Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New Releases... 2004 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New Releases... 2004 5 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd love to see a DFBB re-issue with a modern re-imagining of the album (a la WEWH but not acoustic) on Disc 2. Or what if it was a tribute album from current artists in album order so the "youths of today" would buy it.

Oh yeah, we're on a budget.

Then DFBB cdrs for all!!

August 2005
01-09-2004 14:20 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Audioris - a quick wondering... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Did you guys get my "When Everyone Wore Hats" order? Is it in the works? Again, just wondering...

DwD
01-09-2004 21:10 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Concert releases Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Somebody brought up these boots in a previous post and, frankly, depending on exactly who owns what, a series of "Dicks Picks" for DA might work -- concert tapes, with minimal audio work done to them (partly for cost, partly because, quite frankly, some engineers are over-aggressive in cleaning things up) -- maybe the series can be called "DAs Boot". As a money making release, this probably has the least over-head and can be done relatively easily. If everyone is lucky, there might be like 20 or 30 concert recordings floating around.

The concerts don't have to be great -- maybe reserve the really really good ones for special releases, but for some of these others recorded on cassette -- why not release them in a nice, simple, tasteful CD envelope -- and there's the release. No playing around with iDVD, no going through volumes of material to figure out what outtakes of HD, MotorCycle, whatever can be included. Concerts are short enough that the entire thing can be included and it is a self-encompassing whole that doesn't need alot of comment. The point is not to take a number of tapes and try to create a great DA concert circa 1982 -- these releases are for the fans and completists, so the extra work done for "Preachers from Outer Space" can be bypassed.

Now, quality will vary. Not only in how it was recorded but in the acoustics of the venue. There was a DA concert in So Cal in 1993, I think, that was in a building in an industrial park and the acoustics were perfectly hideous. But y'know, the people that weren't there probably would like to hear the concert -- especially since that would be a very full CD of music. Of course, the question is, how many of these events were taped?

Oh, BTW, if this plan ever comes about and some early DA tapes are released back when Christian artists were obligated to speak and explain the songs and evangelize -- could you set up the cuts on the CD so that a listener can optionally program around the speaking portions after they hear them for the first time? I've heard one of these old concerts and it's really amazing how much Terry is actually talking to the audience. Thanks.

Rob
01-12-2004 18:13 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

RE: New Releases... 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
- Jubal's Last Band Recordings (Live material and demos from
the pre-DA period)
- "Daniel Amos" reissue
- Previously mentioned "Horrendous Disc Sessions" collection
- The Making of Mr Buechner's Dream DVD
- The DA history compilation DVD (1970s-present day)
- DA at Cornerstone 2000 DVD (We still need some additional
footage from other cameras, folks...)
- Another book set of some kind... ???
- Imaginarium reissue... We want to do this in early '04 if
possible anyway..
- Mothman soundtrack.... also coming soon.. just waiting
on Doug to finish editing the film.

i would for sure buy all of that. except the imaginarium reissue (i already have that one)
01-13-2004 15:24 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I would love any DVD material, and would gladly support the release of any previously unreleased material, regardless of quality (as is with the pre DA material mentioned.) But for the DVD material, I am more excited about seeing behind the scene stuff than just straight out concert DVDs. Concerts are ok, but I don't buy any concert DVDs from hardly anybody I listen to. I prefer music video DVDs (if such a thing could possibly exist for DA), and would love to see any history compilations and making of DVDs.

As for other DVD ideas, I know it's not 100% DA, but how about a tribute to Gene Eugene on DVD, kinda like the Mark Heard tribute video?

As for the CD releases, I am not as interested in reissues as I am interested in hearing previously unrelease material.

upload photos to paste code
02-02-2004 16:55 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

RE: New Releases... 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If I had to choose one, and i don't, it would be the Horrendous Disc sessions disc. That makes me excited.

Speaking of HD, i was in my local Family Bookstore and they had HD on CD, about 7 or 8 copies of it. AND, it was in the "D" section. Wonders never cease.

I also like the idea of the Making of MBD DVD, and the C-stone 2000 show. That was a great show. And depending on the what the book set is, that would be nice also. Of course, i'll buy it whatever it is.
02-03-2004 11:27 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

HD at a family bookstore... recently? I hope you bought 'em all up and are offering them here!
02-03-2004 15:37 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Too poor to buy any. sorry.

I did, however, have to pinch myself to see if i was dreaming...many times. But then they kicked me out b/c i was enjoying it too much. Crying
02-03-2004 19:17 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

This may or may not be on-topic Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...but it is a thought that's crossed my mind a lot lately.

Janet's boob, Madonna's tongue, Britney's marital/unmarital antics... We are kind of blessed to have bands like DA and the 77s, but in the big picture is it at all about the music anymore? Was it really ever about the music? What song was playing during the "Boobgate" Incident at Superbowl Halftime? What song got Britney, Madonna and Christina (sometimes known as Xtina) so hot and bothered? Does it matter?

Really, I ask because I'm interested. As someone who really loves music, I'm alarmed at how disposable it all is, now more than any time before. Is it because of MP3 technology, making the physical CD so superfluous that all stars have is their stunts to keep them in the spotlight? Is it because of other reasons?

I'd like your opinion on this...
DwD
02-04-2004 06:27 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

a "Janet" is now the code word for a "boob" at my workplace! Shocked

Did you ever get/hear Tom Petty's record "The Last DJ?"
Talks about that kinda stuff in the music "biz." Wink

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-04-2004 08:50.

02-04-2004 08:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

RE: This may or may not be on-topic Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy

Janet's boob, Madonna's tongue, Britney's marital/unmarital antics... We are kind of blessed to have bands like DA and the 77s, but in the big picture is it at all about the music anymore? Was it really ever about the music? What song was playing during the "Boobgate" Incident at Superbowl Halftime? What song got Britney, Madonna and Christina (sometimes known as Xtina) so hot and bothered? Does it matter?

Really, I ask because I'm interested. As someone who really loves music, I'm alarmed at how disposable it all is, now more than any time before. Is it because of MP3 technology, making the physical CD so superfluous that all stars have is their stunts to keep them in the spotlight? Is it because of other reasons?

DwD

My theory (and it is mine, ahem) is this: There are artists and there are entertainers. Artists hone their craft and try to create what they feel is the best art they can create. Entertainers seek to simply entertain.

If an artist succeeds, the work that they create lasts for ages. If an entertainer succeeds, it lasts for the moment.

Years from now people will not be talking about Janet's faux pas anymore. They will still be talking about the great works of art that exist.

That's my 2¢. Can anyone make change?

02-04-2004 09:26 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

sounds about right to me.

I don't think it helps that record companies do not support the "artists" very much if at all.

02-04-2004 09:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

RE: This may or may not be on-topic Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:

DwD

My theory (and it is mine, ahem) is this: There are artists and there are entertainers. Artists hone their craft and try to create what they feel is the best art they can create. Entertainers seek to simply entertain.

If an artist succeeds, the work that they create lasts for ages. If an entertainer succeeds, it lasts for the moment.

Years from now people will not be talking about Janet's faux pas anymore. They will still be talking about the great works of art that exist.

ok, but not everybody who sells a million albums is an entertainer and not an "artist..."
i remember in high school, thinking i only like "underground" or "alternative" music, (whatever the f*** that is.... Roll Eyes ) then one day, you come to realize your favorite band has one a grammy and has the number one selling album in the world..... Cool (the joshua tree...)
then when i got into college, i kinda got that stupid attitude again... then it happened again... lol... bands like nirvana and soundgarden were topping the charts and being played every 10 minutes on mtv.... did they sell out? no, they made some really, really good music! Big Grin
anyways, the last 2 cds i actually paid for were by alicia keys and outkast..... i believe they are the top 2 selling cds in the country right now... so what? they both make really, really good music.... i haven't seen a good new "underground" or "alternative" band come out in quite some time...... all the blink 182's or whatever the hell they want to call themselves suck! Tongue
anyways, all i'm trying to say is music is music... i try not to categorize it... if Da or the sevens suddenly had a #1 hit and were played on mtv would we stop listening to them? course not........................ Cool

Cool
02-04-2004 12:11 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool RE: This may or may not be on-topic Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
anyways, all i'm trying to say is music is music... i try not to categorize it... if Da or the sevens suddenly had a #1 hit and were played on mtv would we stop listening to them? course not........................ Cool

Speak for yourself, non-elitist punk.... Red Face

Tongue

Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
02-04-2004 12:32 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:

DwD

ok, but not everybody who sells a million albums is an entertainer and not an "artist..."
i remember in high school, thinking i only like "underground" or "alternative" music, (whatever the f*** that is.... Roll Eyes ) then one day, you come to realize your favorite band has one a grammy and has the number one selling album in the world..... Cool (the joshua tree...)
then when i got into college, i kinda got that stupid attitude again... then it happened again... lol... bands like nirvana and soundgarden were topping the charts and being played every 10 minutes on mtv.... did they sell out? no, they made some really, really good music! Big Grin
anyways, the last 2 cds i actually paid for were by alicia keys and outkast..... i believe they are the top 2 selling cds in the country right now... so what? they both make really, really good music.... i haven't seen a good new "underground" or "alternative" band come out in quite some time...... all the blink 182's or whatever the hell they want to call themselves suck! Tongue

I agree. The number of copies sold is a reflection of either marketing or timing (or both) and not whether it should be valued as art.

BTW, weren't the 77s played on MTV at one point?

02-04-2004 12:56 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by PuP

yep..... carl must have stopped listening to them then........

Cool

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 02-04-2004 13:05.

02-04-2004 13:05 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PuP

yep..... carl must have stopped listening to them then........

Cool

No, I played it smart. I waited until MTV stopped playing them for 10 years before I even considered listening to them.... Red Face

Tongue

Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
02-04-2004 13:09 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Big Grin
02-04-2004 13:30 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

We do have a couple of things planned, and Terry has
some plans for the next major release as we said before.
We may put something out first to help raise the funds for that.

He did really like the Knowledge/Breifing bookset idea, he mentioned
it again this week. So maybe thats something he will work on putting
together. We think it would be very appropriate and fitting for those
two discs to reissue with a nice book... will be interesting to see what
Terry has in mind, and what he would come up with. Rob would
probably be involved in that one too.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-11-2004 18:03 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that's great! i love it whenever rob and terry work together!!!

02-11-2004 18:07 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New Releases... 2004

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH