Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Is it ethical? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Is it ethical?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Is it ethical? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I found this listing on eBay. They are selling a CD-R recording along with an LP of the same title, but the CDR was recorded off of a CD, not the LP. Is this an ethical practice?
I think it is legal, but with discussions here I wonder about its ethicality. Opinions?

05-28-2003 22:20 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
SMACK-A-SAURUS REX SMACK-A-SAURUS REX is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 05-22-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i know of a guy who sells ccm online , and he claims that if you own an original recording you have the right to own a copy for personal use. and that it does'nt matter what the copy was made from.(ie..cassette, lp, or cd).
05-28-2003 23:46 SMACK-A-SAURUS REX is offline Send an Email to SMACK-A-SAURUS REX Search for Posts by SMACK-A-SAURUS REX Add SMACK-A-SAURUS REX to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

if nobody will so anything to get us a re-issue of the cd, i see nothing wrong with it....
what are you supposed to do? pay 50 bucks on e-bay for an original cd? $#%* that! Mad
if the cd is in print, then that would be a different story.......... Red Face

05-29-2003 00:03 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The ethical question and the legal one don't always go
hand in hand. There are a lot of misinformed people
out there when it comes to the legal right you have
at making a backup.

You have the right to make 1 backup for yourself, if
you sell the original you are supposed to destroy the backup. And according to the way it's written, you have a right to make it for yourself, not someone else make it for you.

I am not arguing it's a smart law or that it should be that way or the ethics. But, people are mistaken when they think they have a loophole.

The fact is, the authorities just don't bother going after one guy making one copy. they go after the guy making lots of copies.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-29-2003 00:16 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

The fact is, the authorities just don't bother going after one guy making one copy. they go after the guy making lots of copies.

which is why danielamos.com can't sell "legal" cd-rs like the choir and undercover do of albums that might cost more to do a true re-issue than it may be worth..... Frown

05-29-2003 00:21 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:

It seems like the intent is to go after the guy making and selling lots of copies.

05-29-2003 09:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:

which is why danielamos.com can't sell "legal" cd-rs like the choir and undercover do of albums that might cost more to do a true re-issue than it may be worth..... Frown

What the DA store should do is sell mp3s of out of print songs and CDs.

05-29-2003 09:56 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Mad

05-29-2003 11:27 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-29-2003 11:57 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-29-2003 11:58 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

<Woooooo Hoooooo!!!!! 500 posts!!!!!!!
Do I get a cake or something?
Or just a swift kick in the ass.... Big Grin

05-29-2003 12:13 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

What the DA store should do is sell mp3s of out of print songs and CDs.

that would be a good idea, dennis....
as soon as the have the rights to all of their own damb music! Mad

05-29-2003 12:50 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

well yeah, that too! Cool

05-29-2003 13:48 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Asherman Asherman is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
<Woooooo Hoooooo!!!!! 500 posts!!!!!!!
Do I get a cake or something?
Or just a swift kick in the ass.... Big Grin

...Well.

...how 'bout a cookie! Big Grin

05-29-2003 14:38 Asherman is offline Send an Email to Asherman Search for Posts by Asherman Add Asherman to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

With Milk Please Big Grin

05-29-2003 14:39 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Yeah the legal CDR thing is good for making short
runs of albums that you do own the rights to.

Generally, that kind of thing is a last resort or
to raise some money for another project. Because
part of whats cool about an album is the look,
the cover, etc. Like Darn Floor, I would hate to do a
reissue without the cool cover.

Think about a Mr Buechners Dream reissue on a coverless
CDR..... wouldn't seem right.

Another thing we try to judge is which reissue we think we
could sell enough to make the money back... it would
be hard to put out the next reissue if you don't make
your money back off the first one.

Things like the fan club discs are good that way,
it would be nice to do them with a cover and jewelcase.
But, we would lose money on them to do that because of
the quantity made. And the whole point is to raise money
to support Terry and new releases and give the fans a
cool bit of otherwise unreleased material.

We probably are going to discuss a better way to do the
packaging for the fan club discs... just because of the
time involved.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-29-2003 15:16 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

of course a re-issue would be best.... but i have been hearing about possible re-issues for as long as this site has existed....
i know money is the issue holding these back.... if i had the money, i would finance a re-issue of DFBB, Outdoor Elvis, Let's Spin, and all the others that are hard to find.... but..... my only "legal" copy of those albums is on cassette, and i am not going to pay 50 bucks for an original on e-bay...... no way..
so, if re-issues can get done, then great, lets do it....
if not, or it may be years, lets at least get some legal cd-rs....... Red Face

"will have to do for now........"

05-29-2003 15:41 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
One Weigh or the Highweigh One Weigh or the Highweigh is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 04-11-2003
Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners! Come home to mother Rome!

a "real fan" will fork over th 50 bucks on e-bay for the originals.... Red Face
05-29-2003 17:09 One Weigh or the Highweigh is offline Send an Email to One Weigh or the Highweigh Homepage of One Weigh or the Highweigh Search for Posts by One Weigh or the Highweigh Add One Weigh or the Highweigh to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Roll Eyes

05-29-2003 18:53 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Big Grin

05-29-2003 18:56 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Is it ethical?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH