Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » When Worlds Collide » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page When Worlds Collide 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
cadabr
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 06-03-2003

When Worlds Collide Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Has there been any discussion of this tribute album on this board?

k
09-06-2003 00:02 cadabr is offline Send an Email to cadabr Search for Posts by cadabr Add cadabr to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes. But there can always be more. Fire away.

Welcome!! What did you think of WWC?
09-06-2003 01:20 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

we talked about it when it first came out... on the old, old board.... lol... Wink

09-06-2003 01:45 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

have not heard it Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

and I'm afraid its not real high on my list.
I think I have w heard a few cuts off it..theres just so much stuff to fill the gap
with things BY the ones I love...
I cannot compare to DAMBit- except to say I really like it.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-06-2003 08:27 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Yeah, any discussion on that disc would have been on the first DAmb which vanished years ago. I don't know, there may be a thread or two buried here somewhere, but I'm not sure.

The response was always a mixed bag. The majority of reviews have been positive overall, but everyone likes different things about it or dislikes different things about it. Some like it because there are a few indie artists scattered on there and they don't like the big name artist's contributions at all... others dislike it because they think that the handful of indie artists is too many indie artists. We've heard some people say they absolutely hated a certain song.. and then other people say that same song was their favorite.

When we were putting it together, we knew we would get a pretty wide range of reactions. Some would automatically hate it just because they would be comparing all of the songs to the originals - which they already loved. It's sort of like trying to make a Beatles tribute album... as a big Beatles fan, I have to say that I've rarely heard a Beatles cover that I liked. (DA doing "Revolution" was pretty cool though). Since the Beatles versions of their own songs are perfect - how could anything other than their version be considered any good? Thats how a lot of people see WWC.

But as I said, I don't think we really received many negative published reviews, if any. Most of the magazine reviews were very positive. For me personally, its an extremely fun disc. The artists that contributed did so completely out of love for Terry & the guys. When I listen to it, it sounds like they all had a blast recording these songs - and many of them told us they did.

We're looking forward to finally finishing WWC2 as soon as possible.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-06-2003 13:27 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Here's the review from banophernalia.com

Three Stars.

This isn't as good as I would have hoped or expected. I listen to Rick's great version of I Love You several times a week (this CD is on the bottom shelf, which my three year old can reach, and the cover is his favourite. Of course to a three year old, a CD only hold one song - which is of course the I Love You song. For fun I played the original for him, which he recognized, but wanted his version). I bought some of the Dead Artist Syndrom stuff because of the DAS version of Through the Speakers. I don't know what happened with the 77s version of Shotgun Angel, I forgot it was on CD at first and checked to see if I was playing it at the right speed (anyone else remember the 16 setting on their turntables?).

I was expecting more recognizable talent, and not a bunch of obscure indie artists I'd never heard of. Sure there were some of the bigger little names I'd heard of: The Throes, Stonehill, 77s, Norman (and his hideous contribution - sorry Larry), and Phil Madeira, but the rest had no impact. There was some behind the scenes tongue in cheek fun involving David Edwards and his inappropriate contribution which never made the cut.

I know I'm being a critical pain in the donkey, but I'm not totally slagging it. I expected better and only got good. Still, it's not a bad album, it really does have a number of very good moments.

Apparently there's a sequal in the works. If Eric and Jason are keeping with the Wylie and Balmer theme they'll call it After Worlds Collide. Most likely they'll just call is When Worlds Collide II.

Reviewed January 2, 2003

Addendum:

I was obviously being a snot when I wrote it, but here's the goods on this album.

Without this tribute I'd never have picked up albums by The Throes, DAS, or Rick Altizer. It really is good. Is it perfect? Is it worth getting?

Yes.

In fact I'll have to update my review accordingly.

09-06-2003 16:20 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

quote:
It's sort of like trying to make a Beatles tribute album... as a big Beatles fan, I have to say that I've rarely heard a Beatles cover that I liked.

Then you haven't hoid Phil Keaggy/PfR's version of "We Can Work It Out"-

Listen, it comes down to this, WWC didn't woik because the DAmbers shoulda been the ones doin' it. -so we did!

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
09-08-2003 23:53 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Administrator

Heard it. Its not bad. Not as good as the original though.

I'd disagree with you about WWC, I think it "worked" fine. And the vast majority of the feedback has been mostly positive, so I know that others would agree.

Where else do you get to hear the 77s, Starflyer59, Phil Madeira, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Jimmy Abegg, DAS, Jeff Elbel, THe Throes and other greats all on one disc celebrating the music of Daniel Amos? Its weird.. its all over the place musically.. everyones doing crazy styles... but thats whats fun about
it to me.

And, by the way, it was done by DAmbers... We're DAmbers...

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-08-2003 23:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I agree. I like it.

09-08-2003 23:58 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Heard it. Its not bad. Not as good as the original though.

true.

09-09-2003 01:05 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

Smile Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

me like wwc very much Big Grin
09-09-2003 06:38 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

really... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Heard it. Its not bad.

cute

quote:
Not as good as the original though.

duh

quote:
And, by the way, it was done by DAmbers... We're DAmbers...

-other than Mike Roe of the 77s (and you're "technically" correct about Phil Madeira bein' a DAmber once-upon-a) I haven't seen too many posts from Starflyer59, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Jimmy Abegg, DAS, Jeff Elbel, The Throes and other greats.

-

Wink remember, we luv ya

09-10-2003 00:20 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

speaking of starflyer 59....

i saw them play the other night. they were very good. Smile

09-10-2003 00:44 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

ok ok- the only way to know-
is to hear it meself
I put it on the bottom of my list- but it IS on there.
JimiNy

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-10-2003 07:41 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

RE: really... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ™
-other than Mike Roe of the 77s (and you're "technically" correct about Phil Madeira bein' a DAmber once-upon-a) I haven't seen too many posts from Starflyer59, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Jimmy Abegg, DAS, Jeff Elbel, The Throes and other greats.

We were saying... the two of us are DaMBers, Jason and Eric.
But, as for who posts out of that group, how do you know none of those others havn't posted at a time or two? There actually have been a lot of interesting people post here.. even a relative or two of Terry's. I know Larry's been here. Seems like Brian has. the Starflyer guys probably have.

09-10-2003 17:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

No kidding? Mugs was a cousin?

09-10-2003 18:01 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
But, as for who posts out of that group, how do you know none
of those others havn't posted at a time or two?
There actually have been a lot of interesting people post here..
even a relative or two of Terry's.

really? Right on! Okay, glad to hear it!

-

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ™: 09-10-2003 23:04.

09-10-2003 22:57 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Do you think our lady of the desert is watching?
09-11-2003 10:00 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
No kidding? Mugs was a cousin?

Shocked

09-11-2003 18:18 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Skemankis
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-13-2003

[quote]Originally posted by audiori
... as a big Beatles fan, I have to say that I've rarely heard a Beatles cover that I liked. (DA doing "Revolution" was pretty cool though). quote]

Where was this? Was it only live? I don't think I've ever heard it. I can only imagine that it would be cool though.

09-11-2003 20:13 Skemankis is offline Send an Email to Skemankis Search for Posts by Skemankis Add Skemankis to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » When Worlds Collide

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH