Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Thin White Rope » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Thin White Rope
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Thin White Rope Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

let's talk about unheralded bands, shouldn't we?

have any old geezers (like me) even heard of a band called Thin White Rope? they were formed in Davis, California, recorded on Frontier Records and their lead singer was a scientist!

I was a fan from the moment i heard "In The Spanish Cave". (this is another story but, the CD "in the spanish cave" brings back memories because it became part of the sonic backdrop to Marc Sercomb's rather disturbing bachelor party which featured, amongst other things, a
Dennis Hopper impersonator doing Frank Booth from "Blue Velvet"Smile

Thin White Rope drew thousands when they played places like Russia, but when i saw them at a club called Bogart's in Long Beach California, there were only 50 people there. on that night, they were touring behind "in the spanish cave" which was a strange mixture of western/desert/middle-eastern/mariachi music and the controlled guitar feedback and desperate, ragged vocals of Guy Keyser pretty much floored me. a criminally ignored band!

come on, tell us some of your favorites that we all should've heard of but haven't.
05-02-2007 10:23 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I remember Thin White Rope, specifically The Ruby Sea. Title cut's really good, as is the disturbing "Bartender's Rag", as in "wring out that bartender's rag" when the liquor's gone, it'll do.

The band's name has something in common with Steely Dan, and in both cases I digress from explanation for the benefit of good taste and not taking this thread down a truly dark path.

DwD
05-02-2007 11:14 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i've never heard of TWR, but they sound interesting. i'll look into them...

i did hear Tonio play at Bogarts at least once, but i don't think you were with him that night (those nights), were you Tim?

My son's band is unheralded, probably because they still don't have a name (i'm pushing for Pin Head Angels), they have only had one gig in 7 months, and their lone recording has reached only about 13 people and is horribly produced. i still hope they'll play at Bogart's some day...

Good to hear from you Tim! Hope and pray all is well with the family.
05-02-2007 13:29 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I never heard of thin white rope either, although that stime hould have been prime listening territory in high school for me. The name reminds me of a clothesline.
http://moonhead.linklord.com/
http://guitarbands.de/thinwhiterope.htm
http://www.thinwhiterope.com/

Hope you and yours are well, Tim!

What do you think of Derri's beard? Did he ever have one before?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-02-2007 13:46 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
I remember Thin White Rope, specifically The Ruby Sea. Title cut's really good, as is the disturbing "Bartender's Rag", as in "wring out that bartender's rag" when the liquor's gone, it'll do.

The band's name has something in common with Steely Dan, and in both cases I digress from explanation for the benefit of good taste and not taking this thread down a truly dark path.

DwD

you pique my curiosity and so I have to post the following (which will hopefully not take it down all that dark of a path) Smile

---------

The name "Thin White Rope" derives from a William S. Burroughs description of human semen.

----------

Being fans of Beat Generation literature, Fagen and Becker named the band (Steely Dan) for a steam-powered dildo in the William Burroughs novel Naked Lunch.

Got a few miles left ...

05-02-2007 13:57 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Crinklepot Crinklepot is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 04-17-2002

quote:

What do you think of Derri's beard?

I love Derri's Beard! Can't wait for them to make a CD..

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Crinklepot: 05-02-2007 15:15.

05-02-2007 15:15 Crinklepot is offline Send an Email to Crinklepot Search for Posts by Crinklepot Add Crinklepot to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

reading a bit too much Burroughs it seems.

taint heard of TWR...

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-02-2007 15:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

i haven't heard of thin white rope, either.

hope you are well, chandler! Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
05-02-2007 23:48 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Thin White Rope ~Elsie Crashed the Party, in Davis 1988

05-03-2007 19:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

this does not lead me to want to find any more of their music. it's just not my cup-o-tea.

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
05-04-2007 05:04 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
NonProphet NonProphet is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Government Cheese Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, back to "unheralded bands"...

Government Cheese was a band from Bowling Green, Kentucky that all of us at Western Ky University were all pulling for to go "big time" around 1986-89. Fun, rocking songs and a respectable following up and down the southeast US. They had lots of great original songs, but their show closer was a scorching cover of "People Who Died" (Jim Carroll Band).

Tommy Womack, singer and guitarist, has a blooming solo career down there in Nash now, and I uploaded some live footage to YouTube. Got to play with Billy Mack Hill, their bass player, a couple of shows. Great guys, and were called by some rock journalists "the best Athens GA band that wasn't from there."

Broderson

05-04-2007 08:18 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

Toy Matinee Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Although it has a bit of a late 80s sound Toy Matinee was another criminally underappreciated band. Music snobs like myself love them but the public at large ignored them. Great hooks, amazing musicianship, mature pop compositions, dour lyrics set against upbeat music... grand stuff! Their two videos are available on AOL music complete with big hair

http://video.aol.com/video-search/query/toy%20matinee
05-04-2007 09:29 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
reading a bit too much Burroughs it seems.

taint heard of TWR...

actually thin white rope made me think more of spermatic cords than semen Frown

Got a few miles left ...

05-04-2007 11:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I'm having trouble thinking of many great unheralded bands. Most all of the ones I like are at least well-known and "heralded" or recognized in some circles, even if they didn't sell a lot of records.

Got a few miles left ...

05-04-2007 11:33 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Does Eric Johnson make "mainstream" headlines enough to be considered "heralded"? I know he has been in guitar magazines a lot and won awards, received critical acclaim, etc. but he may not be that "popular" with the general public.

Got a few miles left ...

05-04-2007 11:35 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Well, I would have liked to see 2 lb Planet get greater recognition. Or even Robert Vaughn (not my uncle) and the Shadows/Dead River Angels.

NZ band Straitjacket Fits should really have gone places internationally too.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
05-05-2007 02:09 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

The The Twistoffs are a great little band out of Ohio.

They have a My Space page as well.

Check out the song "Strange Things."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 05-06-2007 12:23.

05-06-2007 12:22 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Josh&etc Josh&etc is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-401.gif

Registration Date: 11-29-2006

Re: Toy Matinee Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Toy Manatee is a much cooler name than Toy Matinee. I can't believe they didn't realize that.

05-06-2007 23:42 Josh&etc is offline Search for Posts by Josh&etc Add Josh&etc to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

Thumb Up! RE: Thin White Rope Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thin White Rope

Thin White Rope - 1990 - Sack Full Of Silver

Thin White Rope - 1985 - Exploring The Axis

06-05-2007 07:45 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
minutia minutia is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 02-25-2007

All of the unheralded bands that I start to like suddenly become heralded. Frown
06-05-2007 16:28 minutia is offline Search for Posts by minutia Add minutia to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Thin White Rope

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH