Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bruce Cockburn's Site » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bruce Cockburn's Site
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rev. J. T. Tucker, III
Heresy! Apostacy! Dr. Rich, you and LK-9 are a disgrace to this board. And I'll throw in that Woggy and Joey T. too. The only burn you better worry about in your life is this, "TURN OR BURN."
Rev. J. T.

Tuck, this Bruce Cockburn lyric is just for youSmile

"you don't really give a flying f*ck about the people in misery."

04-29-2002 19:14 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Heresy! Apostacy! Dr. Rich, you and LK-9 are a disgrace to this board. And I'll throw in that Woggy and Joey T. too. The only burn you better worry about in your life is this, "TURN OR BURN."
Rev. J. T.

I'll have to check out some more of Cockburn's stuff too! Big Grin

04-29-2002 19:22 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Rev. J. T.

I'll have to check out some more of Cockburn's stuff too! Big Grin

ya... good stuffSmile

04-29-2002 19:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
kevinf
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-30-2002

Sorry -- double-posted somehow.
04-30-2002 14:17 kevinf is offline Send an Email to kevinf Search for Posts by kevinf Add kevinf to your Buddy List
kevinf
Dark Steamy Cabbage

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
Jim,
Even though "choice" isn't alway the right thing, it is what God has allowed all of us to make in our lives. I remember reading somewhere that Mr. Cockburn states that he is not in favor of abortion, but he is in favor of honoring choice. Now with choice often comes consequence. That is for an entirely different thread though.

Sounds great on paper, until someone chooses to kill you. Would you really want to legislate someone's moral right to choose to kill you? Yeah, I didn't think so. My moral freedom to choose to do something really bad is one thing: passing and defending a law that helps me to do something really bad is something else entirely. Either you think unborn babies are living human beings that are killed when they're aborted, or you think they're mindless/spiritless globs of goop that are no different than a kidney. And frankly, if you believe the latter you need to catch up on your Discovery channel viewing. And this is all before even thinking of bringing God and any kind of moral responsibility into the picture. Sorry, but attempts to reconcile any kind of pro-choice ethic with Christianity are just bullgrey poop'on plain and simple.

Oh, not that whoever did the Bruce Cockburn site thing isn't a sick bastard. I'm convinced the reason the country isn't overwhelmingly pro-life is because of the rampant, embarrassing stupidity run amuck among pro-lifers.
04-30-2002 14:20 kevinf is offline Send an Email to kevinf Search for Posts by kevinf Add kevinf to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by kevinf

Sounds great on paper, until someone chooses to kill you. Would you really want to legislate someone's moral right to choose to kill you? Yeah, I didn't think so. My moral freedom to choose to do something really bad is one thing: passing and defending a law that helps me to do something really bad is something else entirely. Either you think unborn babies are living human beings that are killed when they're aborted, or you think they're mindless/spiritless globs of goop that are no different than a kidney. And frankly, if you believe the latter you need to catch up on your Discovery channel viewing. And this is all before even thinking of bringing God and any kind of moral responsibility into the picture. Sorry, but attempts to reconcile any kind of pro-choice ethic with Christianity are just bullgrey poop'on plain and simple.

Oh, not that whoever did the Bruce Cockburn site thing isn't a sick bastard. I'm convinced the reason the country isn't overwhelmingly pro-life is because of the rampant, embarrassing stupidity run amuck among pro-lifers.

Hey Kevin!
nice to have you on the DAmb again.....Cool

take your time, look around for a while....you don't have to jump right in. I know it can be hard to say what you really think.Wink

I did start to get an uneasy feeling looking through that web site.

I got no answers for this issue......only questions and sorrow.

BD

p.s. It is nice to see ya here!

04-30-2002 14:32 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Hey KevinF,
Nice to see you too! Let me comment on my "choice" posting. I am the first one to say that I am all for life. I am against abortion, although I am one of those persons that says there may be extreme cases to "justify." My point was this, God has given humans the power to make choices. That doesn't make the choices that humans make the right, moral choices. Having a law that makes it a "right, moral" choice still does not make it a "right, moral" choice. Now someone can make the choice to kill me. That is not a right, moral choice (in spite of what some of you think), but it's a choice, and God allows for choice in His world. There are consequences of our choices, not only here in this life, but also in the eternal realm. I find the first murder in the Bible very interesting. Cain kills his brother, murder, simple as that. However, not only is Cain allowed to live, but a protective mark is placed upon him by God. Now I'll never understand this God I serve, even though I've been ordained and all of that crap. This God still offers grace to His humans, even when our choices suck and affect others. All this rambling to say this, I think God allows choice, even immoral choices. Do I think abortion is a wrong, immoral choice? Yes, I do. Yet somehow in the midst of it all, I want to be His salt & light to all factions of people. I'm still working on that.
LK-9

04-30-2002 14:52 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Jim,
Even though "choice" isn't alway the right thing, it is what God has allowed all of us to make in our lives. I remember reading somewhere that Mr. Cockburn states that he is not in favor of abortion, but he is in favor of honoring choice. Now with choice often comes consequence. That is for an entirely different thread though.

what a pain in the burro you are Kevin!
Great to have you back Wink

04-30-2002 17:49 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
kevinf
Dark Steamy Cabbage

quote:
Hey KevinF,
Nice to see you too! Let me comment on my "choice" posting. I am the first one to say that I am all for life. I am against abortion, although I am one of those persons that says there may be extreme cases to "justify." My point was this, God has given humans the power to make choices. That doesn't make the choices that humans make the right, moral choices. Having a law that makes it a "right, moral" choice still does not make it a "right, moral" choice. Now someone can make the choice to kill me. That is not a right, moral choice (in spite of what some of you think), but it's a choice, and God allows for choice in His world. There are consequences of our choices, not only here in this life, but also in the eternal realm. I find the first murder in the Bible very interesting. Cain kills his brother, murder, simple as that. However, not only is Cain allowed to live, but a protective mark is placed upon him by God. Now I'll never understand this God I serve, even though I've been ordained and all of that crap. This God still offers grace to His humans, even when our choices suck and affect others. All this rambling to say this, I think God allows choice, even immoral choices. Do I think abortion is a wrong, immoral choice? Yes, I do. Yet somehow in the midst of it all, I want to be His salt & light to all factions of people. I'm still working on that.
LK-9

Hi all. (I do lurk around, but the time to jump in is so limited it takes something like this to force my hand!)

K9, I understand what you're saying, but can't we agree that people would choose to get abortions whether they were sanctioned by law or not? Then why should that be legal when people can still choose to break the law? We certainly can't legislate the ability to choose to do wrong, but we can surely make something illegal. Murder is illegal -- should we legalize it simply because people can choose to murder? I don't know if this is your argument per se, or if you're just trying to explain the position of those who are pro-choice.

I can choose to do anything I want, regardless of any law on the books. The law says I can't steal, I can choose to steal. The law says I can't have sex with children, I can choose to have sex with children. The law says a lot of things -- all of which I can choose to do regardless of what the law says. On that basis would Bruce Cockburn say we should then do away with laws? I'm guessing no: he probably sees abortion as the lesser of two evils -- preventing bringing children who are unwanted or unloved into the world, and furthering the (supposed) burden on our planet's resources. (Either that or he doesn't believe these unborn babies are actually babies, which I doubt.) That's very pragmatic, but is it right?
05-01-2002 09:28 kevinf is offline Send an Email to kevinf Search for Posts by kevinf Add kevinf to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Kevin,
As usual when you and I dialogue, I think we agree much more than disagree. I agree with your second paragraph, and I was not trying to argue for the "pro-choice" crowd, just showing how God allows choice in His world, even extreme immoral choices. Even though I have been accused of being a liberal, I do not think abortion is right, and I am against laws legislating that it's "okay." You hit the "nail on the head" when you posted about certain groups going about their stance against it in the wrong way. I think many Christians dig their own grave when their means of protest is very unlike Christ.
LK-9

05-01-2002 10:36 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
kevinf
Dark Steamy Cabbage

K9, yes we do indeed agree. I wonder sometimes how many people are kept away from being openly pro-life by the pro-life advocates themselves. Hey, same thing goes for Christianity, now that I think about it!
05-01-2002 11:31 kevinf is offline Send an Email to kevinf Search for Posts by kevinf Add kevinf to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
K9, yes we do indeed agree. I wonder sometimes how many people are kept away from being openly pro-life by the pro-life advocates themselves. Hey, same thing goes for Christianity, now that I think about it!

We don't agree... but I like you and wish that you posted more Smile

05-01-2002 16:48 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Dennis,
You hereticCool ! Put on your Ozzy shirt, crank up the Pixies, stare at your picture of Uncle Bultmann, and drink Sam Adams until morning. Come to think of it, pull up another chair, I'll join you!
LK-9

05-01-2002 17:35 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Uncle Ralph
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-608.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2002
Location: "I intend to live forever - so far, so good." Steven Wright

quote:
Dennis,
You hereticCool ! Put on your Ozzy shirt, crank up the Pixies, stare at your picture of Uncle Bultmann, and drink Sam Adams until morning. Come to think of it, pull up another chair, I'll join you!
LK-9

Sounds like fun... mind if Betty and I stop by??

05-01-2002 17:37 Uncle Ralph is offline Send an Email to Uncle Ralph Search for Posts by Uncle Ralph Add Uncle Ralph to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Wow Ralph, you and Betty are back together? I thought she was with Jiminy?
LK-9

05-01-2002 17:38 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
LK-9

"She was everybody's darling" Wink

05-01-2002 17:39 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Uncle Ralph
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-608.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2002
Location: "I intend to live forever - so far, so good." Steven Wright

quote:
quote:
LK-9

"She was everybody's darling" Wink

You always share the ones you love Smile

05-01-2002 17:41 Uncle Ralph is offline Send an Email to Uncle Ralph Search for Posts by Uncle Ralph Add Uncle Ralph to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Betty's philosophy is the old song, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey love the one you're with."
LK-9

05-01-2002 18:05 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

By the way...
last night I picked up "Humans" by B.C.
less then 4 bucks and in really good shape Smile )

05-02-2002 16:30 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
None of this addresses the fact that his name sounds like a porn star name....

Big Grin

Whose name, Cockburn or Muglia? Big Grin

both! Pleased

09-20-2004 23:23 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bruce Cockburn's Site

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH