Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA bus » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA bus
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

DA bus Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hi, folks!

i think i've told this one before, but since the audioris asked, i'll tell it again.

(forgive me if you've heard this already.)

in 1984, right before the vox humana tour, the band bought an old converted school bus. it had enough room in it that we could fit an entire PA, all the lighting, amps, guitars, etc., and still have enough room that the band and road crew could all ride in this one vehicle.

it was still kind of a tight fit, and i would often climb up on top of the PA stacks and crawl to the mid-section of the bus where i could lie down, smoke a cigar and read a book. the stuff was packed high enough that as i lay there, my face would be about 8 inches from the ceiling of the bus. (yes, i had to smoke part of the cigar down before i could climb up
there.) i would sometimes even sleep up there on an overnight drive.

the band lineup was the vox lineup with rob watson on keyboards and greg on guitar. it was greg's first tour with us.

that ancient bus made it through the entire tour without too much trouble, (although i remember greg, mr. fixit-scientist-type-guy, with the hood up and half his body submerged into the engine compartment with just his legs sticking up as he was fixing something.)

one afternoon on our way home, we were on that road that heads down into las vegas, from the east side of las vegas going west.

i was laying up on top of the PA in the back when i heard this incredible metalic grinding sound and felt the bus shudder and start to swerve.

i looked up to see our soundman, and the guy who usually drove the bus (and thank God he was driving this time!) dave hackbarth standing up out of the driver's seat, clutching the wheel with both hands and putting all his weight into it to keep the bus from veering off the road and flipping over.

((dave was a HUGE, strong man. if he hadn't been driving, we'd all be dead right now. i'm certain that i would've died because of where i was in the bus. if it'd rolled, that woulda been it. i owe my life to dave hackbarth!))

no one knew exactly what had happened. dave wrestled the thing to a skidding stop on the side of the road and everybody filed out to take a look.

the right front wheel had come completely off as we were going about 50-55 mph down that road into las vegas. it was actually kind of funny; we looked at the part of the axle where the wheel attaches and it had been ground down into a half moon. it was smoking and on fire.

we turned to see the loose wheel hauling @$$ across the desert at about 90 mph, kicking up a cloud of dust like in a road-runner cartoon.

what happened was: knuckleheads that we are, we had neglected to actually have the bus serviced before we hit the road.

because of legal reasons, i can't tell you what we did with the bus after that.

but we owe our lives to dave hackbarth!!

NEXT WEEK: more tormenting-randy-stonehill-on-the-road stories!
01-28-2005 13:16 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have not heard that story tim. Crazy man Shocked

01-28-2005 13:20 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Big Grin

Truth be told, all of us should probably be dead considering some of the places we've ridden in vehicles! Tongue

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
01-28-2005 13:37 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

Thread Starter Thread Started by tchandler

hi dorf, and bereal!
01-28-2005 13:41 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Jeff Vaughn Jeff Vaughn is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-10-2005

Wow, Tim Chandler as I live and breathe!

That's a funny story ... and wellm funny. Did you guys paint the bus up with all sorts of pretty geometric designs and stuff?

Speaking of which, have you guys ever considered doing an album of one hit wonders pop bubble gum covers.

Sugar Sugar - The Archies
I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family
Wild Thing - The Troggs
Maniac - Michael Sambello
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany
Like a Virgin - Madonna
Lilli Lou - TST

and of course, Stairway to Heaven

Just a thought. Cigars ... dude, you must be a Henessey man too then.
01-28-2005 13:53 Jeff Vaughn is offline Search for Posts by Jeff Vaughn Add Jeff Vaughn to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Hi Tim!

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
01-28-2005 14:01 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hi Jev. er, Stu. er, i mean, Jeff. actually i quit smoking completely! but a cigar and some henessey does sound pretty good. i'd love to hear what berger and the eddies could do with "like a virgin"!
01-28-2005 14:02 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Very funny! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's a hoot! Now how can we encourage you to stop smoking those Havanas?

Wink

01-28-2005 14:05 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Gkk! gk! I AM NOT A VIRGIN! Damb you!!

01-28-2005 14:09 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Daniel Amos

hi, John! how's life?
01-28-2005 14:10 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Tim - Thats a great tale- you tell em all so well!

Honest - I think the part that intrigues me the most is you guys doin all them "on the road" things- at the time my kids and I thought you proly owned a jet!...

..famous Christian Artists..Cassettes in every store accross the country- touring all over...

ah - it was a grand illusion..!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-28-2005 14:11 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Get into the Bus, Aloha

from the album "Songs of the Heart"
Words by Terry Taylor
Music by Daniel Amos
©1995 Twitchen Vibes Music (ASCAP)

Last night I dreamt Aloha was floating,
Hanging like a picture in the skies over
New Jerusalem

Get back into the bus, Aloha
Back into the bus, Aloha baby
Get into the bus, Aloha
Hula if you must, but get back into the bus
Aloha baby, Aloha baby mine

You say a band plays inside your head
to the praise filling up your heart
You say you're dancing for the glory of God

But you leave me in the dark, Aloha
Do you want to break my heart, Aloha baby?
Get into the bus, Aloha
You're tearing us apart, Aloha baby

There's a place called "The Promise Land,"
It overlooks the ocean
With your own room and a lovely view
And a cure for your devotion

Last night I dreamt Aloha was floating,
Hanging like a picture in the skies over
New Jerusalem

You've crossed the line again
Your passion's an embarrassing thing
The crowd is laughing at us
So get into the bus, Aloha
When you lose control, Aloha
Where do you go, Aloha?

Hello in there.........

Get back into the bus, Aloha
Back into the bus, Aloha baby
Get into the bus, Aloha
Hula if you must, but get back into the bus

Cool
01-28-2005 14:13 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Daniel Amos

hi, jiminy! yes. you have no idea how exaggerated the illusion.
01-28-2005 14:14 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

aloha
remember , it means Both Hello and Goodbye........

01-28-2005 14:15 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hey, joey! Big Grin
01-28-2005 14:15 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Gkkkkk! WHAT?! I AM NOT AN ILLUSION! Where am I?

01-28-2005 14:17 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Tim - I know George wrote

When We was Fab.
but I really thought you guys just showed up in dressing rooms ..not that it was a curtain separating the last 4 seats from the rest of the amps.....

It would make for great reading-tales big and small
(big tales on a small budget)

01-28-2005 14:17 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
aloha
remember , it means Both Hello and Goodbye........

It's Hawaiian for "dude," you know... Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
01-28-2005 14:18 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Daniel Amos

terry has talked about putting a book together of some of the stories. i wouldn't be surprised if he does that eventually.
01-28-2005 14:20 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hi, carl!
01-28-2005 14:21 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA bus

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH