Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (18): « first ... « previous 10 11 [12] 13 14 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? 5 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.20
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
minutia minutia is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 02-25-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh well. I think I said it before, but it may be better without him. Big Grin
10-24-2007 22:48 minutia is offline Search for Posts by minutia Add minutia to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
hmmm..no cinema girl? Cool

Theres a lot that Larry left out of his line up.

No biggie.. easy solution - Buy the HD sessions collection from DA. Happy

But it would have been so much better with ONE complete HD version, and not one CD-R with crappy home printed inserts from Larry, and one HD-Sessions CD from Stunt.....
10-25-2007 02:34 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
But it would have been so much better with ONE complete HD version, and not one CD-R with crappy home printed inserts from Larry, and one HD-Sessions CD from Stunt.....

So, you're not a fan of CD-R's and "crappy home printed inserts" then?

10-25-2007 09:54 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

dang..
what will I do with all that stuff I jus got insti-printed layin around in my basement??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concerning Cinema Girl..
I heard it was a song that the boys did about the HD era...- wasnt trying to be too mysterious.

I got LNS "Historical Archive" series of HD - that will tide me over (like adn appoaching wave??) til something I think "complete" comes down the pipe.

Nice that its out there though-

n I did note the produceers name LN felt obliged to include in his write up. Wink

he did do a decent write up on teh version I have too..

(15.9Cool

Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc
For hard-core Daniel Amos fans, no amount of superlatives can do justice to this album. To them, this legendary recording was the pinnacle of DA's coolness.

Albums came and went. Even a four-part apocalyptic "concept album" with diverse songs about surfers, and dancing couldn't somehow catch the vision that Horrendous Disc presented. This one album maximized their popularity with the general public who were soon left behind. Only the hard work of CCM journalists like John Quincy Newcombe and his unbroken succession of ecstatic album reviews kept the term "genius" and Terry Taylor in many reader's minds. His works were not always easy to find. But journalists and fans carried the banner high, and kept the middle-of-the-road people mindful of his meaningful music.

Meanwhile, Terry became a well respected muse for the underground Christian sub-culture. He not only made fascinating music with DA, The Swirling Eddies, and The Lost Dogs but he became the producer for many other artist's projects. He is still revered today as much as he was in the Eighties. Recently, two thousand copies of the "Alarma Chronicles" were printed and by the end of next year they will all be gone. So go to danielamos.com and track down all the projects released since the Eighties before you get left behind. (And check out bootlegs of his gospel country albums, which were originally released on Maranatha!)

This CD contains all nine original songs released on the U.S. Version. The extensive CD booklet contains some photos not seen before plus liner notes that delve into the behind-the-scenes drama of what has been a subject of wild speculation for the last twenty years. Drama, intrigue, mystery. It's all here.

1. I Love You #19
2. Hound Of Heaven
3. near-sighted girl w/ approaching Tidal Wave
4. Sky King (Out Across The Sky)
5. On The Line
6. I Believe In You
7. Man In The Moon
8. Never Leave You
9. Horrendous Disc

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
10-25-2007 12:21 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I just received the new Horrendous Disc. I'm fast forwarding through it quickly. Some of the original 9 songs sound like alternate or remixed versions. I will have to sit and seriously listen. I'm certain these are different versions. I wonder if Larry realized this. Does this make this a collector's item?

Very cheap packaging. One folded page booklet made on a copy machine. CD is a CD-R with a sticker. Only tracklist is inside the booklet.

Did anyone else get theirs?

Yes I'm ashamed to pay the price for this, but it's DA and I was curious. I really wish Larry and Stunt could have worked together.

11-03-2007 15:00 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I just received the new Horrendous Disc. I'm fast forwarding through it quickly. Some of the original 9 songs sound like alternate or remixed versions. I will have to sit and seriously listen. I'm certain these are different versions. I wonder if Larry realized this. Does this make this a collector's item?

Very cheap packaging. One folded page booklet made on a copy machine. CD is a CD-R with a sticker. Only tracklist is inside the booklet.

Did anyone else get theirs?

Yes I'm ashamed to pay the price for this, but it's DA and I was curious. I really wish Larry and Stunt could have worked together.

*GASP*

This is bad. Very bad. $25 for a CD-R with photo-copied art? I haven't received mine yet. What date did you order yours Mark? Maybe it's not too late to cancel mine. Confused

If this is in fact the case, I say The Ultimate Horrendous Disc should happen anyway. Maybe it won't be as complete as what we could have had, but DA deserves better treatment than this.

*GASP*

11-03-2007 19:00 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Oh I agree with the cheapness of the way it is put out. It's a crime.

I will say that you are not paying for just the few extra songs though, the original songs are different versions. So it's really like you're paying for all new songs.

I think I ordered the second day after it was listed here. It just came in the mail today.

11-03-2007 19:12 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Oh yeah, even the extra songs are different versions than you've heard before.

11-03-2007 19:13 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

I really wanted better sounding versions of the original songs. I have the Historical Archive version which, according to what I've read, is inferior to the 2nd version Larry released. To my ears, "Sky King" sounds just awful on the version I have. All of the songs sound a bit murky. This whole thing is nuts.

11-03-2007 19:20 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

I need time to sit down and just listen still to judge the quality. I was just listening on my computer when I typed the note about it earlier.

11-03-2007 19:31 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Did Larry rush this out because... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

he knew that Stunt was planning on a release?

I sent an email to Larry's camp and they were a bit defensive. Larry always has really great liner notes for his own releases. Why would he cheese this release when he knew that DA fans and the Townsends were willing to pony up the cash and make a quality release?

How much would it be to purchase everything from Larry? I don't know if he could be trusted. He would claim to have sent over the master tapes only to find out he rerecorded his voice over all of them with a jazzy piano arrangement.

Seriously, how much to purchase the tapes and the rights from Larry. He can spend it on his health issues. I wish I had the money to purcahse them along with all of Stonehill's stuff.

I still listen to Larry's stuff. He has made some good folkie Christian music. I just don't understand his ego getting in the way of allowing classic music to survive another generation if it doesn't feature him.
11-03-2007 20:47 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Sublime Brain Puppet

most of (all?) the releases from Solid Rock the last few years have been CD-Rs with "home printed" one sheet inserts....
11-04-2007 01:47 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Last I heard, they wanted $50,000 for the album. But that was a few years ago.

11-04-2007 03:16 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Myron

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Last I heard, they wanted $50,000 for the album. But that was a few years ago.

So are you still considering including the original Maranatha version of HD with the rest of the HD session era bonus tracks that you have on the Stunt version? I think that would make it a very interesting and compelling release in it's own right.
11-04-2007 03:30 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Myron

quote:

So Mark what are the extra songs like? Are you saying "After All These Years" and "Fairy Tale" are different than the tracks we've heard in the past? And what about the other unfamiliar songs, are they decent recordings and similiar in style to HD?
11-04-2007 03:32 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Frown Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Whats really sad is thats exactly what we told Larry we wanted to avoid... a huge price tag on a CDR release and a single sheet insert. He said that it wouldn't happen because only the novelty releases were released that way. We knew that wasn't exactly the case because we had some of his recent releases sitting on our desk at the time and they were definitely CDRs.

Very sad to hear that it was released in that form. I wouldn't encourage anyone to order it if thats the way its been done. Frown

We definitely have to make up for it with the Stunt release... DA fans shouldn't have to pay $ $27.48 for a shoddy CDR. There have been some ideas being thrown around about how we might be able to do something really special for folks.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-04-2007 03:53 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

quote:
Originally posted by dfroystad
most of (all?) the releases from Solid Rock the last few years have been CD-Rs with "home printed" one sheet inserts....

This is how this "new" HD is...

11-04-2007 07:53 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

quote:
Originally posted by Myron
quote:

So Mark what are the extra songs like? Are you saying "After All These Years" and "Fairy Tale" are different than the tracks we've heard in the past? And what about the other unfamiliar songs, are they decent recordings and similiar in style to HD?

I still need to do side by side comparisons, but again, yes many of the songs sound different than the official released versions. I haven't listened to the original "After All These Years" in a long time, so I'd have to go find my original version to compare it.

The other "new" songs sound like they were recorded back in the 1977-1980 timeperiod.

11-04-2007 07:56 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Sublime Brain Puppet

why don't Stunt licence the album for the deluxe reissue ? Solid Rock would probably make more $$$ on a deal like that rather than sales of a CD the fans of the band don't want to buy.
11-04-2007 09:28 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Because Larry would ask a ridiculously high price.

11-04-2007 09:42 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (18): « first ... « previous 10 11 [12] 13 14 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH