Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite Songs for Sampler CD » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite Songs for Sampler CD
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Favorite Songs for Sampler CD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just created a sampler CD selecting one song from each Daniel Amos CD and one song from other Swirling Eddies and TST CD's. I tried to show all the variety of styles they have gone through. It came in just under 79 minutes. Here's the tracklist:

1) Losers And Winners
2) Father's Arms
3) Hound Of Heaven
4) Alarma!
5) Mall (All Over The World)
6) Dance Stop
7) The Pool
Cool Darn Floor Big Bite
9) Let's Spin
10) If You Want To
11) Hole In The World
12) Broken Ladders To Glory
13) The Twist
14) When Everyone Wore Hats
15) You Lay Down
16) The Author Of The Story
17) Kind Word
1Cool Your Hidden Hand
19) Oh, Sweet Companion

I probably picked the standard songs for the most part. Some songs I picked because my kids love to hear them.

At less than 80 minutes for a CD, I missed several albums (Outdoor Elvis, Knowledge And Innocence, etc.). Why can't CD's be longer?

I already made myself a CD of favorite songs of Daniel Amos using at least a song from every CD except Daniel Amos and Shotgun Angel. (The track listing on it differs somewhat from the list above.) The first album is a little too country for me and the songs on Shotgun Angel work better in the context of that album as a whole.

I know ya'll have done this before, but what would you pick if you had to make only one sampler CD showing all the styles they have gone through?

07-16-2002 22:47 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Several months back I made my own double CD of my "best of" Daniel Amos. It took 2 full CDs. I put about 2-4 songs from each album on (MBD had several more because it's so DAmb good.)

I like your selection. We've got some of the same faves off different albums.

-- The Author of the Post
07-17-2002 09:16 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
cbg
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is my DA/Swirling Eddies Comp that I just did a couple of weeks ago!
1. On The Line- Horrendous Disc
2. My Room- Alarma!
3. Mall All Over the World- Live Bootleg ’82
4. Memory Lane- Doppelganger
5. Travelog- Vox Humana
6. Shadowcatcher- Fearful Symmetry
7. Soon!- The Revelation
8. Return of the Beat Menace- Darn Floor-Big Bite
9. The Big Guns- Let’s Spin!
10. Driving In England- Outdoor Elvis
11. The Unattainable Earth (remix)- Miracle Faith
12. Prayer Wheel- Kalhoun
13. What’s Come Over Me (acoustic)- Motor Cycle Tracks
14. Guilty- Motor Cycle
15. Out in the Cold- Bibleland
16. I Had a Bad Experience….- Zoom Daddy
17. Loveland- Songs of the Heart
18. I Luv crap Music- Sacred Cows
19. Ordinary Extraordinary Day- Mr. Buechner’s Dream
20. Small Great Things- And So It Goes
07-17-2002 12:21
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

I posted this months back when I did it, but I'll post it again. I did a two CD set of my Daniel Amos faves (only Daniel Amos/DA.)

Disc I: DA·76·87
1 · Skeptic's Song · Daniel Amos · 1976
2 · Father's Arms · Shotgun Angel · 1977
3 · Better · Shotgun Angel · 1977
4 · Hound of Heaven · Horrendous Disc · 1978
5 · Man in the Moon · Horrendous Disc · 1978
6 · Love Has Open Arms · DA Live Bootleg '82 · 1982
7 · ¡Alarma! · ¡Alarma! · 1981
8 · Cloak & Dagger · ¡Alarma! · 1981
9 · C&D Reprise · ¡Alarma! · 1981
10 · Endless Summer · ¡Alarma! · 1981
11 · Hollowman · Doppelgänger · 1983
12 · Mall (All Over the World) · Doppelgänger · 1983
13 · Real Girls · Doppelgänger · 1983
14 · Hollow Man (Reprise) · Doppelgänger · 1983
15 · William Blake · Vox Humana · 1984
16 · Dance Stop · Vox Humana · 1984
17 · The Pool · Fearful Symmetry · 1986
18 · Neverland Ballroom · Fearful Symmetry · 1986
19 · Instruction Thru Film · Fearful Symmetry · 1986
20 · Return of the Beat Menace · Darn Floor - Big Bite · 1987
21 · Darn Floor - Big Bite · Darn Floor - Big Bite · 1987
22 · The Unattainable Earth · Darn Floor - Big Bite · 1987

Disc II: DA·91·01

1 · Big, Warm, Sweet, Interior Glowing · Kalhoun · 1991
2 · Kalhoun · Kalhoun · 1991
3 · Virgin Falls · Kalhoun · 1991
4 · Buffalo Hills (acoustic mix) · Motor Cycle Tracks · 1993
5 · Building a "Motor Cycle" · Motor Cycle Tracks · 1993
6 · Guilty · Motor Cycle · 1993
7 · Low Crawls & High Times · Bibleland · 1994
8 · She's Working Here · Bibleland · 1994
9 · Can't Take My Eyes Off of You · Songs of the Heart · 1995
10 · Get Back Into the Bus, Aloha · Songs of the Heart · 1995
11 · When Everyone Wore Hats · Songs of the Heart · 1995
12 · The Author of the Story · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001
13 · I Get to Wondering · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001
14 · Beautiful Martyr · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001
15 · Joel · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001
16 · Small Great Things · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001
17 · Easy For You · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001
18 · Steal Away · Mr. Buechner's Dream · 2001

As you can see, it was impossible for me to make one CD with all my faves. And I wanted a collection with tracks from all albums and that showed the progression of their work.

I plan to do the same with TST and the Eddies. Later I'll do the Dogs, but I wanna do TST and SE now. I love having a CD burner!!

07-17-2002 13:46 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Dw. Dunphy
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Shoulda, Woulda, Couldas Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You know, I've tried in the past to make Terry-mix CDs, but a couple things have dogged my efforts.

1) I sometimes find it hard to separate parts from the whole... I love songs from Doppelganger, Motorcycle and Songs of the Heart, but I love them more in their own context. Taking them apart seems to affect my sense of the things. This is probably why "World Famous..." is my least-played Terry involved disc (even to Sacred Cows!).

2) On the same page as number one, selecting particular songs is difficult enough. Harder still is the finished product and the second guessing over why I did/didn't include certain songs.

3) There's too much to choose from!

It's enough to nuts you drive, sez I...

DwD
07-17-2002 16:40 Dw. Dunphy is offline Send an Email to Dw. Dunphy Search for Posts by Dw. Dunphy Add Dw. Dunphy to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark

It is so hard to choose only a few songs. They are all so good. Thanks for sharing.

I half expected someone to ask, "Where's the the Tuxedo Clad Megastar song from Sacred Cows?"

07-17-2002 20:15 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Dw. Dunphy

2) On the same page as number one, selecting particular songs is difficult enough. Harder still is the finished product and the second guessing over why I did/didn't include certain songs.

DwD

heh heh

I just make mp3 cds so I can get most everything from one artist on one disc....all of DA doesn't quite fit on one disc so I've got two for them.

Pleased

BD
07-17-2002 20:18 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark

I haven't ever made an MP3 disc. I guess I'll have to learn how to do it sometime. I have a DVD player at home that can play them and I know I could on my computer. I guess I just haven't taken the time to learn how.

List of things to do:

1) Learn to make use and make MP3 discs.

07-17-2002 20:25 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

a couple of years ago I made a mix tape I named "The Genie burro of Terry S. Taylor"

It had a pretty good mix of old and new. I have no idea where it is now Wink

07-20-2002 15:48 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
a couple of years ago I made a mix tape I named "The Genie burro of Terry S. Taylor"

It had a pretty good mix of old and new. I have no idea where it is now Wink

-I guess it was about five years ag I made the tape, not a couple Big Grin

07-20-2002 15:48 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:
"The Genie burro of Terry S. Taylor"

heh heh heh

I like It!

BD
07-20-2002 15:56 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by BD
quote:
"The Genie burro of Terry S. Taylor"

heh heh heh

I like It!

BD

it was one of my finer moments Wink

07-21-2002 14:04 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

It's hard for me to make a "tape" or "cd" like this. I am a literalist when it comes to music, and I even hate putting a disc on shuffle. I like the way a disc is laid out, songs in order, sort of like a book. Just my own little whim I'm sure.
LK-9

07-22-2002 01:34 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
It's hard for me to make a "tape" or "cd" like this. I am a literalist when it comes to music, and I even hate putting a disc on shuffle. I like the way a disc is laid out, songs in order, sort of like a book. Just my own little whim I'm sure.
LK-9

Would you have trouble putting "Personal World Favorites" on shuffle? I have an MD with "Personal Wordl Favorities," "The Berry Vest," "Best of the Dogs," and "Best of TST" all recorded (with a few off "When Worlds Collide.") I put that whole MD on shuffle and do work at coffee shops or while I'm at the gym. One of these days I'll make an MD of my favorite tracks (if I can fit them all onto one MD!)

07-22-2002 08:50 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post

Would you have trouble putting "Personal World Favorites" on shuffle?

The whole order on "Personal Favorites" just makes no sense anyway. From Alarma to DFBB to Bibleland to Kalhoun to FS to Doppelganger to Live Bootleg to Motorcycle to SOTH to Vox Humana to older stuff. It's insane!
07-22-2002 09:55 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post

Would you have trouble putting "Personal World Favorites" on shuffle?

The whole order on "Personal Favorites" just makes no sense anyway. From Alarma to DFBB to Bibleland to Kalhoun to FS to Doppelganger to Live Bootleg to Motorcycle to SOTH to Vox Humana to older stuff. It's insane!

I agree, no cohesion to it. No, no trouble putting this one on shuffle. I have it, but I rarely pull it out and listen to it. I am not a huge fan of "greatest hits," although I do purchase them.
LK-9

07-22-2002 11:53 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

I'm with you on not shuffling an album when I listen to an album alone. But I often put on 5 CDs and shuffle them all. In that case I don't mind. I'll even put a disc of MBD in with 4 others and hit shuffle. But never hit shuffle on MBD alone. That would just be wrong.

07-22-2002 12:18 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite Songs for Sampler CD

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH