Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Has Anyone Seen » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Has Anyone Seen
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Has Anyone Seen Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This Review Before?

i like what they say about Tim.

http://classicalgas.tripod.com/reviews/mbd.htm
02-09-2004 11:33 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

All I'VE seen is a crapload of "baxturd" threads.... Red Face

Anyway, I assume y'r referring to the line about "disturbing bass rumblings".... guess this guy stops by here on Fridays, huh? Big Grin Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 02-09-2004 11:43.

02-09-2004 11:40 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by baxter
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

BD is just expressing his pain. i am a curse word.
02-09-2004 11:41 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
All I'VE seen is a crapload of "baxturd" threads.... Red Face

i fixed them for you carl Crying

02-09-2004 14:17 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good. Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
02-09-2004 14:20 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

THAT IS A GREAT REVIEW-
The only one I read that seemed a bit discouraging was AMGS
Dave Slager-
though hes up and down about it- and goes 2.5 of 5 stars
( I own a lot of their 2 star works-..and some 5's that to me-aint.)

After a six-year studio hiatus, Daniel Amos returns with a lofty effort illustrating the impact author Frederick Buechner had on chief songwriter/vocalist Terry Taylor and, presumably, the entire band. The trouble with implied concept albums, however, is the difficulty songwriters face in bridging the many disparate and frankly "unsingable" themes involved. Thus, excess filler material is inevitable. This album is no exception. Daniel Amos has always fared better with their edgier, more alternative material; however, this recording is mired in melancholy and inconsistency — the latter trait having glaringly dogged this band up until their 1987 artistic breakthrough, Darn Floor Big Bite, and to a lesser degree in their more musically stable period since then. The contemplative themes comprising this album do not always lend themselves to accessible alternative pop songs. Absent for the most part are guitarist Greg Flesch's biting and creative Snakefinger-esque guitar riffs; the band's melodramatic, 10cc-derived vocal harmonies (Godley and Creme era); and their hook-laden melodies à la Electric Light Orchestra. While Buechner may have been an admirable and inspirational fellow, this collection of songs frequently fails to convey that reverence to the listener. Taylor's humdrum delivery and bland band arrangements counter the exceptional work he's done in his other band, Lost Dogs, and noteworthy Daniel Amos releases like the brilliant Motor Cycle and the David Bowie-infused Songs From the Heart: The Story of Bud and Irma Akendorf. By contrast, the plodding pace of Mr. Buechner's Dream gives its immediate predecessor, Songs From the Heart (which was regarded as an uneven and brooding affair), a new degree of continuity and energy. This collection is not devoid of engaging material. Outstanding tracks include "Easy for You," a noisy throwback to 1987, and the rootsy and jangly "Pregnant Pause" (which could've been included on Gift Horse or Scenic Routes, two of Lost Dogs' finest recordings). There is an estimable album hidden amid these 33 tracks, but sifting through for those gems may prove to be too tedious for the casual listener. The overriding stark and stripped-down nature of this album may have been better served as a Taylor solo project, as it defies many of the identifiable and long-standing trademarks of this band. — Dave Sleger

I don't know where SOTH is "Bowie infused" - Davie Jones has NOTHING like Evangeline on anything I've ever heard by him- or any other tune on it.
Anyone wanna call me to task there?

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-09-2004 14:25 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Crinklepot Crinklepot is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 04-17-2002

I would hate to read his reveiw of the Beatles White Album.
02-09-2004 15:49 Crinklepot is offline Send an Email to Crinklepot Search for Posts by Crinklepot Add Crinklepot to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Great review.

The White Album is awesome, BTW.

02-09-2004 16:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Here is my reveiw of Dave Slager's reveiw;

After a not long enough hiatus between posting his opinion,
Dave Slager brings forth another reveiw of an album he would not
have the talent to make himself. The problem with writing a reveiw
is the writer should give an unbiased and intelligent description
of the album for the potential listener. Not judging the material
on his own personal musical tastes. Mr Slager fails in these two
areas by comparing this album to other works he does like and
even comparing the album to the country flaired Lost Dogs albums
he apparently likes. If he doesn't like the style of the album,
that should not be reflected in the reveiw.
Throughout the review are various contradictions, how can "Taylor's
humdrum delivery and bland band arrangements" and "Outstanding
tracks include..." be descriptions of the same album?
Not only that, there is frankly more information about other DA albums
in this reveiw than information about this DA album. It is almost a
commentary on DA's career more than an album reveiw.
After reading this reveiw I know no more about the album than before
I read it. There is no in depth analysis of the albums content here,
all I learn is that this guy likes older DA albums and the Lost Dogs.
I give this reveiw one star out of five.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-09-2004 19:24 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by baxter

i think you are too generous.
02-09-2004 19:49 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

Blah blah blah. Let's review the view ...

It's an opinion. It what they do. Siskel does the same. You get a sense of that a reviewer likes or doesn't like. Point of reference is fair game. If you don't like the style you say so. If you want to have your stuff reviewed a certain way, then send out the specifications of what you will accept as in a review. By the way the bland delivery makes sense when taken as a whole. And within there can be moments where it does rise above. I have a number of albums where I think they're not very good, but when I listen to them closely there are moments I go "ooh and ah" but later when thinking about the whole thing it's nothing that I remember.

1. You must like it and proclaim Terry a genius
2. If you don't like it, don't review it or we'll get upset
3. You can't make contradictory statements.

Even bad press is press. Someone took the time to think DA was important enough to review even if it wasn't as favourable as you'd like. I had an interesting side conversation with Jeff from Ping a week ago where I was apologizing for not really liking one of his albums. I wanted to, and there were a number of really great moments, but the overall impression never struck me. It was the style and delivery not the talent. He thanked me for giving him a review and taking the time to acknowledge the band.

I can hardly wait to post some more of my personally subjective reviews of DA albums that have no indepth analysis.

02-10-2004 13:30 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

quote:

Yup, it's a piece of "piece"

02-10-2004 16:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
quote:

Blah blah blah. Let's review the view ...

It's an opinion. It what they do. Siskel does the same. You get a sense of that a reviewer likes or doesn't like. Point of reference is fair game. If you don't like the style you say so. If you want to have your stuff reviewed a certain way, then send out the specifications of what you will accept as in a review. By the way the bland delivery makes sense when taken as a whole. And within there can be moments where it does rise above. I have a number of albums where I think they're not very good, but when I listen to them closely there are moments I go "ooh and ah" but later when thinking about the whole thing it's nothing that I remember.

1. You must like it and proclaim Terry a genius
2. If you don't like it, don't review it or we'll get upset
3. You can't make contradictory statements.

Even bad press is press. Someone took the time to think DA was important enough to review even if it wasn't as favourable as you'd like. I had an interesting side conversation with Jeff from Ping a week ago where I was apologizing for not really liking one of his albums. I wanted to, and there were a number of really great moments, but the overall impression never struck me. It was the style and delivery not the talent. He thanked me for giving him a review and taking the time to acknowledge the band.

I can hardly wait to post some more of my personally subjective reviews of DA albums that have no indepth analysis.

Here is my review of Stuart’s review of the audiori’s review of Mr Slager’s review of…

… some album I can’t remember, but it was important at the time.

I think Stuart has his panties in a wad over the fact that someone outside of the critics world (that he so longs to be a part of), doesn’t agree or like a certain style of writing in said review.

I say to Stu,

1) First learn to spell the word Favorably correctly. If you are going to review an audiori from the USA, who reviewed a reviewer from the USA then you must learn to write as a person from the USA. We, unlike the rest of the world do not use an extra vowel.

2) Please pull you panties out and put on a fresh pair. You will look, feel and smell a whole lot better.

3) There is no third, I just wanted to use three numbers like you did.

Even a bad review of a bad review of a bad review is OK once in a while.

Please do post some of your in depth analysis of DA albums so we may stone you proper.

BDasso

Roll Eyes
Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BigDork: 02-10-2004 19:08.

02-10-2004 17:16 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i like bdasso's review of stu's review of the other reviews...... Tongue

02-10-2004 17:19 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

so is that a positive review of my review of the bad review of the bad review of the original review in question?

02-10-2004 17:26 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

now i'm confused.... Confused

02-10-2004 17:28 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

You're confused, I can get my gonch out of my crack, and now I'm finding that my alias isn't as bullet proof as it should be. Bloody hell - er heck, allow me to pretend that Stu is real. BDasso must have me confused with someone else who is tall and thinks that the big guy who plays the obnoxious fiance isn't that obnoxious.

As to the extra vowels ... I'm honoured to think that my neighbours to the south feel they have most favoured nation status and are the true centre of the universe.

Now about Songs of the Heart. What the hell was that? Nothing at all like the Lost Dogs who I happen to like. That song Mexico was great, why can't Terry write more songs like that? HUH (is that American enough for ya?)

02-10-2004 17:35 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Additional. I don't think I'm a critic so much as a guy who spent too much of his own money on stuff, and unfortunately has a website and some free time and has the audacity to write whatever the heck he feels like and then posts it up. FREE SPEECH BABY. Even Canadians like that one.

A critic usually gets stuff for free. They have no emotional or monetary investment in the product. They can be mean for fun. I'm mean for fun too once in a while, but usually I like what I buy.

Oooh, dang thongs for men just aren't comfy. I wonder if I've got the thing on backward.

02-10-2004 17:46 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Sad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
Oooh, dang thongs for men just aren't comfy. I wonder if I've got the thing on backward.

02-10-2004 17:49 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Looks like a freakin' Cow's skull.

02-10-2004 18:02 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Has Anyone Seen

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH