! Tongue

02-21-2006 13:39 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah. Its a balance. On one hand its a Christian thing, supposed to be about the message. On the otherhand people have to make a living or in otherwords there are not many labels that do things out of charity..if there is they won't last long. I do think some of the label ownership is out of touch with how much they think they can recoup from these albums. If they ask thousands to license something they are out of their freaking minds. The Christian market unfortunately is not like the regular market in that it doesn't remember its history much. There is still a market for Elvis, Buddy Holly, or whoever in the secular market. And a few years go by and the Christian market forgets the Mark Heards, or the Keith Greens. The dynamic is not the same, the longer they wait, the less value they have. Because the audience doesn't remember, or the new generation isn't informed about where the current CCM came from.

Having said that there is a loyal 'collector' type fan base some of these artists still have like all of us, but its not big enough for these labels to be asking enormous amounts of money to license the old albums.

02-21-2006 15:14 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Yes, I have not understood why the Christian market does not remember its history. But then again, Christian music is often sold in Christian bookstores by people who know nothing about the music or are old ladies who don't listen to the alternative CD's.

02-21-2006 15:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah its a mess.

02-21-2006 15:40 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
iota
Unsullied Affiche

If you do special downloads, make "Nowhere is Someplace" available!

That song is as elusive as the holy grail to me....
02-21-2006 16:45 iota is offline Send an Email to iota Search for Posts by iota Add iota to your Buddy List
Administrator

It's on the DVD. Smile )

02-21-2006 17:11 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
samson samson is a male
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Yes, I have not understood why the Christian market does not remember its history. But then again, Christian music is often sold in Christian bookstores by people who know nothing about the music or are old ladies who don't listen to the alternative CD's.

Older Christian when was time you heard it on the raido, they have at times played a soung on xm ( the torch and the fish) once a while and air1 never once has played a older band like DA or Randy Stonehill and the list go's on and on so veary sad if it was not for us few that do rember the older bands it be like they never where parden while i weep just a bit

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by samson: 02-22-2006 00:06.

02-22-2006 00:00 samson is offline Send an Email to samson Search for Posts by samson Add samson to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I hate to think of all the lost sales to date for not having downloads available (and more product available in the webstore). I bet it would far surpass anything that will be made when CDs are actually able to get rereleased. Heck, the download business would probably fund a reissue or two anyways. Frown

If I downloaded all the songs on an album, I wouldn't want to pay as much to get the CD though, just to get the artwork and liner notes.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-22-2006 11:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah the problem we have had with downloads so far is usually have to go through some service to do it. Which means they take a cut. If the market is already small, then that cut can make it sort of unfinancially wise. Also if it reduces the market for the CDs which are much more financially strong for the indipendant artists...you cut your finances again.

With a small market, you basicaly have to try and reduce your cost as much as possible and maximize your proffit. If you can put CDs out yourself with as low of studio cost as possible..and make the CD worth buying you can actually start making enough money to continue.

Basically to me, the fact that the market is small makes the strategies more complex.

02-22-2006 11:44 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
The Glass Harp website has a bunch of free downloads just to help people hear the band, mostly live stuff and demos.

Check it out.

http://www.glassharp.net/Pages/sounds.html

02-22-2006 16:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

The big (and only) Christian 'store' in Duluth recently closed its doors.
The market is fading..........................is that a good thing?????

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

02-22-2006 16:30 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I don't know. I think there is a place for Christian music, even the rah rah type for some people. Shocked

02-22-2006 19:30 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

The dilution process Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Christian music, such as it is, is out in the public sphere. You have your P.O.D.s, Switchfoots and all making music on major labels. However, you also have a sense of dilution going on, where these groups feel they have to swing a bit to be hip.

I was so disappointed when P.O.D. did an on-air on a local rock radio station... It was probably two or three years ago... and the topic of conversation was whether they and the D.J. would pop in the Paris Hilton sex tape for another peek. I understand that in the real world, these conversations do happen, be they serious or in jest. I'm not asking for Christian musicians to purport to be completely blameless and saintly, but there are limits. This was a crossed limit and, no. I would not be able to take them at face value again, no matter how hard they slam the praise.

It also bothers me that, year by year, songs like The Eddies "The Twist" become increasingly impossible to put out there because its too rocky to be Christian but too Christian for the teens to swallow.

I'm a killjoy, I know.
02-22-2006 22:25 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

well - the pendulum between artistry and publicity has always been with us. It is in the CCM Market as well as other "entertainment" realms.

One of the biggest problems- or factoids - with the CCM market- is its NOT just an entertainment avenue..it is (well-or should be) a message bearing medium.
Other than educational TV- I cant think of another driven market that is trying to influence people the way that Christian Music supposed to be. Thats why its so frustrating-
Rah Rah C Music does have its place- it inspires in an easy to swallow format.
Independent CCM of course has its place- to challange and draw in ones thinking.
THe CCM Market is a huge industry now- some of us remember the day when you EXPECTED sound quality to be hackish at best- at least a huge majority of all the CCM (well - and music in general) has a lasting quality that was never there say 35 years ago. AND the independent artists were really in the cave..so I thank the Lord that we can enjoy quality from all sides of this "Inspirationally" driven market.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-23-2006 07:30 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Loose Ends

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH