Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you find DA? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

How did you find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was sixteen and I found Alarma in a Christian bookstore (them was the days). One of the guys in the picture had leather pants on, so I thought -- I'll give it a shot.
07-24-2004 09:01 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We bought the cassettes of Alarma and Doppelganger
and then bought the first three....and kept going from there.
So I actually heard the country stuff after Alarma.... now that
is a shock.

My alarma cassette came with one of those alarma booklets,
cassette size... I always thought that was cool... I didn't buy it
in a christian bookstore either. The book was like on the outside
of the cassette case inside the wrapper.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-24-2004 10:17 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was born in 1977 and the first music I ever heard was shotgun angel Tongue Cool Pleased

07-24-2004 11:34 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

RE: How did you find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I FIND THEM ENTIRELY REPREHENSIBLE! ESPECIALLY THEIR DIRTBAG BASS PLAYER!! JOIN ME, PEOPLE!!!

07-24-2004 11:45 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

you gonna beat him up?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-24-2004 13:26 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
So I actually heard the country stuff after Alarma.... now that
is a shock.

I heard the Country stuff after DFBB & FS.
Ditto on the shock! Shocked

07-24-2004 14:41 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I was born in 1977 and the first music I ever heard was shotgun angel Tongue Cool Pleased

1977 Shocked I was 9!Tongue

I read the review of DFBB in HRS & bought it based on that review.
The next record I got was FS. Cool

I got into the Swirling Eddies through a friend, but did not know they where DA for about a year! Shocked

07-24-2004 14:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
smackeral
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-16-2004

In 1977 I was getting ready to graduate high school! Tongue

In 1984 I heard "Distance and Direction" on a late night radio show. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever heard on "Christian radio." I bought Doppelganger at a Christian bookstore (the clerk informed me Terry's mother-in-law was working there, but I didn't talk to her). I devoured the LP, cover art, Chronicles, and all, and was hooked forever. Several years later a friend told me, "They used to be a country band you know." I replied, "No way!!!" Yes way. I wasn't able to get their first three albums until they were reissued on CD. Then I realized I had heard "Don't Light Your Own Fire" in the 70's, but I thought it was lame. Shocked I lost track of them for several years when I kept asking for DA at the bookstore and they said there was nothing new. When I finally found out they had morphed into the Swirling Eddies, I had a lot of catching up to do. Thank God for the Internet so I don't have to rely on ignorant store personnel any more!
07-24-2004 16:42 smackeral is offline Search for Posts by smackeral Add smackeral to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

1989. I was in way too many record clubs. Somehow ended up with Outdoor Elvis from Word. Thought, and still think, it was one of the best albums from the 80s. At this point I had never heard of DA or TST.

Fast-forward to 1997. I'm working a job purchasing and preparing computers for pharmacists to use in ordering their inventory. Some came with games which the pharmacist had no interest in, so I got to keep them. One was The Neverhood. While playing it with my daughter, I couldn't get the soundtrack out of my head. I checked a Neverhood fan site for clues to the game and saw a link to Stunt Records where you could buy the soundtrack album.

That site mentioned the Swirling Eddies which was a surprise because I had not heard about them in five years. A visit to danielamos.com revealed the connection to DA, TST and LD. I've been trying to make up for lost time ever since!

07-24-2004 22:49 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I bought Lost Dogs' Scenic Routes when it came out about 1992. I thought these guys are really good for a Christian band and maybe I'll check out some of their other stuff, so I got DA Motorcycle. Being a poor, newly married college student is not a record-buying budget, so the last few years especially we have been making up for lost time.

I liked the Shotgun Angel stuff when I heard some of it. I don't care all that much for Alarma Chronicles' stuff (still great lyrics and story).

Mr. Buechner's Dream is simply a masterpiece.

I really wish I had got into DA about the time DFBB came out!

And I was 5 in 1977! Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-24-2004 23:12 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
I bought Lost Dogs' Scenic Routes when it came out about 1992. I thought these guys are really good for a Christian band and maybe I'll check out some of their other stuff, so I got DA Motorcycle. Being a poor, newly married college student is not a record-buying budget, so the last few years especially we have been making up for lost time.

I liked the Shotgun Angel stuff when I heard some of it. I don't care all that much for Alarma Chronicles' stuff (still great lyrics and story).

Mr. Buechner's Dream is simply a masterpiece.

I really wish I had got into DA about the time DFBB came out!

And I was 5 in 1977! Tongue

As was I! Big Grin

And I'll tag onto MF's story about DA.

After we got married in 1993, he picked up Little Red Riding Hood. We would drive back and forth between school and family (about 3 to 3 1/2 hours) and he would listen to "that band that looks like a bunch of hoodlums" (yes that was my ignorant opinion of LD). Roll Eyes I was so confused. Confused

I didn't like them and nothing he said would convince me otherwise. Red Face Fast forward to late August/early September 2002. MF comes home with Acoustic Worship 2 - We Bow Down (CD) that Derri co-produced. He got it for 3 or 4 bucks at the Christian bookstore. Shocked He popped it into the CD player and hit the shower, leaving me alone to listen to it. I didn't know who it was, but wow could he sing. And the heart of worship was incredible. I looked at the liner notes and saw "Derald Daugherty" listed. I asked MF, "Isn't he in that band, The Lost Dogs?" Oh, yeah, I gave MF a hard time over that one. The Dogs were going to be in Charlotte in October, so he wanted to go. He asked several guys to ride down with him and all of them wanted to go, but one by one they all bailed. I kind of wanted to go with him just so I could see this guy who had co-produced this CD. So now I had a good excuse. We went and had a great time.

I immediately fell in love with Derri's voice all over again, but I was struck by Terry's sincerity when we talked to him after the show. Pleased He was so genuine and caring. I still didn't know who DA was. I was one of them idiots who asked, "Who's he?" when MF mentioned Daniel Amos. Roll Eyes

I guess it was really sometime in 2003 when I realized who DA was and started to appreciate their music. So I'm really trying to play catch-up, but it's sorta hard when I really enjoy the Dogs a little more (my country background catching up to me there!) Guess the thing I like most about DA is Terry's lyrics ~ they really touch me.

My favorite DA album? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can't pick. I do like most of 'em, but some of my favorites are: Kalhoun, DFBB, MBD

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-25-2004 00:38 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

me?
I heard the "Shotgun Angel" single on an underground out of the basement (literally) local CCM Radio in 1979. - I had a friend more into Country music than I so I mentioned the song- and he bought Shotgun Angel- (I've stolen his LP from him since on a trade ..heh heh)
So my first intro was the Country version - which I liked.

I got Horrendous Disc from the Library and went - Wowsa!- I did not borrow it to my friend after taping it- I'd have been reported to my local pastor.!.. but I loved Love No 19- and the Elo/Beatlesque sound (and reference in On the line)
I recall iAlarma! in the stores and Doppleganger- they intrigued me, but..

They also played "Its the 80s(Wheres are rocket packs) on that same radio station (which has gone full blown Christian Hit!- and thats OK I guess)- and my kids bought Vox. I heard bits and pieces of FS- my boys pals had it somewhere.
I did get DFFB- and liked aspects of it immediately- also bought both Lets Spin and OE tapes - which I really liked

Fast Forward to 1995- I saw Songs of the Heart in a used CD bin and thought- hmmm- these dudes?- was up with them now...
It was one of the rare times I said :sure" when the counter kid asked if I wanted to "preview" my purchase.
20 seconds into "Cant take my eyes off of you"- I said
Wowa AGAIN_ and I have been trying to mop up all that lay in between then and now ever since

My first time seeing Terry in 2000 I was a newbie DAmber...I could have swapped howdies with a lot more folks had I known - cuz
Dennis, Dale, Randy, Commander, Tony Shore, and Dear Dave Sjoberg were among that small group at the living room cafe.

and well- the rest is'nt history- its Here and NOW!!!!

Oh yeah, - I could drink and gamble (legally) in Vegas in 1977.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-25-2004 02:15 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
pizzalero pizzalero is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-25-2004

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was a Freshman at the University of Georgia (1990) and there was a guy living in the dorm who was an aspiring youth minister. His big thing was reaching youth through music. So, he & I listened to a lot of "Christian Rock" and he introduced me to DA from "Daniel Amos" up to "Outdoor Elvis".

(I guess I was saved that year, although I'd had previous church experiences.)

I don't remember which album I listened to first, but he was really cool and copied a ton of music over to tape for me, while I slowly worked on tracking down on CD for my own collection.

My roomate, who thought Rich Mullins hung the moon really let DA get under his skin. It was pretty funny.

I quickly began scouring the used record stores off campus. It was always great finding DA at the used stores, because I was always broke. I know I found Kalhoun, Miracle Faith Telethon, and others this way.

Later, I ended up working at a Christian Bookstore and taking advantage of the music distribution system. The stores would have instore demos set up, stores could purchase demo CDs.

Well, by 1994, albums like "Let's Spin" and "Fearful Symmetry" were long out of print on CD, but the distributors still had some of the in store demo CD's in stock. So, my boss was really cool and ordered the discs at 50% off, then let me buy them from him.

I've only seen Terry perform once: at GMA in Nashville in 1994. The Lost Dogs played at a VERY small venue. So, that was a cool experience.

The biggest let down is that the Dogs played in Atlanta in June, and I didn't know about it until the day after the show when I stumbed upon DA.com. Bummer.

Hopefully, they'll be back soon.
07-25-2004 02:52 pizzalero is offline Send an Email to pizzalero Search for Posts by pizzalero Add pizzalero to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Guess I'm one of the ancient ones here...... I first heard DA on one of the Maranatha compilations with "Ain't Gonna Fight It" when it first came out. Was that 3? Anyway, good Christian music was hard to come by at that time and Maranatha offered one of the few chances to hear new, up-and-coming contemporary artists. I still have most of their early releases on vinyl.

The first DA album I heard was the first one but wasn't real impressed, except for some stuff like Skeptic's Song (still like the style of that one). My first purchase of DA was Shotgun Angel. Man, side 2 blew me away! A concept album (or semi...) with overtures and all that - COOL! ("Somebody stamp me!!") It was light years ahead of most other Christian music to my ears. I then kept looking forward to the release of HD, what with Solid Rock being involved, etc. but had to keep waiting..... and waiting.... the bookstore must've gotten tired of me bugging them about it. Well, it was worth the wait. Awesome sound. Since then I followed them off and on.

Like Jiminy, I finally picked up SOTH in a bargain bin but what an album. I was always put off by the cover (sorry, guys). It has definitely become one of my favorites though. Greg's guitar playing on it was simply incredible sounding.
MBD ain't so bad either, but you all know how good that is.

Can't wait to hear the next one.Pleased Pleased

JB
07-25-2004 07:04 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

When I first got into "Christian Rock" (around 86-87), I read a review of Fearful Symmetry so I bought it. Since I was more into the "rah-rah Jesus" "turn-or-burn" type music at the time, this album was listened to only once before I gave it away. A couple years later, I was working at a Christian bookstore and one of my co-workers was a huge DA/SW/TST freak. He put together a compilation tape of 80's DA songs and I found I liked it quite a bit. And then when he introduced me to The Eddies, well, that pretty much did it for me.

SG

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

07-25-2004 12:06 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
My first time seeing Terry in 2000 I was a newbie DAmber...I could have swapped howdies with a lot more folks had I known - cuz
Dennis, Dale, Randy, Commander, Tony Shore, and Dear Dave Sjoberg were among that small group at the living room cafe.

I was not posting yet before that show we went all went to at the Living Room. I read some posts here & there.

However, I am pretty sure we parked in the parking lot at the same time and said "Hi" to each other!

That crappy strip mall that the Living Room was home to is long torn down and they are building a much nicer mall / apt. building.

07-25-2004 14:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jwaltb
I was always put off by the cover (sorry, guys). It has definitely become one of my favorites though. Greg's guitar playing on it was simply incredible sounding.
JB

I did not buy it when I saw it in the store because of the cover.
I bought the "Hats" bookset & love it!Cool

07-25-2004 14:28 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

In 1990 a few months after getting saved I saw the cassette of Fearful Symmetry on the shelf of the Christian Bookstore (In Invercargill New Zealand!!) I had a quick listen in the store was astounded and bought the tape. I week later I found DFBB at the store and got that. Oh Wow! It's been a wild ride since then.

07-25-2004 15:39 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

As a freshman college student in '80, I won HD at a Scripture Press raffle in Wheaton, then put my slip back in and won Alarma on the next drawing.

The DJ was all upset at me because we were live on the air and some kids were screaming "fix, fix". Why me, when it wasn't my fault (?)...

Also, the HD I won was on vinyl and Alarma on 8-track. Does that date me, or what? I could be that wacky Dallas guy with the scratch on his HD record (relax, I'm not.)

I'm also honored to have my alma mater's name mentioned in 'Hide the Beer'. Big Grin

John

07-25-2004 16:53 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

1977, I was 10.

My older brother was into country music. He had Shotgun Angel. When Paul Emery was just beginning with Harvest Productions, they brought DA to a high school in Illinois. Must have been around 1981. My brother took me to the show. He was really bummed about the change in musical style but, I was hooked forever. A band that became known as in-3d opened up for them.

A few years later, I remember Terry announced, at C-Stone, that DA was going to stop playing. Major bummer but, shortly after the Swirling Eddies were born. They had the "contest" in the j-card to guess who they really were. My friends and I were glad to see that Terry and Co. were still making music just in a different form. Good memories.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-25-2004 21:25 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH