Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Alarma! cd quality control... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Alarma! cd quality control...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

CDs are the holey media! Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-26-2006 12:15 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

water , oxygen and sunlight
the three things that sustain organic life

is it any wonder it kills this man made crap?

(I am thinking in terms of the factory-would you wanna work at a chemical plant???- even one that made CDs?)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-26-2006 12:20 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I was talking to an optician one time when I got glasses and he said they never could get plastic manufacturers to make plastic that was really good enough quality for eyeglasses until after the advent of CDs (and the large increase in volume of plastic produced) that required great optical quality.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 07-26-2006 12:44.

07-26-2006 12:44 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Thumb Up! RE: CD decay Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by voxrob
It's not just the DA CDs that might be difficult to replace (heh, but I still have the LPs). This kind of problem could be a bit frightening.

I have them on CD, LP and Tape! Cool

No 8-Track though! Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 07-26-2006 14:54.

07-26-2006 14:54 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Uncle Ralph
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-608.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2002
Location: "I intend to live forever - so far, so good." Steven Wright

RE: CD decay Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Originally posted by voxrob
It's not just the DA CDs that might be difficult to replace (heh, but I still have the LPs). This kind of problem could be a bit frightening.

I have them on CD, LP and Tape! Cool

No 8-Track though! Shocked

I have them all on 8-track and nothing else! Pleased

07-26-2006 14:56 Uncle Ralph is offline Send an Email to Uncle Ralph Search for Posts by Uncle Ralph Add Uncle Ralph to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

you would! Tongue

07-26-2006 16:58 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
memo
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 07-18-2006

Thread Starter Thread Started by memo
i go away for a few days, and... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

wow- so many replies. Thanks for the nod, Tim. I'll take mp3's if that's all that's available- thank you to whomever offered this- anything is appreciated. To answer the tech questions:

-Yes, I've tried this in multiple computers, cd players, dvd players. I, too, have salvaged cd's before by ripping and burning them- but when I rip this, it rips the "skipping" along with the track, so that the ripped files are just as bad, which is what leads me to believe it's not a scratch (a scratch would give a read error from the computer. This computer reads the disc just fine, warts and all. It just happens to have a lot of warts.)

-I have always stored my records & cd's in as cool, dry place as possible, but I do live in New York City, and it gets mighty humid in August around here. Still, it's not THAT humid that cd's should be oxidizing. The cd's are pretty well taken care of (not that we don't all have accidents.) As much as I care for what I own, it is, after all, just material goods and I'm not one to go overboard on protecting my stuff; in the end, we're all dust anyway (even our precious DA albums.) I think there was a Jack Chick comic along these lines, showing how material goods won't last. Ah, Jack Chick...

-I'm pretty tech savvy, but no expert on cd-media... but I have read/heard that cd's are nowhere near the archival quality that the manufacturers trumpet. I don't expect any of these cd's to be working still in 50 years... even if they technically are ok, I doubt we'll have any machines that still read them. But hey, that's another discussion.

-And finally, I personally prefer records to cd's- their sound quality is superior, even if they are less practical. They have a big, warm, sweet interior sound that digital hasn't reached (yet). But that's yet another discussion, so I'll shut up now.

thanks again, and if Daniel Amos ever feels like making it over to New York (what's so great about the west coast, anyway?) they'll always have a place to stay.

-memo
07-26-2006 23:39 memo is offline Search for Posts by memo Add memo to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

hey, memo -- just curious: where in new york are you?
07-27-2006 09:08 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

memo-
check your PMs (at the bottom of the homepage for the message board.)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-27-2006 09:50 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Jack Chick

07-27-2006 09:57 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
memo
Dark Steamy Cabbage

big apple Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I live in Queens, work in Manhattan (freelance work, so it's actually all over the place.) I love it! Lots of crazy people all over; very alive. I did catch the Lost Dogs 4 years ago, when I first moved here. They played at a local church and we had the opportunity to film them. Being new to the city, I had a lot of free time and cut together this little live video, which you guys might have already seen, but what the hell:

http://foolfactory.com/haus/ximix.html

in case anyone hasn't.

But man, what I wouldn't give to see any incarnation / permutation of the band...
07-27-2006 11:29 memo is offline Search for Posts by memo Add memo to your Buddy List
memo
Dark Steamy Cabbage

um, why did the word "c-r-a-z-y" get replaced with "beeheaded"? Color me confused. I'm going to try typing it 3 times:

crazy crazy crazy
07-27-2006 11:32 memo is offline Search for Posts by memo Add memo to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Those audiori brothers automatically replace some words unless you know how to get around it. They are poopyheads.

07-27-2006 12:22 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by bigdork.ORG
you would! Tongue

Yes.

07-27-2006 14:26 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

RE: big apple Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by memo
I live in Queens, work in Manhattan (freelance work, so it's actually all over the place.) I love it! Lots of beeheaded people all over; very alive. I did catch the Lost Dogs 4 years ago, when I first moved here. They played at a local church and we had the opportunity to film them. Being new to the city, I had a lot of free time and cut together this little live video, which you guys might have already seen, but what the hell:

http://foolfactory.com/haus/ximix.html

in case anyone hasn't.

But man, what I wouldn't give to see any incarnation / permutation of the band...

That little movie of yours is AWESOME - thanks for sharing that. Good song.............

JimINy, who is my real-life brother, and I have a niece who lives in the New York area - we visited her 3 years ago. It was quite a trip for us MN folks to visit The Big Apple...............want to go back again!

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

07-27-2006 14:47 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Alarma! cd quality control...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH