Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Thanks DA! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Thanks DA!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

Thanks DA! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You know, I grew up listening to Daniel Amos. I was 12 years old when I first heard them. Some people talk about how Eric Clapton, or Jimi Hendrix influenced them. My influence was always Terry. I've made and lost lots of friends over the years, but one of the constants in my life has always been Daniel Amos. I remember sitting in church with the little book that came with Alarma! tucked into the bible so everyone would think I was reading the word. Of course I was reading the Alarma! book. "Was it all a dream? It seems like it now. But then it also seems so real." That's how it started. I still have that same book, it is one of my most cherished possesions. We didn't have a lot growing up, but I remember saving every penny I had to buy Alarma! Everytime my mom took us to the Christian bookstore I would look for that cassette. I finaly found it. I will never forget that day. The bookstore was a little mom and pop place and they didn't have the cassettes in alphabetical order. They were just on shelves on the wall. On this particular day my mom told us it was time to go, so I gave up looking through all those tapes for the one I wanted (in retrospect I should have just asked for help from the clerk, but I am who I am). On the way out I just happened to look up and see Alarma! sitting on the shelf. I almost had a heart attack. Of course I didn't tell my mom what I was buying, she would never had allowed any kind of Rock in our house! I still have the tape and the box, but the tape doesn't play right anymore. People remember when they saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, some remember when Kennedy was assasinated. Me? I remember the day I found the one cassette that mattered more to me than anything else at the time. Thanks to Terry and all the band for all the memories and all the great music. It has meant more to me over the years than I could ever express in one short post! Thanks!

~Groucho~
07-09-2003 00:04 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Great story!

07-09-2003 09:02 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

YES it is

btw- my kids "sort of" hid Vox Humana from their dad- "you wouldn't like it etc.. I had "parts " of HD on a homemade tape.

But when I heard "It's the 80s (wheres our rocket packs)-
I was excepting and more!
Great tale SQ!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-09-2003 09:21 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

The first DA tape\album I ever bought was dfbb. I had read the review in HRS. Then about 6-8 months later I saw a lone copy in the local ma & pop bookstore in Brainerd. I bought that and the new Petra tape (On Fire, I think Roll Eyes )

That album blew me away. It took me around one and a half years to decide if I even liked it.

The album was such a challange for me, words, music, everything. When I bought FS like a year or so later that gave me a lot of insight into Terry's writng to help me understand dfbb. I bought MFT and that helped a lot too.

Of course I played Outdoor Elvis non-stop as well! Pleased

Terry has had more influence in my life than any other songwriter\singer. I wonder what my faith would be like without Terry's influence. As it is, that influence is too great to even discribe.

That three part interview with "Q" in HRS was very important to me as well! Smile

07-09-2003 09:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

Thread Starter Thread Started by Squidzit

Everyone should post their DA stories here! Let us know how long you been listening and what got you hooked! C'mon, I'm pretty new here and I don't know all of your stories. Please.

~Groucho~
07-09-2003 21:39 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

I wish I had a story like you guys...............because, until about 2 years ago, I didn't even know this music existed! But my brother, God love him, told me about a concert he was going to in Minneapolis (or was it St Paul? Twin Cities, anyway) of a guy named Terry Scott Taylor. Who was that, I wondered? And JimIny had such good things to say about this guy.............so he slowly introduced me to TST and Company..........first with Green Room Serenade, then with MBD, and other bits and pieces along the way. Heck, I even got to learn "Wall of Heaven", and sing it.......which is a very cool song, and means a lot to me.

I have a lot to learn, I'll admit.........but it will be the COOLEST to meet Terry and Mike and whoever else at the BBQ here in MN. Anyone who my brother admires THIS much has GOT to be good.........

And you folks..........here..........you've been such good friends, and such neat people. This is an excellent place Smile , and if all DA fans are as cool as you folks, then God is alive here Big Grin

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

07-09-2003 22:06 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

I JUST listened to your cover of Wall of Heaven Woggy! Very nice! I thought that was Joni Mitchell singing for a minute! Great job!

~Groucho~
07-09-2003 22:16 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
tafkak-9
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-19-2003

I agree, Woggy's version is awesome!
07-09-2003 22:26 tafkak-9 is offline Send an Email to tafkak-9 Search for Posts by tafkak-9 Add tafkak-9 to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

thanks, guys............

the recording could have been better - but what do you expect from a boombox, a microphone, and Jim's daughter's bedroom? Not bad, considering the studio Smile

07-09-2003 22:33 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
tafkak-9
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
Originally posted by Woggy
thanks, guys............

the recording could have been better - but what do you expect from a boombox, a microphone, and Jim's daughter's bedroom? Not bad, considering the studio Smile

I really do love it. I enjoy it every time I hear it.
07-09-2003 22:34 tafkak-9 is offline Send an Email to tafkak-9 Search for Posts by tafkak-9 Add tafkak-9 to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

Does BD still have that ablum for sale?

~Groucho~
07-09-2003 22:35 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
tafkak-9
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit

I think he does, check out is site.
07-09-2003 22:37 tafkak-9 is offline Send an Email to tafkak-9 Search for Posts by tafkak-9 Add tafkak-9 to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit

Ya, shure........go here:

DAmb It, anyway!

and if he doesn't have any left, I have an extra........it might just go to the highest bidder Smile

07-09-2003 23:07 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by tafkak-9

quote:

yer a sweetie, k-9 Smile Smile Smile

07-09-2003 23:09 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
tafkak-9
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tafkak-9

quote:

yer a sweetie, k-9 Smile Smile Smile

Why thank you maam!
07-09-2003 23:12 tafkak-9 is offline Send an Email to tafkak-9 Search for Posts by tafkak-9 Add tafkak-9 to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

you're OH so welcome..........

any BBQ's in your future??

07-09-2003 23:16 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
tafkak-9
Unsullied Affiche

quote:
you're OH so welcome..........

any BBQ's in your future??

I would love to do one, but I haven't seen the list of where they all are. Has it been posted?
07-09-2003 23:17 tafkak-9 is offline Send an Email to tafkak-9 Search for Posts by tafkak-9 Add tafkak-9 to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Um, not that I know of.

Minnesota - in Stillwater.

California - near ????????? LA? Don't even know for sure where it's at.

there was a group trying to get something going in the VA area, but don't think they got it.

looks like you'll have to come to MN Smile
Aug 3rd, man..............be there or be square!

07-09-2003 23:28 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

woggy's tunes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I like "New Car" as well! Pleased

07-10-2003 08:16 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the DAmb and I don't know anyone except through the briefest of quips, jokes, and repartee's, but I've really enjoyed the interactions here.

DA/Terry Taylors' influence on my life is a six degrees of seperation thing, and I've come late to their/his music (as I've come to most things in my life). But late is better than never!

On my last day of high school (circa '87) I walked out the back door of Stillwater H.S. and was met on the sidewalk by a Gideon handing out those little orange new testaments. I took it and gave it to my best friend... who became a Christian not 6 months later. When I saw the incredible change in him I decided to listen to what he had to say. And so I became a Christian shortly thereafter.

We didn't have a church, but we had Keith Green music. And that was the mainstay of our Christian instruction for about a year. I then got involved in a charismatic church and "got tongues," had some funky experiences, even had a "holy laughter" huxter come for a visit. I laugh so hard now when I think about all the experiences! For the longest time I listened to nothing but K. Green. Everything else was too "worldly."

One day I walked into a store called Praise Unlimited and found Mark Heards' "Ashes & Light" cassette in the bargain bin! That was the first time I heard intelligent Christian music, music that wasn't just a bag of emotion (I can remember where I was when I heard M.H. had died). From Heard's music I learned of Randy Stonehill. (At about this time I also discovered C.S. Lewis and Ravi Zazharias).

Then an album called "Scenic Routes" came out and I liked a few songs on it. When Little Red Riding Hood came out I was ecstatic. It was awesome! I also got Sticks & Stones, Let the Day Begin, and Chase the Kangaroo. Only once did I come across Daniel Amos proper. I either bought or heard someone's copy of BibleLand... and I didn't like it. I think this was still in the "if it's not the 2nd Chapter of Acts it's of the Devil" era.

Not until three years ago did I finally buy "Our World Famous..." on cd, and I immediately fell in love. I've been gobbling up more and more since. Darn Floor is my current favorite.

To me Daniel Amos/Terry Taylor is Chesterton set to music. A lyrical "Manalive." To be able to live in a fallen world without embracing the lonely, half-lit extremes is one of the most wonderful life lessons I've learned. Da helps me in that. Besides that, they're just plain fun!

"He is a sane man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head." -g.k. chesterton

"Down the twists and turns of a long, long story
I am here to learn about the weight of glory" -t. taylor
07-10-2003 10:35 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Thanks DA!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH