Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA's Most Popular Album » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA's Most Popular Album
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

DA's Most Popular Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Horrendous Disc - Daniel Amos

DA's most popular album. Great songs. Even if you don't like other Daniel Amos albums, we think think you'll like this one!

(source Winter 2003 edition of The Solid Rock Newsletter)

12-10-2003 18:21 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

RE: DA's Most Popular Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
Horrendous Disc - Daniel Amos

DA's most popular album. Great songs. Even if you don't like other Daniel Amos albums, we think think you'll like this one!

(source Winter 2003 edition of The Solid Rock Newsletter)

I did not really know what to think when I read the newsletter the other day...They might be right....They might not...For the new listener that could be the case....
12-10-2003 18:30 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by Stuart Pedasso
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It certainly contained some of their most commercial pop / rock songs.

Hey, since there are so many engineer types on the board, can someone explain what it means when an album is re-balanced? I'm curious about getting the new versions of the DA and Stonehill albums, but how many ways can the old stuff be repackaged?

12-10-2003 18:37 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
It certainly contained some of their most commercial pop / rock songs.

Hey, since there are so many engineer types on the board, can someone explain what it means when an album is re-balanced? I'm curious about getting the new versions of the DA and Stonehill albums, but how many ways can the old stuff be repackaged?

It is one of my favs...Particularly the song.."On The Line" Love it!
12-10-2003 18:51 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

DA's most popular album, hmm? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds like the Solid Rock PR machine grinding it's wheel.

Don't get me wrong, I heart the Disc as much as any fan, but it definitely sounds, for best or worst, like a 70s album. I'd say that, in terms of acceptance, the two albums that fit the description are the self-titled and "Shotgun Angel" recordings. The band had an initial following and were pidgeonholed in short order.

If anything, "Horrendous Disc" and "Alarma!" are the least favorite because they changed what those fans originally thought the band was/should be.

As for rebalancing, that just sounds like remastering to me, which is kind of necessary. The sonic tolerances for vinyl are much different than those for digital audio. Hiss is more apparent and there's more room for increased bass resonance, so remixing to the higher specs takes advantage of those new parameters.

CDs sporting vinyl mixes often skew to the mid-range and treble...
DwD
12-10-2003 18:54 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
UncleUngie UncleUngie is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 12-04-2003

hmmmmm Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Despite the blurb, I was always under the impression that Shotgun Angel was their most popular album...

12-11-2003 00:27 UncleUngie is offline Send an Email to UncleUngie Search for Posts by UncleUngie Add UncleUngie to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I do not think that Horrendous Disc was the highest selling album,
so in what sense is it the most popular?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-11-2003 00:53 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Who knows.

12-11-2003 01:13 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

Because Larry Norman released it, that's why. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ah well. If it moves a couple more Disc discs, more power to them.

DwD
12-11-2003 09:44 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

RE: Because Larry Norman released it, that's why. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've actually never heard HD, except for the cover that Deliverance did of the title track on Stay of Execution. Is it as good as the hype says?

~VR~

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

12-11-2003 09:46 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
Ceremonial Kernel

Well yeah, it's very good, BUT... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Like I said before, it's very 70s, a product of its time. There's a heavy Beatle influence in there as well as a couple songs with a disco-ish beat and a soft rock vibe on others. There isn't a clunker in the bunch but it's obvious that the album is around 25 years old.

25 years. I feel bad.
DwD
12-11-2003 10:57 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

My two cents Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I never heard the album uuntil it was released on CD a few years ago. Until then, I had heard it referred to by other DA fans - they always treated it like the holy grail. I would have enjoyed it more on the first listen without all the hype. Don't get me wrong - I like it. A lot. But it is definitely a step in the developing process for this band that has led it to MBD.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jamespop: 12-11-2003 11:04.

12-11-2003 11:04 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

RE: Over-hyped, eh? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It'll be hard for me to put something above Songs From the Heart

~ VR ~

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

12-11-2003 11:11 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
You Gotta Be There
unregistered
RE: My two cents Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jamespop
I never heard the album uuntil it was released on CD a few years ago. Until then, I had heard it referred to by other DA fans - they always treated it like the holy grail. I would have enjoyed it more on the first listen without all the hype. Don't get me wrong - I like it. A lot. But it is definitely a step in the developing process for this band that has led it to MBD.

I kind of agree with this. I'll bet in 25 years when someone plays MBD, they won't say it sounds outdated. I'll bet it will stand the test of time like a
Revolver-and-up Beatles album.
- ygbt

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by You Gotta Be There: 12-11-2003 11:33.

12-11-2003 11:33
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I agree with you, but I just hope someone hears it.

12-11-2003 11:52 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

RE: Because Larry Norman released it, that's why. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Vox Robotica
I've actually never heard HD, except for the cover that Deliverance did of the title track on Stay of Execution. Is it as good as the hype says?

~VR~

my two cents Smile

it's better Pleased

Squid had the original tape for years and we copied it and re-copied it because we wore out our copies Cool

12-11-2003 11:56 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA's Most Popular Album

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH