Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Darn Floor Big Curiosity » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Darn Floor Big Curiosity
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, and maybe your fart was to God's glory (that's art, right?). But it was not in the sense that they mean.
01-07-2007 12:19 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Christian music, whether Rock or not, should advance His Kingdom in some way. The most obvious way it can advance the kingdom is by proclamation of the word of God. One of the problems with the detractors of Christian Rock is that they focus on the medium and not the message.

Music can convict, praise, sanctify, reprove, or even comfort by using Scripture to do so. To me, that's one of the purest and most effective ways to help Scripture to get into my heart and into my head.

Even if Scripture is not directly quoted, it can carry a good doctrinal or practical message by applying the concepts of Scripture. Occasionally, I run into a Christian song with bad doctrine behind it- like prosperity doctrine garbage. Those songs are to me more damaging than any secular music.

Music with immoral lyrics, no matter how well played is trash to me. In fact, if it's well played, I hate it even more because the skill of the musicians makes it appealling to listen to and thus allows my mind to be exposed to bad ideas. It's hard enough to try to focus on hating sin and trying to completely remove it from my life by allowing the Spirit to reign, without exposing myself to songs that glamorize it. I know others claim that they have liberty in Christ to hear what they will and I agree but I'm trying to really hate sin and I don't want it in my mind.

Music then becomes my best friend and my worst enemy because I can't stop it from playing in my head.

God's word never returns to Him without accomplishing that which it intended to do. If God's word is being proclaimed in song, it's being applied to minds.

01-08-2007 09:03 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Disjasked Lerna

Christian music, whether Rock or not, should advance His Kingdom in some way. The most obvious way it can advance the kingdom is by proclamation of the word of God. One of the problems with the detractors of Christian Rock is that they focus on the medium and not the message.

Music can convict, praise, sanctify, reprove, or even comfort by using Scripture to do so. To me, that's one of the purest and most effective ways to help Scripture to get into my heart and into my head.

Even if Scripture is not directly quoted, it can carry a good doctrinal or practical message by applying the concepts of Scripture. Occasionally, I run into a Christian song with bad doctrine behind it- like prosperity doctrine garbage. Those songs are to me more damaging than any secular music.

Music with immoral lyrics, no matter how well played is trash to me. In fact, if it's well played, I hate it even more because the skill of the musicians makes it appealling to listen to and thus allows my mind to be exposed to bad ideas. It's hard enough to try to focus on hating sin and trying to completely remove it from my life by allowing the Spirit to reign, without exposing myself to songs that glamorize it. I know others claim that they have liberty in Christ to hear what they will and I agree but I'm trying to really hate sin and I don't want it in my mind.

Music then becomes my best friend and my worst enemy because I can't stop it from playing in my head.

God's word never returns to Him without accomplishing that which it intended to do. If God's word is being proclaimed in song, it's being applied to minds.

01-08-2007 09:03 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Disjasked Lerna

Sorry for the double post. I have a trouble ticket in on this mouse!

01-08-2007 09:04 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Well, and maybe your fart was to God's glory (that's art, right?). But it was not in the sense that they mean.

well said...
he heeee

SS as great points - but when C artists are criticized for the lack of the J word...it doesnt make sense to me.

You mentioned the phrase "concepts of Scripture" - I wholeheartedly agree..and see that in a lot on Non C music too. there is a lot of "Pro God" music in this world- that deserves to be heard- just like there is some C music ..thats less than totally "Pro God-"
if ya know what i mean.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-08-2007 11:53 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
quote:
Originally posted by Eis

well said...
he heeee

SS as great points - but when C artists are criticized for the lack of the J word...it doesnt make sense to me.

You mentioned the phrase "concepts of Scripture" - I wholeheartedly agree..and see that in a lot on Non C music too. there is a lot of "Pro God" music in this world- that deserves to be heard- just like there is some C music ..thats less than totally "Pro God-"
if ya know what i mean.
I put that in there because I didn't want to imply that if you aren't quoting, your song is bad. There is fine secular music and there's nothing wrong with listening to it. As you know, I love a great deal of secular music, especially in the area of country and bluegrass. Before someone jumps on my case, I hate some country music because some of it is very immoral. When it comes on, I change the station.

Not everything I listen to is teaching a lesson, either. My criteria is that it doesn't promote sin. You can even sing about sin, so long as it's exposed for what it is.

01-08-2007 12:24 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

ss
hope you dint think i was jumpin on ya at all - I werent.

I just liked the way you phrased it.

biblical concepts lie outside of Chapter and verse too....

I recall a "controversy" about a great Kenny Marks song from the 80s called

White dress

about divorce - well, relationships mainly
a few asked "wheres the God reference in this?"

well- knowing what God feels about marriage- the song was right out of the pages of the book

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-08-2007 13:40 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

ditto and ditto, SS and Jiminy.
01-08-2007 13:48 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
ss
hope you dint think i was jumpin on ya at all - I werent.

I just liked the way you phrased it.

biblical concepts lie outside of Chapter and verse too....

I recall a "controversy" about a great Kenny Marks song from the 80s called

White dress

about divorce - well, relationships mainly
a few asked "wheres the God reference in this?"

well- knowing what God feels about marriage- the song was right out of the pages of the book
Quite the contrary, I thought you shared my viewpoint and were expounding on it.

01-08-2007 15:59 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
runewell runewell is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 02-19-2007

When I was in college in '89 and my relationship with God was really starting, a friend lent me a cassette of DFBB knowing I was into alternative music. I loved it, it was the right thing at the time. The only song I don't like is the first one, I think DA goes a bit overboard against televangelists and it just doesn't fit. But the rest of the album is great.

I bought the disc a couple years after and as I recall the artwork resembling the album cover was on the disc. Unfortunately something happened to the disc and the thing was rare enough so i wrote a letter to Frontline explaining my dismay and they sent me a new one for free! This disc has a picture of the band members on it but certainly looks nothing like '87.

I enjoyed Buechner's Dream and many of their other releases although I've lost touch with most of their works in the last ten years or so.
02-19-2007 01:01 runewell is offline Search for Posts by runewell Add runewell to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I always took the first song to be less about a televangelist and more about the band. Sort of a mocking of the demonizing of artistic rock music, from the perspective of reflecting the absurdity of 'assuming it was true';

Return Of The Beat Menace

from the album "Darn Floor - Big Bite"
Words and Music by Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and Greg Flesch
©1987 Broken Songs (ASCAP)

Again you announce while you whirl and bounce
Intentions to pounce on the beat menace

No woman or man could ever withstand
The devious plans of the beat menace

Come to lay you low, we've come to vex your soul

Feeling the heat, hell at your feet
Don't even speak of the beat menace

Something to take away your innocence
Someone to blame it on
Helps you to defeat
Dancing in the street

Come to lay you low, we've come to vex you

Resolved in your mind- the nature of crime
Is to swallow the line of the beat menace

Imagination's on the rise again
So hide your heart away
Dust off the fears and guilts and lies again
The beat is here to stay

Your satellite can reach that Eskimo
He buys a suit and tie
Re-styles his hair like girls in Tupelo
And sings "Sweet Bye And Bye"

He's meeting all your strange requirements
He thinks you can't be fooled
He'll get the rules and laws and sacraments
By sending checks to you

We've come to bring you low

02-19-2007 07:18 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

quote:
Originally posted by runewell
I enjoyed Buechner's Dream and many of their other releases although I've lost touch with most of their works in the last ten years or so.

welcome to the DAmb Cool

02-19-2007 09:14 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
The Trouble With X
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

I have yet to hear DFBB in its entirety yet. I've heard the title track on Our Personal Favorites, the remix of "Unattainable Earth" on MFT, and just recently, "Strange Animals" on the DA MySpace page. Would love to see it re-released.
02-23-2007 23:56 The Trouble With X is offline Search for Posts by The Trouble With X Add The Trouble With X to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

I have the orginal DFBB CD. I made my own version of DFBB - added a bit of compression and tweaked the EQ slightly.

My DA collection on CD:

Alarma (Stunt)
Alarma Chronicles Bookset
Bibleland (Brainstorm)
Daniel Amos (Maranatha!)
Daniel Amos - 30th (Stunt)
Darn Floor - Big Bite (Frontline)
Doppleganger (Stunt)
Fearful Symmetry (Frontline)
Horrendous Disc (Solid Rock - 2 copies)
Kalhoun (Brainstorm)
Live Bootleg '82 (Stunt)
Motorcycle (Brainstorm)
Motorcycle Tracks (Stunt/Brainstorm)
Mr Buechner's Dream (Galaxy 21)
Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits (KMG)
Preachers From Outer Space (Stunt - 2 copies)
Shotgun Angel (Maranatha!)
Songs of the Heart (Brainstorm)
Vox Humana (Refuge/Heartbeat)

02-25-2007 00:02 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I did not own DFBB until the "deluxe edition" was made available.

(By the way, there is a lot of humor in this thread.)

12-20-2008 05:02 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Concept

...just checking.

the Tuxedo Clad Megastar
Carmen
swiss vanilla booboo

Okay, the naughty word editor still works. Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 12-20-2008 11:08.

12-20-2008 11:00 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

new old news Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

DFBB was certainly original in every aspect. It's in a class by itself, and stands the test of time. The concept was very cool, although lyrically a bit obtuse at times.

But listen to some of the songs that seem awkward to me in their beat and/or time signature, like Beat Menace, the title track, or even my all-time favorite, Safety Net. I read a comment on the board a while back from Tim Chandler that even he thought the timing in that song was weird (not an exact quote).

As to the dissonance, you probably know what I mean. Listen alongside a sonic masterpiece like Motorcycle, and you'll see where I'm coming from. I'm not saying Motorcycle was better, but it was definitely more pleasing to the ear.

well, after disbelieving my ears for a long time and counting over and over and over while driving down the freeway which is where i get to listen to this stuff, i finally believed: the primary 7/4 guitar lick is two 7/8s repeated.
because the second one starts in between beats i was certain the second set changed up the pattern at least by one eight note, nope... what kind of twisted mentality can hang on to that with flubless success?

Psalm 119:83
06-18-2009 21:06 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Terry said that whenever they played the song live they never really knew if they could play it.

06-18-2009 21:35 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

RE: new old news Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
what kind of twisted mentality can hang on to that with flubless success?

Bah! Kid stuff for yer Livgrens and yer Zappas...
06-18-2009 23:49 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Not a comprehensive list, but a list no less.

06-19-2009 00:14 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Darn Floor Big Curiosity

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH