Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » radio play » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page radio play
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

images/avatars/avatar-448.gif

Registration Date: 06-17-2002

radio play Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i want to hear the new eddies on Christian radio... how do i go about it?

scream....
rant...
rave...
curlys on the floor... ?

ideas, if you have em.
08-06-2007 12:24 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
Josh&etc Josh&etc is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-401.gif

Registration Date: 11-29-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Crying

08-06-2007 14:33 Josh&etc is offline Search for Posts by Josh&etc Add Josh&etc to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i sent copies of Buechner and accompanying letters to our local station. They crossed out evrything about DA and used some of the rest of the letter in a commercial for the station. Nothing good seemed to come of this for the band. i've done the same with subsequent albums. There doesn't seem to be any harm in continuing to try as long as i keep my expectations low.
08-06-2007 14:41 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

I played DA and the Eddies on the radio back in the late 80s and early 90s... Cool But, alas, I don't work in radio anymore. I agree with Josh above, it takes $$ these days. Most of the station managers and deejays probably have very little knowledge of the history of Christian music anyway. They probably don't remember much before 4HIM. Roll Eyes
08-06-2007 14:55 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Lamp RE: radio play Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i heard Da on the "so-called" Christian radio stations in L.A. back in their heyday....
in the Alarma Chronicles days....
i have not heard them anytime on the radio for years.... Confused Frown
i think it was larryl who mentioned something about hearing them on satelitte radio?
there may be some hope for that.... Cool
but mainstream ccm radio? who really wants to wade through all the other crap on that to hear them anyways.... Roll Eyes Tongue

Cool
08-06-2007 15:06 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: radio play Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Does anybody remember when Paul Emery did the Harvest Rock show on WCRM? He played stuff that would never make it on Christian radio. As a result, he couldn't get sponsors. He resorted to having listeners donate to the show. I remember one time they mailed out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to everyone that donated.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
08-06-2007 15:10 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-341.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2006

RE: radio play Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.webradiowcwp.org

http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/radio/wcwp/wcwp_webradio.html

The above are 2 links given to me on the Lost Dogs site. Apparently, they have slots where really good music is played (Lost Dogs, TST, DA, etc.).

-Psalm 73:26
08-06-2007 16:06 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

We ship discs to a lot of radio stations on a regular basis (usually, at their request)... so, someone out there is playing them. Big Grin If anyone else has any potential show or station links that might be interested - either contact them and find out (and send us the address, etc) or post it here and we can check into it.

Since they're not on a label, there really isn't anyone constantly pushing it unfortunately. To do it right, I'd imagine its a full time job. But every little bit helps.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-06-2007 17:27 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by joey
i
but mainstream ccm radio? who really wants to wade through all the other crap on that to hear them anyways.... Roll Eyes Tongue

The idea is to expose other people to the band, not entirely just so we who know who these guys are can tune in. Not long ago Steve and DC, semifamous (secular) St Louis disc jockies played Swirling Eddies "I Luv crap Musak" on the air. I had people at work come up and tell me about it, because they had heard me talk about the band. People I knew loved the take on the song, they were laughing their burros to death. That kind of thing can create new fans.

Sometimes something very unique can get played, "Real Girls" was also like that it got radio airplay because it was strange, and had an interesting message.

08-06-2007 17:40 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Thread Starter Thread Started by navfox

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We ship discs to a lot of radio stations on a regular basis (usually, at their request)... so, someone out there is playing them. Big Grin If anyone else has any potential show or station links that might be interested - either contact them and find out (and send us the address, etc) or post it here and we can check into it.

Heres the address:

KSBJ Radio
P O Box 187
Humble, TX 77347

They're the only thing going in the Houston area, so there's alot of people that listen. But, they play the same thing over and over, they sure could use some Eddie culture around here!
08-06-2007 18:26 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool RE: radio play Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
quote:
i

The idea is to expose other people to the band, not entirely just so we who know who these guys are can tune in. Not long ago Steve and DC, semifamous (secular) St Louis disc jockies played Swirling Eddies "I Luv crap Musak" on the air. I had people at work come up and tell me about it, because they had heard me talk about the band. People I knew loved the take on the song, they were laughing their burros to death. That kind of thing can create new fans.

Sometimes something very unique can get played, "Real Girls" was also like that it got radio airplay because it was strange, and had an interesting message.

ok... as long as i don't have to listen to all the other stuff they play... Wink

Cool
08-06-2007 18:37 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by navfox
quote:
Originally posted by audiori

Heres the address:

KSBJ Radio
P O Box 187
Humble, TX 77347

They're the only thing going in the Houston area, so there's alot of people that listen. But, they play the same thing over and over, they sure could use some Eddie culture around here!

I don't wanna sound too cynical, buuuut, don't hold your breath.
I used to listen to KSBJ back in the 80's when I'd be visiting my folks. They used to do a late Saturday night "rock" show and I even heard a DA song on there once. But when it came to requests, it was a nogo, or at least I fell asleep before it would play.
Then, one of the DJ's got murdered and I heard later he was the guy doing the late show and it disappeared after that.

Sad.
KSBJ could really have a huge audience.
But concerning the average DA/Eddies/Dogs fan? KSBJ has 30 years of catching up to do.

08-06-2007 19:15 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I didn't know people still listened to radio. I thought it was all mp3 and web streaming anymore.

08-06-2007 20:14 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
Does anybody remember when Paul Emery did the Harvest Rock show on WCRM? He played stuff that would never make it on Christian radio. As a result, he couldn't get sponsors. He resorted to having listeners donate to the show. I remember one time they mailed out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to everyone that donated.

Paul J. Emery III practically saved my life!!!

I lived in the Joliet area from 1980-84, and a high school buddy turned me on to Harvest Rock (yes, I could get WCRM all the way down there if I wrapped myself in aluminum foil and held on to the radio antenna). Had it not been for that, I would have been doomed to Southern Gospel limbo!

The show bit the dust, unfortunately, but I can't help but think Paul, John Rogers & Company left a distinct impression on WCRM's Program Directing staff, as they continued to program more "progressive" music into their playlists later into the evening hours for a while to come after HR's demise.

I'd forgotten about the PBJ promo - as I recall, it was peanut butter only: you got the "jam" on the radio! Cool

Then Paul went to work for Petra, whereupon they immediately began to s.u.c.k.!

Go figure.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 08-06-2007 20:19.

08-06-2007 20:18 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Thread Starter Thread Started by navfox

quote:

I don't wanna sound too cynical, buuuut, don't hold your breath.
I used to listen to KSBJ back in the 80's when I'd be visiting my folks. They used to do a late Saturday night "rock" show and I even heard a DA song on there once. But when it came to requests, it was a nogo, or at least I fell asleep before it would play.
Then, one of the DJ's got murdered and I heard later he was the guy doing the late show and it disappeared after that.

Sad.
KSBJ could really have a huge audience.
But concerning the average DA/Eddies/Dogs fan? KSBJ has 30 years of catching up to do.

Yea, I know what you mean. They (KSBJ) does have a Saturday night show, listened to it once or twice (not much to mention).... KSBJ has surprised me though a couplea times, they have let a good song slip through in between the top 40 CCM piece of hits, so I think there is hope for our little "Piece of Hit" to hit the airways!

And who knows, maybe a 5 million people might hear the Eddies for the first time and there'll be such an amazing outcry for them down here in Texas that they just might pack up their "Ten gallon Hats" and move!

Hey, you can only dream, right?!? <grin>
08-06-2007 21:24 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

Shoots, fo'get FM radio. We need a Sirius channel devoted only to DA etc.
Trying to get them on mainstream radio now is like thinking you can string telephone lines in Mexico........fo'get it already, go satellite.

08-06-2007 23:56 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
mike mike is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-15-2004

radio Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've worked in xian radio for the past 15 years, from little am stations
to a syndicated show heard on 120 stations all over the US.

Most stations look at the charts and just play what is on the top 40
or whatever.

The station I work at now we do things a little different. We play
what is on the charts but we also add in what we like. In our
music system I have , Cash, Colburn, Taylor, 77's, Dogs, Innocence
Mission, Theo and I even have a couple of songs from Jim Wiita in there. Smile

If it was up to me I would only play music that I like but you can't
push away the audience. I do mix it up but honestly it is very
difficult to play some of the above mentioned in the midst of
3rd day, Matt Redman, etc. It really sticks out like a sore thumb.

When I do play good stuff i usually have to play a classic song
before it, Keith Green, Amy Grant, etc. It works then, but
coming from some over compressed repetitive bubble gummy
top 40 song honestly it is +gulp+ not good programming.
I have been wanting to stick something from the new se cd
on there - which by the way i think is their best - but honestly
there is not one song on there that would fit in with the current
xian playlist.

m

08-07-2007 08:34 mike is offline Send an Email to mike Homepage of mike Search for Posts by mike Add mike to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:

Paul J. Emery III practically saved my life!!!

I lived in the Joliet area from 1980-84, and a high school buddy turned me on to Harvest Rock (yes, I could get WCRM all the way down there if I wrapped myself in aluminum foil and held on to the radio antenna). Had it not been for that, I would have been doomed to Southern Gospel limbo!

Wow, I'm impressed that you could get the station in Joliet.

quote:
The show bit the dust, unfortunately, but I can't help but think Paul, John Rogers & Company left a distinct impression on WCRM's Program Directing staff, as they continued to program more "progressive" music into their playlists later into the evening hours for a while to come after HR's demise.

Maybe you, me and my buddy's were the only ones that listened.

quote:
Then Paul went to work for Petra, whereupon they immediately began to s.u.c.k.!

Go figure.

I don't remember him working for Petra. Are you sure? Even so, you can't blame Paul for that. Some (myself included) would say that Petra sucked from the beginning.

Paul managed the band that I was in and when nothing came of our group, he went on to manage the Choir and Margaret Becker.

Now he is here.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
08-07-2007 09:21 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
I don't remember him working for Petra. Are you sure? Even so, you can't blame Paul for that. Some (myself included) would say that Petra sucked from the beginning.

Well, for certain Paul left the Chicago area in Autumn of 1983 (leaving the radio show, and I believe the bulk of Harvest Productions' management, in the hands of John Rogers). I recall Rogers and his new co-host played "Lucas McGraw" off Petra's 1st album on the show in Paul's honor because: A) Paul's new home was Gnashville, TN, and B) his new occupation was with Petra's organization in some capacity (booking agent, perhaps?).

As for Petra themselves, IMHO they did some respectable, tasteful work in the early 80s (and I can't really knock their pre-GXV stuff, either, though I probably wouldn't use the word "tasteful" to describe their 1st record - it was more "quaint", that one) that could be appreciated by a mature, thinking, musically literate audience, but Beat The System flushed all that straight down the crapper (for which they alone bear all responsibility - not blaming Paul at all, just noting the cruel irony. Tongue )

quote:
Paul managed the band that I was in

Do tell - what were you called, and what time period are we talking here?

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 08-08-2007 00:19.

08-07-2007 19:11 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
i heard Da on the "so-called" Christian radio stations in L.A. back in their heyday....
in the Alarma Chronicles days....
i have not heard them anytime on the radio for years.... Confused Frown
i think it was larryl who mentioned something about hearing them on satelitte radio?
there may be some hope for that.... Cool

xm 31, the torch has played DA, the choir, lost dogs, etc....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

08-07-2007 20:32 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » radio play

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH