Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Roe Article » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Roe Article 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lam77s
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Thumb Up! Roe Article Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

WOW! Big Grin

http://www.newsreview.com/issues/sacto/2004-10-28/
10-28-2004 15:14 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the link to the article! This is a great article that helped fill in some missing history for me. Of course, I didn't know a whole lot about Mike anyway, but it's great to find out things I didn't know. Cool Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
10-28-2004 18:43 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Excellent info. I've never seen that much about Mike in one place before. I always wondered if he was embarassed, didn't want to be a bad influence, or what since I never saw that much about him. I'll take honesty anyday and I appreciate him all the more now, after having read all that.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-28-2004 21:43 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Bryan Bryan is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 11-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow!
10-29-2004 12:28 Bryan is offline Send an Email to Bryan Search for Posts by Bryan Add Bryan to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow, I missed that. Interesting!!! Mike Roe and David Lynch in the same article Shocked Big Grin

10-29-2004 12:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1) I don't think the writer gives Mike's parents enough credit (I've gathered from live comments that they've been behind Mike's music from day one); 2) there IS no Somerset, NJ show Crying Crying Crying ;; and 3) from the WTF department: "If there is a low point to this period, it is the band’s 2001 album, A Golden Field of Radioactive Crows, a guitar-driven album full of overwrought, pseudo-hard-rock posturing and musical and lyrical clichés." Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Otherwise, a really good article. My favorite anecdote: "So, what’s a Pentecostal kid to do when his tastes veer more toward Led Zeppelin than “Just a Closer Walk With Thee”? As a teenager, Roe made his first attempts to reconcile the viewpoints. “In 1969, I was 15 and had a group called 'The Brotherhood,’” Roe explained. “That was a Christian [rock] band, but there wasn’t really anything like that at the time.” The biggest show the band ever played was opening for none other than Swaggart himself, to an enthusiastic audience of 15,000 who cheered the band’s Christian rock music with rapturous applause. Swaggart, not to be upstaged, followed up by giving a sermon on the evils of rock ’n’ roll music."

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
10-29-2004 12:48 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

swaggart is on the next earworms CD Pleased

10-29-2004 12:54 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

He was on the last one too. What's yr point? Tongue

10-29-2004 12:57 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

No, the real jimmy is gonna be there. I invited him to say a prayer near the end Pleased Tongue

10-29-2004 13:07 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool But.... But.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

But the imitations are so much less offensive.... Tongue

10-29-2004 13:11 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Bryan Bryan is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 11-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by carl
... and 3) from the WTF department: "If there is a low point to this period, it is the band’s 2001 album, A Golden Field of Radioactive Crows, a guitar-driven album full of overwrought, pseudo-hard-rock posturing and musical and lyrical clichés." Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad ..."

That line surprised me a bit too; though I must admit I agree with him.
Golden Field and Tom Tom Blues are, in my opinion, low points in the 77s catalog.
10-29-2004 13:13 Bryan is offline Send an Email to Bryan Search for Posts by Bryan Add Bryan to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Well, I HALF-agree with you, in that case... Big Grin

10-29-2004 13:16 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

Tom Tom is somewhat of a low point. I love Radioactive Pleased

10-29-2004 13:23 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

RE: But.... But.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Jimmy is looking for any attention these days. Tongue

10-29-2004 13:24 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Angry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

NOBODY FAITHS WITH THE FUNKY CROW THANG!!!

Tongue

10-29-2004 13:24 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool RE: But.... But.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
quote:

Jimmy is looking for any attention these days. Tongue

Did you bring up the possibility of gymnasts to him?

Tongue

10-29-2004 13:26 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

He said they have to be male and must look at him like a piece of meat.

10-29-2004 13:26 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Kinda brings a new meaning to the term "Hamm brother," doesn't it?

Shocked

10-29-2004 13:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin

10-29-2004 13:30 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

I'll say Crows is a low point. But Tom Tom is good.

but they glossed over a lot of good stuff released after 1989
10-29-2004 13:31 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Roe Article

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH